• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

In the medium to long term there's reason to think they will drop back a level or two to that of the chasing pack but in the short term, the sort of time we can expect Conte to be around at Spurs, it's looking likely they are going to maintain/improve on the level that they have been at over the last few seasons.
And money is no object

No you wouldn't, you'd just be moaning about something else.
I’ve only started moaning since the 2 “proven” anti football managers have been in charge, before that i was happy as our team was actually worth watching. Poch and Redknapp had us playing the best football i have seen a Spurs team play and what we are seeing now is a shadow of what it used to be.

It’s a forum to express an opinion and let off some steam in a safe and controlled environment if i want to moan about this brick football we are playing i am entitled to do so. If you are happy with everything you have seen this season and want to praise players and the management then i respect that. Other than being third in the league please tell me 1 other thing to not be a little unhappy about so far this season regarding Tottenham?

Last edited:
I’ve only started moaning since the 2 “proven” anti football managers have been in charge, before that i was happy as our team was actually worth watching. Poch and Redknapp had us playing the best football i have seen a Spurs team play and thats a shadow of what we are seeing now.

It’s a forum to express an opinion and let off some steam in a safe and controlled environment if i want to moan about this brick football we are playing i am entitled to do so. If you are happy with everything you have seen this season and want to praise players and the management then i respect that. Other than being third in the league please tell me 1 other thing to not be a little unhappy about so far this season regarding Tottenham?

You're entitled to your view, fair enough. Reasons to be happy...we've only lost one game, we're probably just ahead of where we'd expect to be points-wise, some players playing really well (Dier, Bentancur, Kulusevski, Richarlison), we're in the Champions League, we're not Man Utd or Liverpool who've looked worse than us.

But what is it you're looking for? Is it entertainment ahead of success? Is it both and, if so, who do you think could deliver that for us?

Haha venting is grand. I was fudging fuming on Saturday. Could have kicked fudge out of Lloris and Royal (although I wouldn't beat snow of a rope in reality).

It's some people posting that Conte's brand of football is brick/limited/too defensive rather than having a go at Saturday's performance. There's been a bit of it on here and a lot on other sites/social media. Criticising performances is fair enough, I can live with that even if I disagree. There was another poster here, may have been you, where we saw Saturday's game differently and both outlined our positions and both viewpoints are as valid as each other really.

But it's the people doubting Conte as our manager because "the football is brick" that I can't get my head around.

Could well have been,respectful of the debate always. Let's hope we get a result this week

COYFS

I’ve only started moaning since the 2 “proven” anti football managers have been in charge, before that i was happy as our team was actually worth watching. Poch and Redknapp had us playing the best football i have seen a Spurs team play and thats a shadow of what we are seeing now.

Second line of the first 'graph. Dreadful sentence structure.

You're entitled to your view, fair enough. Reasons to be happy...we've only lost one game, we're probably just ahead of where we'd expect to be points-wise, some players playing really well (Dier, Bentancur, Kulusevski, Richarlison), we're in the Champions League, we're not Man Utd or Liverpool who've looked worse than us.

But what is it you're looking for? Is it entertainment ahead of success? Is it both and, if so, who do you think could deliver that for us?

I understand what Conte is trying to do and i know it is getting results but it is GHod awful to watch. We have been second best for the majority of the games this season, have not really hit third or fourth gear and a lot of our players look lost when we have the ball. It cannot be that hard to pass the ball a round without losing it every 30 seconds, its the basics we are not doing right and i have had enough of watching it. We have been doing this for year, the same players losing the ball or not picking the correct pass. I watch teams that are below us and even though they are not getting the results, it looks good and it's exciting to see. All in all i am just tired of watching a Spurs game and it being the same poor performance every time and i know i am not the only one as the OMT's are full of fans with the same frustration.

Regarding who could deliver the excitement and success, i have no idea, i have never claimed to know that answer but something has got to give. I would really love to see it work out with Conte but looking at how stubborn he is i do not have much hope.

Second line of the first 'graph. Dreadful sentence structure.
You're right, when reading it back before i was about to send it i thought it was abit brick but i was on my way out of the door from work and submitted it anyway. Didn't think it would matter but clearly it does.

In what sense have we been second best for the majority of games this season? I think you could only argue that was the case for the Arsenal and at a stretch Chelsea games -

I think we have been playing below the level we know we are capable of playing but i don't think we have a single point more than what we deserve to have based on the games played this season.

I think the discussions about our style of play are valid and understandable...i'm trying to keep my judgements in check a little until after the world cup: the fixture congestion that we'll be seeing until then means that all the clubs who are in Europe will have to carefully manage the squad and energies used; i'm giving Conte the benefit of the doubt with this in mind..

However, he has to start using more of the squad; pointless us finishing above the scum and making all those signings if he doesn't...

I think the discussions about our style of play are valid and understandable...i'm trying to keep my judgements in check a little until after the world cup: the fixture congestion that we'll be seeing until then means that all the clubs who are in Europe will have to carefully manage the squad and energies used; i'm giving Conte the benefit of the doubt with this in mind..

However, he has to start using more of the squad; pointless us finishing above the scum and making all those signings if he doesn't...
If we get top-4 again this season, I'll be CONTEnt. I also want to see us do well in the CL though... he performed black magic to get us top-4 last season and it would be nice if he capitalized on his hard work. Of course, all that extra money needs to get reinvested in the first team.

I'm another who has been clamoring for more rotation, and if we don't see that in October with all the matches coming up, I'll be even more baffled. Again, no one is saying that squad players should become starters but it does seem like there are favorites instead of selection being based on merit.

