• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Those are the sort of players that Tottenham have Sankara prioritised insert ENIC. Young, cheap and with potential to develop and hold resell value. We buy those players regardless of who the coach is.

Poch happened to suit them, it was not us buying for his style or sensibilities.

Another coach might work in the way Poch did but there are no guarantees. I don't believe there is a grand plan and certainly no grand vision with the nous to implement.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

It certainly doesn't look like there's been a plan since we left WHL but if you're going to have a transfer policy that remains whoever the manager is then you'd best appointed a manager who can thrive in those conditions. Whether by luck or judgement Pochettino was that manager, so Levy needs to cotton on to why that was the case and factor it in to his future managerial appointments if he wants to get one right again.

Or jistappoint a manager that fits the way we're going to operatein the market?

The open question is if the way we operate in the market is sufficient to keep us where we have been floating this past decade.

Chelsea will spent 250m+ every year. City already do. Saudi Sportswashing Machine will do so. United already do.

That's four heavy spenders. Liverpool spend in bursts, Arsenal have spent 500m just backing Arteta.

Villa, West Ham, etc. are now spending 100m+ every year.

We can't defy gravity forever, but if we fall back to 5th-6th - what was the stadium for, what was the last decade for?

It's stick or twist time, I think.

The open question is if the way we operate in the market is sufficient to keep us where we have been floating this past decade.

Chelsea will spent 250m+ every year. City already do. Saudi Sportswashing Outfit will do so. United already do.

That's four heavy spenders. Liverpool spend in bursts, Arsenal have spent 500m just backing Arteta.

Villa, West Ham, etc. are now spending 100m+ every year.

We can't defy gravity forever, but if we fall back to 5th-6th - what was the stadium for, what was the last decade for?

It's stick or twist time, I think.

We're 3rd/4th highest spenders since moving in to the stadium so more than enough to remain competitive in the long term - we just need to be alligned between manager & transfers in order to make it work.

It certainly doesn't look like there's been a plan since we left WHL but if you're going to have a transfer policy that remains whoever the manager is then you'd best appointed a manager who can thrive in those conditions
This is very obvious yet we hired first Mourinho and now Conte. So either we are pretending to ourselves that we are evolving the plan or we don't actually understand what our plan is and where the appointment of those managers fit within this plan.

I believe it's the latter, but even if it's the former it still leaves us a bit of a shambles.

Post-match interview with the BBC, via Alasdair Gold :

Conte has spoken to the BBC ahead of this press conference
"In the first half we played with good intensity. We didn't concede anything and we found a team that defended too deep and then we conceded this goal and then the confidence dropped for my players.
"We have to know that our life is this. We have to fight every game for one point or for three points. This is the truth, especially when you are without two or three important players and have difficulties.

"We have different characteristics. We don't have many players who are really good to beat the man. We don't have many creative players in our team. For sure today was really difficult to find space in the first half.

"I'm sure that if we don't concede the goal, we could win the game instead. The goal that we conceded killed us in confidence and in many situations for sure. You have to try and improve and develop these players and especially young players to be even stronger."

On conceding first again: "We have conceded the first goal and for sure we try to play to score goals. There is an opponent like you that can score during the game. We understand very well that the league will be really really difficult for us.

"We have to try to recover all the [injured] players and then we have to know that in every game we have to fight and show that we are strong. The league will be very difficult for us.

"I want to be honest, I want to be very clear. I have said this to the club, I have said my opinions. The fans deserve the best. Maybe to stay in 5th is the best. Maybe 6th, 7th, 5th or 4th is the best."

My bolding at the end.
That sounds like a manager not happy with his lot.

This is very obvious yet we hired first Mourinho and now Conte. So either we are pretending to ourselves that we are evolving the plan or we don't actually understand what our plan is and where the appointment of those managers fit within this plan.

I believe it's the latter, but even if it's the former it still leaves us a bit of a shambles.

Well, let's be fair here - the common thread between Mourinho, Nuno and Conte has been a very deep line and a generally defensive approach heavily reliant on counters. Mourinho just sat back all game and left it to Kane and Son to conjure something, Nuno was just hapless, and Conte has tried to inch us up the field (we press a bit higher in the mid-block than we did under either Nuno or Mourinho), but still fits the mold.

The real jarring culture shift was going from Poch to Mourinho. Danny Rose once remarked that Poch would always encourage the players to take on their man, try a nutmeg, be 'brave'.

The abominable Mourinho wanted nothing of the sort. That was the culture shift moment. Question now is if we're doubling down on the 'wrong' culture, relative to modern football.

I agree and it's become obvious to me since we sacked Poch that Levy hasn't got a clue what it is that made the managers that done well under him actually succeed

If the manager is clearly a bad fit, do we just carry on anyway?

There's a few players that needs to leave with him mind you.
The football leadership from the top is absolutely woeful. I know a few of the coaching staff at Spurs and it is clear that we’re not as serious as Chelsea or Arsenal or even West Ham about bringing in the best young players,

I’d prefer to keep Conte and back him in the next 3 transfer windows and then see what we look like in 18 months time.
His body language worries me though and I think it’s more likely he’s on his way out.
So would I…. But the chairman won’t take that same approach.

