• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT ** Tottenham Hotspur v Man United 29/9/24 at 4.30pm **

It's easy - and a bit lazy - to cast Werner as the new Bobby Soldado. But I was pleased with his play overall on Sunday.

Took up good positions, made good runs, passed well and planted tasty crosses into the box. Even worked back to defend. Yeah, woulda been great to see him score. But we're seeing a process taking hold. As long as he works within that process, more chances will come. Best thing he can do is stay positive and maybe emulate Harry Kane's post-training routine and work hard on his finishing techniques.

The other bright positive to take from the game is seeing what Kulu can do taking up a more central position. That had to be his best game ever for Spurs. Showed great understanding with Johnson and Maddison. Opens up all sorts of possibilities for Ange to work with moving forward.
There's not a lot wrong with his finishing. It's his temperament, he makes bad decisions in front of goal. He's done it for years. If we accept he's a source of chaos and assists, and don't load him with goal expectation as a fan base we will find him less irritating, but as the wonderful G.Neville said on Sunday, it was obvious he wasn't going to score each time because he just exudes nervousness in front of goal. Instinctive stuff might come off, but a moment to think and he will fluff his lines. GHod knows we have had a few of them. Keane, Defoe, and Pavlyuchenko all were like that, no thought, worldie, a moment to think and they'd hit the keeper half the time.

That domination chart highlights what we've seen in a few games, Spurs are on top but start to tire badly, and Ange lets us struggle for 5-10 mins before making subs. I'm not sure if this is on purpose to really wring out the maximum from those players, or he can't see when players are blowing out their backsides and no longer able to hit maximum dynamic movement.

Valid observation, not sure if it's building players fitness or still easing in the younger/less experienced players (how much/long in game we would like to them on for?)

That domination chart highlights what we've seen in a few games, Spurs are on top but start to tire badly, and Ange lets us struggle for 5-10 mins before making subs. I'm not sure if this is on purpose to really wring out the maximum from those players, or he can't see when players are blowing out their backsides and no longer able to hit maximum dynamic movement.
Is it that clear cut? Cos for me the changes on Sunday weren't tiring players so much as it was simply shifting the emphasis from creativity to solidity. Maddison for Sarr for instance, albeit Sarr got an assist shortly after, was done to add steel and running...

Or a team is getting well beaten and has to up the gears a little to take more risks at 2 down

Is it that clear cut? Cos for me the changes on Sunday weren't tiring players so much as it was simply shifting the emphasis from creativity to solidity. Maddison for Sarr for instance, albeit Sarr got an assist shortly after, was done to add steel and running...
Precisely my point, running.
In every match we have players absolutely knackered around 60, they are blowing hard and struggling to maintain the exceptional work rate... we watch them tire and tire and make subs 10 minutes later

Indeed, it was pretty clear to me that we were just playing more conservatively. Generally slowing the game down, going sideways and backwards instead of fast passes forwards and were not really pressing them any more.

Hopefully a good sign that we are working to manage our energy for games in what cold (hopefully) be a long season..?

Back