• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Eth is a good coach and got the right players to immediately improve his squad.
They over paid massively for an old man and a player with one foot. Their good players and Antony may turn out to be amazing…
Casinero you know what you will get too and he is clearly a quality player but he isn’t there for the future
Look at the United players who have stepped up and it’s players they had already mainly
And he is 100% a quality coach. It’s why we wanted him.

I think the reason for optimism was taking us to an unexpected 4th and adding players who we thought would address areas of weakness.

Perisic brought experience where we had 2 juvenile left wing back options ,neither of whom carry an attacking threat. Whilst we see moments of quality as he doesn't panic there's a buf question mark whether he has the physical = defensive attributes to make him a clear upgrade. Maybe deputising as wf in the tougher games will help and Destiny will improve this area next season.
Bissouma excited most of us as one of the better centre mids outside of CL clubs over a couple of seasons. Something hasn't clicked yet as he's not getting a run of games nor doing much to stake his claim *Always difficult with sporadic appearances in a different system the rest of the team usually play
Richie I think despite not scoring as many goals he has performed well, the issue for me is that it was Kulu who missed out whereas if it wasn't for reputation he should be rotated with Son or even Kane in his preferred position to give us the work rate we miss off the ball. He may not have the finesse of Son but the latter is off form.
Lenglet - came in with low expectations as bigger names were linked but has slotted in fine and leaves lcb as the area we have 2 reasonable options with different attributes
Spence- So as agreed rwb was a critical area for us to strengthen, the fact he isn't getting a look in and has been labelled a club signing is a concern.

So is it as simple as Son being off form, neither wb position being strengthened and Kulu missing, things that may be addressed as the season progresses?
Son still looks like he can’t control a football
That’s just odd for a player who is 2 footed and elite
Thats a huge hindrance for a side playing counter attacking as attacks die with poor touches (Richy has a poor first touch too)
But good teams and the great sides have an ability to change the speed of the game. We can’t do that without Kulu as the ball doesn’t stick with any other player

Again, I think you misunderstand somewhat. You’re looking at outcome rather than causation. You can’t start pressing just outside your own penalty area, it is suicide. Once the opposition are in your third with numbers you can only really try to ensure they can’t get a ball into a player in space in the box….. Drop off, compress the space into the danger area and try to force the opposition to have to put in crosses or take shots from outside the box that are generally low percentage chances.

I agree re: pressing them earlier, but that has to happen MUCH earlier, right from the ball out from their keeper and with us effectively playing 4 out and out defensive central players (maybe even more with PEH and Bentancur as well) we were never likely to mount a successful press. The three that we play at the back mean we are outnumbered unless one of them really steps up, none of them did.

Same with ‘lack of passing from midfield’. Who were they going to pass to? They were deep, being pressed, had our wingbacks who were often deeper than our midfielder on the ball and only Son and Kane ahead of them, both central, closely marked and facing their own goal, which is an incredibly dangerous pass to make due to the transition it creates on the 80%+ of occasions that those type of passes are turned over.

Our midfield could do little yesterday, the manager needed to get Spurs higher up the pitch, either just via our players’ starting positions when De Gea had the ball or by going long over the top from our CBs to give them something to think about, or by leaving Son high and wide so that Man Utd had to keep a fullback deep, or by leaving one of the wing backs high up the pitch to do the same or ensure we had a free man.

Another caveat to this is that Conte is playing these games as a series, not one offs. He knows we cannot afford to burn out, so pressing from the front all match is not an option. I believe every strategy, and shape deployed, is done so with the intent of trying to minimize energy used for a result. I think this, in part, caused the issue of simply not pushing play higher up the pitch. We can’t have been that afraid of Anthony surely? A possible solution for 3-5-2 might be to play Bentancur at the base of the three, but I don’t think we can even begin to play it without Sess or Lenglet (who is a better passer than Davies).

I just don’t get our midfielders being passive and watching play
Pressing doesn’t have to be aggressive and when do it in a controlled way we are good at it
But yesterday our midfielders were more like cones on the pitch for play to move around

I think Bissouma is still learning his way into things and PEH/Bentancur know it, thus a little wooden in there when starting. As a switch mid-game it seems to be more effective right now…

