• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Watched the Ali Gold latest update. If we don't win he whinges like a true fan! On and on about what a mismatch Conte is, how we need to match hiring him with money blah blah blah. On the flip side, he always overrates our signings. He is just a bit reactionary, or plays up to the faithful.

We're not going to suddenly become an oil baron club just because Conte is in charge. Conte knows the brief. We have transparent budgets and Paratici to manage them. Comes back to what I was saying in the transfer thread. We can spend, but not as much as we could if we sell Ndombele, Le Celco and Regulion. Just as important are players being available and wanting to come.

Spot on. This is the reality for any manager at our club. Mourinho wanted more, I'm sure Nuno wanted more, Pochettino wanted more. All managers want more, Conte perhaps even more so. But this is what he signed up for.

One of the very good things about Conte is that he knows what he wants and doesn't really need big expensive superstar signings to make his system work. I think it's possible to get him solutions he'll be happy enough with even with a limited budget. As we have already done with several of our signings since he came in.

But, like most managers, he needs a squad of players that fit his system. Perhaps even more than most as he's a "system manager". But we've seen with other top managers too that one or two missing pieces can have a massive influence on performance. More influence than the individual player's "overall quality" may indicate.

I think that's the case with us right now.

Spot on. This is the reality for any manager at our club. Mourinho wanted more, I'm sure Nuno wanted more, Pochettino wanted more. All managers want more, Conte perhaps even more so. But this is what he signed up for.

It might not be what he signed up for - none of us know what promises were made before he came.

If the agreement was that it would be mostly young, largely unproven players then it seems a strange decision to appoint a manager whose success has always been founded on bring in expensive and experienced players. And it seems strange that he would accept.

As I say, though, who knows?

It might not be what he signed up for - none of us know what promises were made before he came.

If the agreement was that it would be mostly young, largely unproven players then it seems a strange decision to appoint a manager whose success has always been founded on bring in expensive and experienced players. And it seems strange that he would accept.

He didn't say unproven. Kulu, romero and bentancur were all proven when we bought them. But all were younger and not on huge salaries.

With the long conversations and his mate already at the club, plus everyone in the world knowing how Spurs operates its hard to believe any manager coming in does so in the dark. I mean if you were offered the Spurs job tomorrow you would have half an idea of the transfer policy, I mean as a club we have never hidden it

With the long conversations and his mate already at the club, plus everyone in the world knowing how Spurs operates its hard to believe any manager coming in does so in the dark. I mean if you were offered the Spurs job tomorrow you would have half an idea of the transfer policy, I mean as a club we have never hidden it

The insinuation was always that things would change once we were in the new stadium.

He also (allegedly) turned down the job months before, which would suggest something must have occurred to change his mind and lead him to eventually accept.

Again, though, it’s all speculation. None of us know.

The insinuation was always that things would change once we were in the new stadium.

He also (allegedly) turned down the job months before, which would suggest something must have occurred to change his mind and lead him to eventually accept.

Again, though, it’s all speculation. None of us know.

TBF Conte has had backing, and things have changed from pre stadium (even with Covid). We spent over 100m more than received this summer and 50m more than we received the season before.

Our transfer policy is pretty much stated on the clubs website and is written in the last financials, so the idea we over sold anything, I find hard to believe. I also find it hard to believe that managers with their expensive representatives don't ensure full disclosure before signing.

I suspect the club were very open with him and it was the 30m 18 months deal that swayed his decision and now he is here he has decided to have his little moans because as, with Jose, the side is always going to be a slight reflection of their manager and their egos take abit of a bruising at times.

All that said, regardless, I do believe there is still mess to sort in order to support him better, the signings of Gil, Spence and Sarr are either ones for the future or vanity signings by someone, the fact its not clear which is slightly worrying. And the fact we have nearly 200m of players out on loan and wages to clear from them does not help. Sooner we have that lot sorted the better for everyone as I think it adds to the disjointed look we have as a squad.

We don't know what promises were made. What we do know is that if Conte feels that he was lied to he would not react well. He has no problems criticising the club if he's unhappy.

I don't think that was the agreement. I don't think Conte has brought success through expensive signings in the past. Been a part of it, but not even a particularly large part for a manager at his level.

We don't know what promises were made. What we do know is that if Conte feels that he was lied to he would not react well. He has no problems criticising the club if he's unhappy.

I don't think that was the agreement. I don't think Conte has brought success through expensive signings in the past. Been a part of it, but not even a particularly large part for a manager at his level.

Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Morata, Zappacosta.....

Maybe wise keeping him from the cheque book

Last edited:
Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Morata, Zappacosta.....

Maybe wise keeping him from the cheque book

(understand that you were joking)

Even giving Conte absolutely zero benefit of doubt. That's one player (Morata) that cost more than Richarlison, not even that much more. Total fee for Kulusevski will probably end up being more expensive than most of those players too.

To be fair he had other fairly expensive signings at Chelsea too, some of them flops, some not. Batshuayi, Kante, Luiz, Rudiger. Other than Morata all 40m euros or less according to transfermarkt at least. At Inter only Lukaku was 50m+.

His transfer history and our transfer history in recent years seems to be at a similar kind of level in terms of cost of the players. He's not been one to splash on a lot of 50m+ players. He's had quite a lot of success with cheaper signings, opportunistic signings.

If we can keep a good hit rate signing a mix of 40-50m players (like Romero, Richarlison, Kulusevski), slightly cheaper opportunistic signings (like Bentancur) and some good free transfers or loan deals (Perisic, Lenglet) could be a very good fit for Conte imo.

I think it's safe to say if anyone has blatantly broken any promises Conte would be gone.

maybe conte is just here for the money. we do pay him top money for not even getting close to winning anything yet.

As I posted in the match thread: we’re about to go into a transfer window and throw money at some players in very specific positions to suit the formation played by a coach who won’t commit beyond this season, on the back of 6 months of truly awful football.

Why?

We haven't quite reached the point where it's obvious this isn't going to work out, but with Arse, City x2, Chelsea and West Ham over the coming weeks, it will come soon enough. Time to look for the next manager to take over this summer rather than spend big to keep Conte happy.

i don't want him gone, no point changing the manager, some of our "top" players need moved on.
kane, son, hugo and peh can all go as far as i'm concerned.

As I posted in the match thread: we’re about to go into a transfer window and throw money at some players in very specific positions to suit the formation played by a coach who won’t commit beyond this season, on the back of 6 months of truly awful football.

Why?
We will do our usual…. Not get the players the manager wants and then lurch to a new manager with a completely different style of football to make the players signed under this manager poor signings…. It’s fine though as it will buy Levy another 18 months of zero pressure from the fans to increase his THFC investment even further with the natural increase in value from the PL

Back