• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Do we need the pressure of a contract?

If both sides are happy just keep paying him.

I don't think we need it as such. As you say, as long as he's happy here and we're happy with him being here the contract isn't going to be a big issue.

However him signing a new contract would still be very good news. Would signal a commitment both from the club and Conte. It would clear up any rumours about dissatisfaction running deeper than Conte always being dissatisfied unless always winning. It would make it clear that both financially for transfers and wages, but also for the overall structure and behind the scenes running of the club there's agreement and a clear path forward.

All of those things could be true without a new contract. With a new contract it would be almost certainly, undeniably true. I think both for us as fans, for the players already here and potential transfer targets it would send a very positive message about the state and plan of the club.

Also it would mean he would be a more expensive and harder to get managerial target for any other club that may be interested.

I don't think we need it as such. As you say, as long as he's happy here and we're happy with him being here the contract isn't going to be a big issue.

However him signing a new contract would still be very good news. Would signal a commitment both from the club and Conte. It would clear up any rumours about dissatisfaction running deeper than Conte always being dissatisfied unless always winning. It would make it clear that both financially for transfers and wages, but also for the overall structure and behind the scenes running of the club there's agreement and a clear path forward.

All of those things could be true without a new contract. With a new contract it would be almost certainly, undeniably true. I think both for us as fans, for the players already here and potential transfer targets it would send a very positive message about the state and plan of the club.

Also it would mean he would be a more expensive and harder to get managerial target for any other club that may be interested.

We have the option to extend by a year. So i doubt we'd be offering a new contract this season.

All good points, but remember Conte craves the tension, he wants Levy to be concerned, he wants Levy and Paratici to spend big money to keep him sweet.
If he signed a 5 year deal, Levy would relax and duck out of painful deals and toys would be thrown out of Conte's pram.
We are better off in tension, like a bridge. Not relaxed comfort.
Contracts are meaningless in terms of keeping a tiger like Conte, he will do what he wants.

All good points, but remember Conte craves the tension, he wants Levy to be concerned, he wants Levy and Paratici to spend big money to keep him sweet.
If he signed a 5 year deal, Levy would relax and duck out of painful deals and toys would be thrown out of Conte's pram.
Contracts are meaningless in terms of keeping a tiger like Conte, he will do what he wants.
I agree...Conte will fudge off whenever he wants, regardless if he has a month contract or 5 year contract. I honestly don't think Conte gives it much thought compared to the day to day business and his relationships.

And to a degree it suits Levy. A Conte explosion could happen at anytime and with little warning. I don't think the structure and length of the original contract was surprising at all, and wouldn't be surprised or concerned if we renewed with something similar.

With Conte I think there will just about always be tension. He could build a suspension bridge out of overcooked noodles through just his tension craving personality.

If he signs a new contract you may as well put create tension in his job description. I don't think Levy would ever get to a position of being relaxed with Conte in the building.

Been tension there since the moment he signed the initial contract would be my guess. And a new contract wouldn't change that.

If we get googled, and he is promised proper money to blow others out of the water for Gvardiol or Bastoni or Hakimi, then I think he will sign.

haha, that' true.

Makes sense if it does not impact the players - recruitment and renewed contracts.

For that to happen Paratici needs to have a system that can assure players that their careers will reasonably at risk if Conte leaves shortly.

Worst case scenario is if Conte, Paratici, Coaching staff all leave together - Levy needs to ensure that doesn't happens. Probably why Mason and Defore are there.

I was actually going to mention something along these lines in the Hobjerg thread, but it's way more fitting here.

To start off, I haven't watched every other PL team that closely this season but these control graphs seem pretty accurate to me. I'm guessing it's just difference of touch maps for each fixture averaged out, per zone. I'm surprised that ours is so symmetrical since our right side attack seems more disjointed than our left, but we do try to move the ball quite a bit on the right; it's not like we only try to push it up our left flank. IMO, would be more interesting for us to see how many chances we create per side.

To be fair, the point I'm making concerns Bentancur too. It's really about our CMs and how they help propagate play up the pitch (or don't).
I will say that PEH had a pretty good game on Wednesday. Obviously, providing an assist with yet another cross is good work, but I don't want it to seem like I'm just throwing him under the bus or anything. I would assume that this is simply how Conte wants us to play if we're in possession: try to push the ball forwards on the flanks after getting some of their players to commit to pressing high, then try to break the last line of defense with a through ball if their defenders are pushed up high, or continue moving it outside for a cross/cut-back.

However, PEH does gesticulate a lot whether it's to express to the team to calm down (Romero, Dier among others who are constantly doing this), or the "arms-forward questioning gesture" as if to say "why aren't you guys passing to me?" I guess this is part of the deliberate trap that Conte sets, in that our CMs tend to be heavily marked and not given any time and space to turn and move the ball forwards. It seems like a lot of times, it just goes straight back to the defenders again, which to me more or less answers the above question that PEH is seemingly asking.

Am I alone in noticing this or is this a trend that our CBs, especially Romero, are trying to be more meaningful with their passing vs. just passing to the first open teammate they see?