"My first reaction is not that I'm not worried, my first reaction is I'm angry," said the Italian. "I'm angry because in every game I'd like to see my team win and get three points. My first emotion is not that I’m worried, it’s not the frustration, my first emotion is that I’m angry. I’m angry because in my mind I start every game with the hope to win and when we lose my first emotion is that I’m angry but I'm angry with myself not my players. We have to be very clear.
"Then I try to use this to understand the way to improve, and avoid. I don’t like the defeat. I like badly, especially the day after a defeat. For me the day after is really, really bad. I’m trying to improve myself but on one side it could be better for my spirit and my family, and on the other side I know that if I lose this anger I can lose something important to transfer to my players, for the next time to try to do everything to avoid the defeat."
Conte admitted that the day after defeats is a tough one for him and he explained what he did on Thursday after returning to Hotspur Way in the early hours from the game in Manchester.
"The day after for me is a bit difficult. I try to speak with my staff to find the right solution to transfer the right message to the players," he said. "I have to transfer in every moment to go in the right direction. I think that when you don't get a good result, the first step to become a winner is that you have to feel the defeat in yourself.
"In every club that I've worked at I tried to transfer this to my players because if I am the only person to feel the defeat [it is not good]. If my players and all the people in this environment start to understand that a defeat is different than a win, I think this is the first step to becoming a winner.
"I think that my players are starting this process. I think so. They are starting this process, to feel that the defeat hurts them."
Conte spoke in the aftermath of the United game about it being a difficult one to throw the young players on his bench into and he expanded on Friday on the need for experience during tough periods in matches.
"Experience is very important in these situations. Sometimes when you are suffering, I was a player and you take the ball and you put it outside the stadium so that you can breathe, or if you have injury you stay (down)," he said. "I see many, many teams in England, they understand the moment when they are suffering. One player stops, wastes time. In this period you breathe. Your mind becomes clear again. This is experience.
"The team that is used to winning, they have everything and experience is also important. You can't buy experience. You can only improve by playing, playing, playing, facing situations and finding solutions. If you are suffering a lot you have to understand that maybe it is not the right moment to continue playing from the back. Go up, with a long ball, fight for the second ball. These are the types of situations where we can improve and we are working on these aspects. To have experienced players in my opinion is very, very, very important because in these moments they are good at managing these situations."
Spurs have been labelled as 'too nice' in the past with former boss Mauricio Pochettino once claiming that the whole club needed to learn more about the dark arts after a Champions League defeat to Juventus. Conte believes that it is all part of the evolution Tottenham must go through.
"I like to talk about a process. I know we need a process to go step by step, to become a really, really strong team and to become title contenders," he said. "I like to speak about the process because I know and I feel that this club and this team needed our process. Not in 10 months or 1 year, and click, you can do it, everything is ok, you are title contenders and better than City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United and Arsenal.
"You try to do it but you have to know there is a path. This path is compulsory. You have to go through this if you want to fight for something special and win trophies."
When asked whether the process can be speeded up in the transfer market, Conte said: "In this process you have to involve many situations. Before reaching an important level we have to go through a path and improve the quality, improve the number of players in the squad, especially if we are to play Champions League and Premier League, but this is part of the process.
"Then it depends what we want, a long process, a short process, a medium process. You have the solutions but you have to know we need to have patience. I have great respect for the club and what the club wants to try to do but at the same time I know our possibilities are different to the monsters that are in England.
"There is a difference. It doesn’t mean my aspiration is not to fight at the same level, but I think you need to have time, patience, don’t make mistakes in the transfer market. Many situations, but it’s normal for a club like Tottenham in this moment."
The Spurs head coach was particularly disappointed with the mistakes his players made with the ball at Old Trafford in midweek, whether through decision-making or poorly executed passes.
"Honestly when we had the ball, we had the ball 50-50 during the game, we could exploit much better offensive situations. Instead, many times, we made bad decisions and I think we did a lot of mistakes," he said. "The passes were not [with] great accuracy. We lost a lot of stupid balls because the way that we prepared to attack United, in my opinion, was good. We were prepared to hurt them with the ball and then I think that we could do much better to try to exploit much better offensive situations.
"But you know very well in the big games when the level is high, the pressure is high. You know much better than me because you are English – to play at Old Trafford is not simple, not easy. A lot of noise, amazing atmosphere, the fans push a lot.
"The level of your opponent is really high and for sure the pressure is really high. For this reason, the step that we have to do [is] to try to cope also with this pressure. Especially I repeat because I think the way to attack and hurt them was good in the idea but at the same time you know that you have to have more accuracy in every situation, to try to have a good finish. I think we could do much better in this aspect."

I’m sure they said that about Mourinho.

I’m not a fan of his in general and hated almost every minute of his reign but he we would have had a better chance in the league cup final with him in charge than Mason. Say what you want about him, he did get us to a final and wasn’t given the chance to lead the team out because Levy didn’t want to pay him a bonus.

I’m not a fan of his in general and hated almost every minute of his reign but he we would have had a better chance in the league cup final with him in charge than Mason. Say what you want about him, he did get us to a final and wasn’t given the chance to lead the team out because Levy didn’t want to pay him a bonus.
Mate that’s just ridiculous! You don’t honestly believe that do you?

Why else would he sack him BEFORE a cup final? I would have sacked him immediately after had we lost the final. Top 4 was already gone at that point.
Knowing Jose it would have been some sort of argument. The team was in disarray at that point as well, maybe he canvassed senior players opinions on it? We just don’t know.

what you’re suggesting is that Levy deliberately sabotaged the clubs chances of winning a trophy just to save a bonus payment!

you can think that he made the wrong decision sacking Jose before the final (I do) by all means, but don’t make out it was because of not wanting to pay a bonus! Lol

Why else would he sack him BEFORE a cup final? I would have sacked him immediately after had we lost the final. Top 4 was already gone at that point.

Allegedly because jose wanted to rest players in the prem to save them for the final. Levy disagreed as he thought we still had a chance of getting cl (which to him was more important, £100m to £2m). Jose said thats why you never win trophies. That tinkled levy off and he sacked him.

Realistically we’re not gonna find another manager better than Conte who would come to Spurs. The football isn’t pretty but he does win things.

If you said a bigger name manager then I'd be inclined to agree, but bigger name doesn't equate to being a better manager or being able to do the best job at any given club.

Because all the fans had been clamouring for him to be sacked for some time at that point.
It doesn't make any sense to keep him for so long despite the fan feeling and then sack him 5 days before the final. That decision literally decided for us that we weren't going to win it. Why you would come to that decision before a final is truly baffling. It can't have been a football decision.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

It doesn't make any sense to keep him for so long despite the fan feeling and then sack him 5 days before the final. That decision literally decided for us that we weren't going to win it. Why you would come to that decision before a final is truly baffling. It can't have been a football decision.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Might have been just coincidence but it was the Super League announcement week too wasn't it.

Back