• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

It was a graphic that i saw on tv
Would be great to share that so we can compare teams and their styles of play vs. league position. It's basically impossible to find this stat but IMO it does tell a lot. I know Conte got our movement up over Nuno so he definitely won't tolerate any slouches in the team. I do have a hunch that certain players are kind of saving themselves for the World Cup but I'm not the only one and I don't think it's that far-fetched of an idea, nor are we the only team who harbors players who are perhaps conserving themselves slightly. Also, with the lack of rotation so far this season especially in certain key positions, I don't blame the players for their energy levels flagging in recent outings.

[

It’s a vicious circle. The midfield have to take deep positions because the 3 CBs are so deep.our CMs not dropping in would leave really valuable space in front of our back 3. If you look at both Man Utd goals last night they haven’t really come about from us camping deep and Man Utd keeping the ball and working a shot. They have actually come about from Man Utd breaking quickly, getting numerous players into our box and thus creating space on the edge of the box by committing those men into the box and also being brave enough to get another bill or 2 players forward supporting the break. I don’t think we even once committed as many as 5 men to an open play attack last night.
That's what you see. I see our CMs standing off the opposition midfield, doing feck all, stepping back into the space the CBs should be in and forcing the CBs to step further back.
Until our CMs close down opposition players we're never going to see anything besides us camped on the edge of our box.

We're never going to agree on this, so lets just agree to disagree.

Some of the games haven't been exciting. Last season we had some of the most exciting games of the season. Leicester and liverpool spring to mind. Not sure that's all down to the system though. We've been sloppy. Which is contes job to sort out.

As for results. Realistically at the beginning of the season, we were looking for a top 4 finish this season. Get out of the cl groups and hopefully get a trophy. Nothings changed.

That's what you see. I see our CMs standing off the opposition midfield, doing feck all, stepping back into the space the CBs should be in and forcing the CBs to step further back.
Until our CMs close down opposition players we're never going to see anything besides us camped on the edge of our box.

Indeed…. I think it is manager’s tactics, you think it is personnel…. The truth may lie somewhere between

I found it odd last night that he cited a pattern of struggling when the opposition quality is "better" - this almost seemed like a statement to the effect that we're flat track bullies - and that may well have been his intention so he can get a player or two in come January - but also if he recognises there's a failing in the team around performance against better sides, then its surely on him to address this and use his renowned tactical prowess to outsmart a team like Utd.

This was especially galling because Utd are brittle at the moment - if we'd set out to come out of the traps like a missile, or switched something tactically to cause them issues, we'd have made a very mentally fragile utd think twice. Ten Hag has found a system that is working as long as Utd score first - if they go behind there's not a lot in the tank to fight back.

We're scarily predictable right now - for instance lets pick the first 11 for Saudi Sportswashing Machine -

Lloris
Romero Dier Davies
Doc Perisic
PEH Bentacour Bissouma
Kane Son

Saudi Sportswashing Machine know exactly what we will do and will have a chance to train to play against our sitting deep and breaking out at pace approach.

Top teams don't play just one way - they can mix it up and do.

I just don’t get our midfielders being passive and watching play
Pressing doesn’t have to be aggressive and when do it in a controlled way we are good at it
But yesterday our midfielders were more like cones on the pitch for play to move around

I found it odd last night that he cited a pattern of struggling when the opposition quality is "better" - this almost seemed like a statement to the effect that we're flat track bullies - and that may well have been his intention so he can get a player or two in come January - but also if he recognises there's a failing in the team around performance against better sides, then its surely on him to address this and use his renowned tactical prowess to outsmart a team like Utd.

This was especially galling because Utd are brittle at the moment - if we'd set out to come out of the traps like a missile, or switched something tactically to cause them issues, we'd have made a very mentally fragile utd think twice. Ten Hag has found a system that is working as long as Utd score first - if they go behind there's not a lot in the tank to fight back.

We're scarily predictable right now - for instance lets pick the first 11 for Saudi Sportswashing Outfit -

Lloris
Romero Dier Davies
Doc Perisic
PEH Bentacour Bissouma
Kane Son

Saudi Sportswashing Outfit know exactly what we will do and will have a chance to train to play against our sitting deep and breaking out at pace approach.

City play one way, so do pool and arsenal do too now
Also I’m still not sure where the United are mentally fragile comes from. They lost their first home of the season but won every game since. They also have a deep squad and are using it well with a sensible manager. pill judge united this weekend when they okay a weakened Chelsea away and see how they do (Chelsea have 5 beaten them in the league in a long time)

I just don’t get our midfielders being passive and watching play
Pressing doesn’t have to be aggressive and when do it in a controlled way we are good at it
But yesterday our midfielders were more like cones on the pitch for play to move around
Yes. The issue is intent, bravery, forcing the issue, daring to push and press and kill the opposition.
Conte talks about this... he seems to want players with heart and fight... but then we just stand off and make Man Utd look like Brazil.
They couldn't believe their luck.