There has been some ridiculous overreaction to Saturday's result. Few were questioning Antonio Conte prior (quite right too) but suddenly he has it 'wrong' tactically? What gonads! we lost on Saturday because we made two big errors; the second goal (there were two mistakes within that passage of play) and Royal's brainfart. Until then, and despite our lack of clinical execution, we were well positioned to take at least a point ion not all three. IMO, any other analysis becomes a case of what STYLE of football people prefer.

I think when this style clicks, it can be wonderful to watch in its own way. That's the key; in it's own way. Not another way, or a way you think it should be when it isn't...

There has been some ridiculous overreaction to Saturday's result. Few were questioning Antonio Conte prior (quite right too) but suddenly he has it 'wrong' tactically? What gonad*s! we lost on Saturday because we made two big errors; the second goal (there were two mistakes within that passage of play) and Royal's brainfart. Until then, and despite our lack of clinical execution, we were well positioned to take at least a point ion not all three. IMO, any other analysis becomes a case of what STYLE of football people prefer.

I think when this style clicks, it can be wonderful to watch in its own way. That's the key; in it's own way. Not another way, or a way you think it should be when it isn't...

You do know that they will not listen ;)

Would the reaction, the hurt and the questions on tactics be as bad if as expected it was Liverpool at the top and arsenal were outside the current top four and not the other way round?

There has been some ridiculous overreaction to Saturday's result. Few were questioning Antonio Conte prior (quite right too) but suddenly he has it 'wrong' tactically? What gonad*s! we lost on Saturday because we made two big errors; the second goal (there were two mistakes within that passage of play) and Royal's brainfart. Until then, and despite our lack of clinical execution, we were well positioned to take at least a point ion not all three. IMO, any other analysis becomes a case of what STYLE of football people prefer.

Everyone has their preferred style, and different clubs have different identities but at the end of the day, I cannot agree with anyone that says that the result isn't the most important variable in the whole football equation. I get where they're coming from as the principle of playing entertaining football is desirable obviously. I do miss the days of Poch and even Redknapp at times (like @Yiddo mentioned) BUT... the game evolves. Also, both managers showed plenty of naivete throughout their tenures at Spurs. I believe that we should now call that "doing a Sherwood." Also, I think it's natural to have an emotional reaction to Saturday's performance and result, but I agree that people should try to be more rational when it comes to their analysis.

Ultimately, it is only the result that matters, of course taken in the context of the entirety of a season, which includes domestic and continental matches (because that's how you get additional income). I can suffer along with Conte as he's done an incredible job last season, but I think we need to lay the blame on Conte AND the players this season for underperforming. Watching us counter can be entertaining when it comes off; high-tempo, one-touch vertical movement against a team that's backtracking is a great strategy for creating quality chances, but if that's our only game plan for scoring goals outside of set pieces, we're going to suffer when our counter attacks fizzle out due to poor passing. With all that said, I think the club all the way from the players down to the supporters need to expect to win these matches instead of being scared of them. Self-fulfilling prophecy and all that...

"...when our counter attacks fizzle out due to poor passing."

So, the key to improved play is good passing on the counter-attacks. I haven't been dismayed by that, for the most part, this season. Or last. We're not perfect but this is one area where the players themselves are given control of the play to create on the break. Hard to imagine a better group of forwards to create something spontaneously than what we have.

Otherwise, our defensive record, last match notwithstanding, has been excellent.

Depends who we get in next.
Nagelsmann...probably yes, Mason....definitely no.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Nagelsmann couldn't play his high pressing style without replacing several of our starting 11 players. IMO including Kane, Son, quite possibly Dier and Perisic.

So not only big steps back in terms of our rebuild, going from one or two missing pieces in our starting 11 to several. Also probably having to replace our one true superstar in Kane and one of the best players at the club over the last decade(s) in Son.

I think Conte is perfect for the current moment at the club. He's already had several pieces of his jigsaw brought in. Changing style soon would make things a lot harder imo.

"...when our counter attacks fizzle out due to poor passing."

So, the key to improved play is good passing on the counter-attacks. I haven't been dismayed by that, for the most part, this season. Or last. We're not perfect but this is one area where the players themselves are given control of the play to create on the break. Hard to imagine a better group of forwards to create something spontaneously than what we have.

Otherwise, our defensive record, last match notwithstanding, has been excellent.
Conte was talking about the final pass, and I remember Son's passing from the Arsenal game being quite poor when it came to that final ball, not that he was singling him out. I'm sure he wasn't the only one but I remember the one glaring error Son made which was uncharacteristic for a relatively simple pass. Overall, it's not been bad otherwise we wouldn't be in 3rd, but we could always do better. The team needs to do better with their chances, we can't afford to be so wasteful. Last season was pretty good too, especially considering Conte came in during the season. Kulu has been a player that can pass on the break or when the opponents are set in their formation.

Conte was talking about the final pass, and I remember Son's passing from the Arsenal game being quite poor when it came to that final ball, not that he was singling him out. I'm sure he wasn't the only one but I remember the one glaring error Son made which was uncharacteristic for a relatively simple pass. Overall, it's not been bad otherwise we wouldn't be in 3rd, but we could always do better. The team needs to do better with their chances, we can't afford to be so wasteful. Last season was pretty good too, especially considering Conte came in during the season. Kulu has been a player that can pass on the break or when the opponents are set in their formation.
His passing isn’t great generally. It’s why we need him on the end of them

Back