• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT ** Tottenham Hotspur v Man United 29/9/24 at 4.30pm **

Dunno
To have an Xg of over 5 shows we were doing a hell of a lot right in final third
We did have moments of poor choices
We also had 3 one on ones saved by a keeper who is actually very good at them (sometimes we should credit the opposition)
But it was more than a win IMO
It was a statement win
Dominant again a team who are meant to be our challengers
Yeah i agree this was a game where we actually had shots and worked the keeper beyond even the goals we scored. There was good ball possession but importantly we did actual things in the penalty box. We could have even had more with a more competent finisher than Werner and a little luck with the 2nd Johnson chance and the half volley from Romero.

I agree it's a statement but more so for the hype. United are brick, beating them is good but we can't get hyped on it. We SHOULD be beating them and handily like we did. They are awful.

Yeah 8 agree this was a game where we actuall had shots and worked the keeper. There was good ball possession but importantly we did actual things in the penalty box. We could have even had more with a more competent finisher than Werner.

I agree it's a statement but more so for the hype. United are brick, beating them is good but we can't get hyped on it. We SHOULD be beating them and handily like we did. They are awful.
They're not good, but we made them look awful. They're not actually that bad.

If our performance up until the red card is just what we "should" be doing we're in for some ride this season. Because we really were excellent.

They're not good, but we made them look awful. They're not actually that bad.

If our performance up until the red card is just what we "should" be doing we're in for some ride this season. Because we really were excellent.
It's promising because since the Brentford match we've definitely been playing with a lot more pace and intention. It's actually making the defenders work and second guess what's happening and then helps our forwards in turn like Johnson giving him some breathing space that he needs.

I don't expect it to work as well as it did the first half against everyone but it gives hell of a lot more of a chance than the overly slow and overly intricate play we were trying in the first 3 league games.

What a win. Utd had a few spells but we were well ahead of them. Don’t watch much Man U but since ETH has come in I’m still not sure on the plans he’s trying to implement.

I wonder what the rhetoric would have been if the challenge for the Red was Romero and not Bruno! I think it’s a bit of a harsh red but he was stupid enough to give the referee a decision to make and it’s not a clear and obvious error to overturn as it’s a foul!

For Werners lack of final product I do think he gives us good balance allowing the space for Maddison and Kulu to operate.

Anyway 3-0 at OT take that any day of the week!

On the red card, I didn't think it was a red but I've f**k all sympathy for Fernandes. He's admitted he cynically tried to foul Maddison as we were breaking (which provides further proof Jamie Redknapp is a roosterwomble - "he went for the ball and slipped").

Maybe that's not a red but it f**king should be and it tinkles me off to see that sort of cynicism being coached into young players. I saw a pretty sickening example of it at an under 13 game this week - kids learn this brick from the pros. I know you can never make every cynical foul a red because it's impossible to prove intent but I've no sympathy for Fernandes when it happens like this.

On the red card, I didn't think it was a red but I've f**k all sympathy for Fernandes. He's admitted he cynically tried to foul Maddison as we were breaking (which provides further proof Jamie Redknapp is a roosterwomble - "he went for the ball and slipped").

Maybe that's not a red but it f**king should be and it tinkles me off to see that sort of cynicism being coached into young players. I saw a pretty sickening example of it at an under 13 game this week - kids learn this brick from the pros. I know you can never make every cynical foul a red because it's impossible to prove intent but I've no sympathy for Fernandes when it happens like this.
Should have been a red for Ugarte for taking out Kulu when he put Werner through first half

It's promising because since the Brentford match we've definitely been playing with a lot more pace and intention. It's actually making the defenders work and second guess what's happening and then helps our forwards in turn like Johnson giving him some breathing space that he needs.

I don't expect it to work as well as it did the first half against everyone but it gives hell of a lot more of a chance than the overly slow and overly intricate play we were trying in the first 3 league games.
I’d say it’s because we not inverting as much which leaves room for other players to do their job
Also helps having the discipline for players to stay wide or to come inside as a plan (son came inside more vs brentford and Maddsion went wide as part of the plan)

Roosterwomble is a new personal favourite. Also need a new keyboard as I've just sprayed this one with coffee...

I love that we waited until we were away at a hoodoo ground for us, and that it took a central defender to truly show a true understanding of Angeball.

I've no doubt that VDV like every player on the pitch has it drummed into him all week to build the play around the principal of playing through the lines, getting in behind down the flanks and then getting the ball across the edge of the six yard box. Its literally worthy of being trademarked, its such an Ange philosophy.

The fact that VDV took it on himself to gallop into a position to do that after 3 minutes set the tone.

Also, whether he's able to finish or not, Werner suits this approach better than Son - Sonny is rarely at the back post hovering for a tap in where Johnson is making a name for himself, or where Timo was yesterday only for Mazraoui to step in.

I love Sonny but I think we need an Ange intervention as per Kulu to find his best place in the team.

I love that we waited until we were away at a hoodoo ground for us, and that it took a central defender to truly show a true understanding of Angeball.

I've no doubt that VDV like every player on the pitch has it drummed into him all week to build the play around the principal of playing through the lines, getting in behind down the flanks and then getting the ball across the edge of the six yard box. Its literally worthy of being trademarked, its such an Ange philosophy.