Yes. The issue is intent, bravery, forcing the issue, daring to push and press and kill the opposition.
Conte talks about this... he seems to want players with heart and fight... but then we just stand off and make Man Utd look like Brazil.
They couldn't believe their luck.
They way they played in theory they could have been picked off, if we adjusted our set up slightly and showed some on pitch leadership
But we didn’t and they spanked us

We're scarily predictable right now - for instance lets pick the first 11 for Saudi Sportswashing Outfit -

Lloris
Romero Dier Davies
Doc Perisic
PEH Bentacour Bissouma
Kane Son

Saudi Sportswashing Outfit know exactly what we will do and will have a chance to train to play against our sitting deep and breaking out at pace approach.

Bolded bit, whenever we have a chance to not only progress our own cause but dent one of our competitors we don't turn up.
Wednesday night was a chance to put pressure on arsenal and man utd and lay down a marker.
Even a battling defeat would have sent out a message.

I must admit, if I had zero idea about Conte’s history I’d be seriously questioning him as manager. Mostly because we’re just so GHod damn dull to watch! Best start to a season since the 60s and yet I never look forward to watching us. It seems our approach is always the same - sit deep, invite the opponent onto us, and then try (and normally fail) to play through their press effectively.

But of course results have been decent overall, and Conte’s a very successful manager, so you can’t really complain too much! Just wish we’d start to look a bit more effective and exciting in this system, and/or mix it up a bit.

I must admit, if I had zero idea about Conte’s history I’d be seriously questioning him as manager. Mostly because we’re just so GHod damn dull to watch! Best start to a season since the 60s and yet I never look forward to watching us. It seems our approach is always the same - sit deep, invite the opponent onto us, and then try (and normally fail) to play through their press effectively.

But of course results have been decent overall, and Conte’s a very successful manager, so you can’t really complain too much! Just wish we’d start to look a bit more effective and exciting in this system, and/or mix it up a bit.
You mean like we played last season when we battered teams?

We'd look a lot better in my view with someone in midfield who can pass the ball and a decent RWB (Royal isnt a RWB and, whilst Doherty is, he's average)

I think the reason for optimism was taking us to an unexpected 4th and adding players who we thought would address areas of weakness.

Perisic brought experience where we had 2 juvenile left wing back options ,neither of whom carry an attacking threat. Whilst we see moments of quality as he doesn't panic there's a buf question mark whether he has the physical = defensive attributes to make him a clear upgrade. Maybe deputising as wf in the tougher games will help and Destiny will improve this area next season.
Bissouma excited most of us as one of the better centre mids outside of CL clubs over a couple of seasons. Something hasn't clicked yet as he's not getting a run of games nor doing much to stake his claim *Always difficult with sporadic appearances in a different system the rest of the team usually play
Richie I think despite not scoring as many goals he has performed well, the issue for me is that it was Kulu who missed out whereas if it wasn't for reputation he should be rotated with Son or even Kane in his preferred position to give us the work rate we miss off the ball. He may not have the finesse of Son but the latter is off form.
Lenglet - came in with low expectations as bigger names were linked but has slotted in fine and leaves lcb as the area we have 2 reasonable options with different attributes
Spence- So as agreed rwb was a critical area for us to strengthen, the fact he isn't getting a look in and has been labelled a club signing is a concern.

So is it as simple as Son being off form, neither wb position being strengthened and Kulu missing, things that may be addressed as the season progresses?

Maybe, my memory for past seasons is unusually useless to be honest. What’s different this season then so you think? Just the lack of Kulu? Conte’s teams are slow to get going?
We are pacing ourselves throughout games
And we do miss kulu
As I’ve said you take out de Bruyne or Odegard for example and their teams will be less effective
I also think Perisic isn’t helping us. He seems to not be at the pace of the game here yet and we do look better with sess
I also think there has been an over reaction to how we have played with no context of the results.
Imagine being told that we would be 3rd at this point of the season but level with city, having lost at united and arsenal (as normal). Fans would have been cool with that IMO
The issue now is even with good results what style… but style can take time to be established
Conte has been here about a year but he also has had a LOT of acquisitions which are players he wanted (11 I think), so he has no excuses
We will buy 1 or 2 players in january too IMO and the injuries we have had will help with that as it highlights the needs even more

Back