Finally, I will apologize for writing such a disjointed post. Work is just finishing up for me and it's nice outside so I'm just going to plop my mostly-unfiltered thoughts out. I've learned a lot about the sport in general and Spurs from being on this forum so I always see every day here as another learning opportunity. With that said, I will try to pay more attention to these passing patterns during tomorrow's match.

I was actually going to mention something along these lines in the Hobjerg thread, but it's way more fitting here.

To start off, I haven't watched every other PL team that closely this season but these control graphs seem pretty accurate to me. I'm guessing it's just difference of touch maps for each fixture averaged out, per zone. I'm surprised that ours is so symmetrical since our right side attack seems more disjointed than our left, but we do try to move the ball quite a bit on the right; it's not like we only try to push it up our left flank. IMO, would be more interesting for us to see how many chances we create per side.

To be fair, the point I'm making concerns Bentancur too. It's really about our CMs and how they help propagate play up the pitch (or don't).
I will say that PEH had a pretty good game on Wednesday. Obviously, providing an assist with yet another cross is good work, but I don't want it to seem like I'm just throwing him under the bus or anything. I would assume that this is simply how Conte wants us to play if we're in possession: try to push the ball forwards on the flanks after getting some of their players to commit to pressing high, then try to break the last line of defense with a through ball if their defenders are pushed up high, or continue moving it outside for a cross/cut-back.

However, PEH does gesticulate a lot whether it's to express to the team to calm down (Romero, Dier among others who are constantly doing this), or the "arms-forward questioning gesture" as if to say "why aren't you guys passing to me?" I guess this is part of the deliberate trap that Conte sets, in that our CMs tend to be heavily marked and not given any time and space to turn and move the ball forwards. It seems like a lot of times, it just goes straight back to the defenders again, which to me more or less answers the above question that PEH is seemingly asking.

Am I alone in noticing this or is this a trend that our CBs, especially Romero, are trying to be more meaningful with their passing vs. just passing to the first open teammate they see?

Finally, I will apologize for writing such a disjointed post. Work is just finishing up for me and it's nice outside so I'm just going to plop my mostly-unfiltered thoughts out. I've learned a lot about the sport in general and Spurs from being on this forum so I always see every day here as another learning opportunity. With that said, I will try to pay more attention to these passing patterns during tomorrow's match.
It’s rope a dope football
We want teams to press us so we can switch to quick counters. Will be an issue tomo as Everton will sit deep
PEH is turning the ball around much quicker than people realise to want to realise IMO. This season he has a couple of goals and assists which is strong for a DM (he is much more than that)
Bentacur starts the team moving forward in a lot of play and sets the tempo of the team
I don’t know how much you saw last year but when the wing backs are playing in tandem with the team it’s devastating football
We haven’t clicked this season but because the players knack the system we are still getting results

It’s rope a dope football
We want teams to press us so we can switch to quick counters. Will be an issue tomo as Everton will sit deep
PEH is turning the ball around much quicker than people realise to want to realise IMO. This season he has a couple of goals and assists which is strong for a DM (he is much more than that)
Bentacur starts the team moving forward in a lot of play and sets the tempo of the team
I don’t know how much you saw last year but when the wing backs are playing in tandem with the team it’s devastating football
We haven’t clicked this season but because the players knack the system we are still getting results

That's why I don't get Conte's insistence and persistence with Royal, but I guess he doesn't deem Doherty fit enough yet, and Spence too early. Neither Perisic nor Sessegnon are tearing it up either exactly, though Perisic's crossing has been superb. We'll get there.

From the Bentancur thread, an interview where he describes Conte's requirements :

"Above all, tactically, he likes his players to be well-positioned. I think I've learned that very well and I do it very well. I would say it's my biggest strength, actually. It's what he likes most about me.

"He also asks that we never drop our intensity, that we try to always press and don't allow the opposition to have the ball easily.

"Then, he wants us to try to play our game, to enjoy ourselves when we can. I think generally we have been doing that."

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Interesting from conte.

https://www.football.london/tottenh...tonio-conte-family-italy-richarlison-25268115

"I think when we play with three strikers, you have to know that your type of game is more direct. Not with a lot of possession because you have three strikers, only two midfielders," he said. "On one side, you control the game less but on another side you know you have three strikers with Sonny, Harry and Richarlison. With the rest of the team, we have to put them in the best situation to score.

"Honestly, at the start, I had some doubts about the balance to put three strikers like Richy, Harry and Sonny, because you know very well you have to attack, but at the same time it’s important to have a good balance if you want to be competitive.

"At the start I had some doubts to put them altogether, but then when it happened, I had always a great answer about Richy, Sonny and Kane because we are talking about three strikers, but three strikers who work a lot for the team. This is why I think we can play with these three strikers because they give us a lot of potentiality offensively, but at the same time, defensively, we have a good balance."

He doesn't see Kulu as a striker, no mention in that quote?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

I reckon he just commented on Richy working alongside Kane and Son, but it's odd to me how we've started leaving out, in my opionion, our best player this year. I hope it's just a matter of fitness.

Back