The fact that VDV took it on himself to gallop into a position to do that after 3 minutes set the tone.

Also, whether he's able to finish or not, Werner suits this approach better than Son - Sonny is rarely at the back post hovering for a tap in where Johnson is making a name for himself, or where Timo was yesterday only for Mazraoui to step in.

I love Sonny but I think we need an Ange intervention as per Kulu to find his best place in the team.
Unfortunately, Son's best position in this team would be where Kulu/Maddison are playing- because that's the position in Ange's system that receives the ball where Son likes to receive it: on the edge of the box in space. However, unlike Kulu, I'm afraid Son probably doesn't have the pure technique/vision or passing ability to make that work. Ange himself said recently he sees Son's best position as off the left flank. The fact that him playing there limits the effectiveness of the system overall says to me we may well consider a big offer for Sonny in the summer if we are serious about trying to make this system work.

Unfortunately, Son's best position in this team would be where Kulu/Maddison are playing- because that's the position in Ange's system that receives the ball where Son likes to receive it: on the edge of the box in space. However, unlike Kulu, I'm afraid Son probably doesn't have the pure technique/vision or passing ability to make that work. Ange himself said recently he sees Son's best position as off the left flank. The fact that him playing there limits the effectiveness of the system overall says to me we may well consider a big offer for Sonny in the summer if we are serious about trying to make this system work.
The ball bounces off son and he isnt a quick thinker
He is an exceptional finisher
For the sake of Ange ball and the clubs success I hope we look at phasing out sonny more and more

Sadly I agree, he's been fantastic for us and like Kane a true legend.
Yep
I don’t think you will find a sane spurs fan who doesnt believe that
Does worry me though that some can’t see how his strengths don’t align to how we play now though
Was on a call last week with a few colleagues from Seoul and I’ve never met them before. They saw my spurs background stuff in my office and were telling me how good the new kid is Yang

The ball bounces off son and he isnt a quick thinker
He is an exceptional finisher
For the sake of Ange ball and the clubs success I hope we look at phasing out sonny more and more
I think he is a quick thinker but it's more his vision - i.e. he is a quick thinker but he's limited in terms of his thinking. He comes alive around the box so he's very alive to a quick one-two or a pocket of space to dive into but if he receives the ball in midfield or out wide and there's no obvious immediate route to goal I think he struggles with what to do and often then tries to run into dead ends or banks of Defenders or just passes the ball back.

Ultimately it's clear as day what Ange wants his wingers to do for his system to work and actually it's dead simple: when we have the ball in midfield or defence you've got to be wide.
If you get the ball you need to run for the line and hit it low across goal.
If we have the ball on the opposite flank have the ball you need to head straight for the back post.

That basically goes against every instinct Sonny has as a footballer and that's the fundamental problem.

Last edited:
Sadly I agree, he's been fantastic for us and like Kane a true legend.

I wonder if he's got a target for his last 2 seasons here with us? Winning a cup would be incredible.

But in terms of personal targets, he's got 11 goals to overtake Chivers and 45 to overtake Smith to get to be our 4th/3rd highest goalscorer of all time. The Smith one is probably a bit beyond him (45 in all competitions in two years he hit between 2020-22, but I don't think that will happen again), but he could easily surpass Chiv this season.

WE KEPT A CLEAN SHEET AGAIN!!

Woo-hoo! :cool:

I was a bit fearful we'd see another 'SAF Old Trafford Spurs' performance, when i thought of the extra day's rest they had PLUS us playing with 10 men for over 80 minutes on Thursday.

But boy what a start (though again, how often have we sen that at OT ony to be VERY disappointed by the end).

Went for a River walk with some mates and timed it to end up somewhere we could find a nice, cosy and friendly pub in East London to watch the match. One of my friends is a Manure fan and said all week we'd beat them 3-0 (he's been ETH out since before they won the league cup in February 2023, so...)

Only after the sending-off could i start thinking we'd do it (after the misses we had up to that point, how could ANY of us be confident).

Some things still to work on (our finishing is still quite poor overall i think, and i still feel we let them have a few to many chances even when WE had the man advantage), but lovely to get some very mouthy Mancs (not my friend btw) to start crying!!

COYS

I think he is a quick thinker but it's more his vision - i.e. he is a quick thinker but he's limited in terms of his thinking. He comes alive around the box so he's very alive to a quick one-two or a pocket of space to dive into but if he receives the ball in midfield or out wide and there's no obvious immediate route to goal I think he struggles with what to do and often then tries to run into dead ends or banks of Defenders or just passes the ball back.

Ultimately it's clear as day what Ange wants his wingers to do for his system to work and actually it's dead simple: when we have the ball in midfield or defence you've got to be wide.
If you get the ball you need to run for the line and hit it low across goal.
If we have the ball on the opposite flank have the ball you need to head straight for the back post.

That basically goes against every instinct Sonny has as a footballer and that's the fundamental problem.
Ange wants wingers
Son is a wide forward
Son wants to score
Ange ball is about creativity as much as the goals
It’s like you say… a problem

Back