Can’t back him if he won’t commit
He won’t commit if we don’t back him
Guy has the issue at every club
He is obsessive to the point of being unhealthy and expects it across the board
Anything goes wrong…. It’s never him (even if he says so)
If it goes well it’s all on him

And regardless who he is, he can't be just given the pass of "well we knew he doesn't play youth". If the club employed hime to do both as he has admitted in interviews then its part of his job to bring them on, like it or not. And it's modern football, he isn't getting very far not being able to develop players either.

Seems abit of a strange hill to die on when people defend him for having no interest in playing youth....I see that a restriction not a positive

And regardless who he is, he can't be just given the pass off "well we knew he doesn't play youth". If the club employed hime to do both as he has admitted in interviews then its part of his job to bring them on, like it or not. And it's modern football, he isn't getting very far not being able to develop players either.

Seems abit of a strange hill to die on when people defend him for having no interest in playing youth....I see that a restriction not a positive
The blokes a complete clam and doing exactly what I said he would about 3 months before we appointed him
The guys got an amazing record and you know what you will get
He is in it for him and only him. His comments now are all about trying to hook the fans in but in reality he isn’t a fan…. He doesn’t care unless it benefits conte
Poch was a different breed because he clicked with the fans, like Jol did too. They wanted to be part of the club and the “DNA” cliche
It won’t change with him in charge but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t back him. We have actually seen before that players brought for one a manager turned out to be even better for the next guy

We're 3rd/4th highest spenders since moving in to the stadium so more than enough to remain competitive in the long term - we just need to be alligned between manager & transfers in order to make it work.

Perhaps, but this is no guarantee given that, at the least, four clubs can and will spend more than us going forward - City, Chelsea, United, Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Liverpool and Arsenal on occasion too. Also, difficult to visualize us as the 3rd/4th highest - didn't Chelsea spend 272m in this window alone, more than we've spent since summer 2019 put together? United, Chelsea, City, Arse - wondering how we ended up 3rd/4th highest.

The football leadership from the top is absolutely woeful. I know a few of the coaching staff at Spurs and it is clear that we’re not as serious as Chelsea or Arsenal or even West Ham about bringing in the best young players,

This is 100% aligned with what we've seen in the past 10 years as well. We used to deliberately target players overlooked by those other academies on account of size/physique, because we weren't winning against those other academies for the best young talent.

But we never stopped doing that, I think. We've kept that approach even when our profile has grown, while also not recruiting the best kids from overseas as all three of those (and several others in the PL) do or used to do. It's led to us producing some decent players, but not really standing out in any way.

Perhaps, but this is no guarantee given that, at the least, four clubs can and will spend more than us going forward - City, Chelsea, United, Saudi Sportswashing Outfit. Liverpool and Arsenal on occasion too. Also, difficult to visualize us as the 3rd/4th highest - didn't Chelsea spend 272m in this window alone, more than we've spent since summer 2019 put together? United, Chelsea, City, Arse - wondering how we ended up 3rd/4th highest.

This is 100% aligned with what we've seen in the past 10 years as well. We used to deliberately target players overlooked by those other academies on account of size/physique, because we weren't winning against those other academies for the best young talent.

But we never stopped doing that, I think. We've kept that approach even when our profile has grown, while also not recruiting the best kids from overseas as all three of those (and several others in the PL) do or used to do. It's led to us producing some decent players, but not really standing out in any way.
How many youth players actually make it through at the big clubs

city’s academy has Foden…. And a few coming through now but they will also buy others

Chelsea have 2 that start most games

arsenal have 1

we have 1

united have 1

pool have 1

I mean these players have to be exceptional and then some to even get a chance

the players are clams, letting the manager down every game, none of them are playing at anywhere near their level

the tactics are irrelevant when the lazy clams can't be bothered to control the ball or make a simple 2 yard pass, they just aren't working hard enough, they all need a beasting in training, make them fudging suffer

How many youth players actually make it through at the big clubs

city’s academy has Foden…. And a few coming through now but they will also buy others

Chelsea have 2 that start most games

arsenal have 1

we have 1

united have 1

pool have 1

I mean these players have to be exceptional and then some to even get a chance

Pep has some young lad now playing at FB, Arsenal have Saka, Smith-Rowe, they are pushing the young lad who was the youngest ever last season, Nketieh comes in now to cover.

The issue is regardless of those coming through, other managers also trust young talent coming in.

We are suppose to believe that a 14m a year manager can't play a 23 year old because he is "youth" and we need to get ready made only for a manager on such a wage. Only been thinking about it in those terms today and its laughable more and more I think of it.

Get him the right players and he will be a winner because he is a winner.....isnt that the case for many if not all managers to an extent?

Pep has some young lad now playing at FB, Arsenal have Saka, Smith-Rowe, they are pushing the young lad who was the youngest ever last season, Nketieh comes in now to cover.

The issue is regardless of those coming through, other managers also trust young talent coming in.

We are suppose to believe that a 14m a year manager can't play a 23 year old because he is "youth" and we need to get ready made only for a manager on such a wage. Only been thinking about it in those terms today and its laughable more and more I think of it.

Get him the right players and he will be a winner because he is a winner.....isnt that the case for many if not all managers to an extent?
I’m no excusing conte
Just highlighting that it’s super rare for a HG player to make it

Its a manager's job to get players playing better

And if they don't want to, what then?
Some of these players have now been putting these performances in for FOUR managers, and thats not including mason who was supposed to be their mate.
Glad i don't have mates like that.

Back