• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I really don’t get the criticism that Conte is taking. Yeah results have been ahead of performances but that’s the first league game we’ve lost in 13 I think.

We were okay yesterday until Hugo threw one in. We were well in the game and I was sitting quite comfortably at half time. Yeah they dominated the start but we came into the game and we looked a lot more incisive when we attacked. You can’t legislate for stupidity and Conte had to deal with two players who should know better making a mickey of things.

People jumping up and down for 3 in CM based on 20 minutes against a ragged Leicester side arent living in the real world. You don’t shuffle your pack on that basis. Contes set up was fine in my book even if we were too passive for my liking at the start.

Conte is still the man for me. It’s not always a good watch but he know what he’s doing.

Could not agree more, but you know as well as i do some will not listen.

We have 2 points from 3 London Derbies and tbh we were lucky to scrape a point against Chelsea. There is definitely scope for more flexibility..
But 2 points more than we got last season in those derbies
So actually an improvement
And Chelsea we got what we deserved by being brave with our subs
Don’t forget they okayed 3-7-0 to negate our midfield

I really don’t get the criticism that Conte is taking. Yeah results have been ahead of performances but that’s the first league game we’ve lost in 13 I think.

We were okay yesterday until Hugo threw one in. We were well in the game and I was sitting quite comfortably at half time. Yeah they dominated the start but we came into the game and we looked a lot more incisive when we attacked. You can’t legislate for stupidity and Conte had to deal with two players who should know better making a mickey of things.

People jumping up and down for 3 in CM based on 20 minutes against a ragged Leicester side arent living in the real world. You don’t shuffle your pack on that basis. Contes set up was fine in my book even if we were too passive for my liking at the start.

Conte is still the man for me. It’s not always a good watch but he know what he’s doing.
100%
He knows how to win things which is something we have sorely lacked
He also doesn’t fudge around with players who ain’t what he needs… again a weakness with some other managers
He has been here 11 months now… so not even a year

We were rubbish for to much of the first half again, got away with it before yesterday's game in a similar circumstances which obviously means people give that style more of a chance, but I didn't see yesterday's game at HT and think it was very even, we invited them on and when we went one down it was fully deserved TBH.

I love Conte but he isn't bullet proof and the passive style is at times a hard watch if nothing else and as much as that's just aesthetics fans can live with the PEH and Royal experiment is one that continues to baffle and is on Conte as is his reticence to make a sub early In the game. I'm behind him, fully, making fair observations about his faults game to game doesn't change that TBh

It wasn’t a stretch imo
We were cutting through them quite easily
They had one shot before the goal and the goal changed the dynamic briefly before another stupid mistake
They were htting speculative shots which is actually how the goal came
Luck definitely plays a bigger role than most of us might want to admit, I get that with Partey’s goal… but it was a good effort unfortunately. The ref also plays a huge part in the final result and he clearly was inconsistent throughout the match. The foul on Son was an easy yellow card that he failed to give. We could say it was just one of those games where players made critical errors, so I get it's especially disappointing for the manager to have to deal with that (although that is very slightly his fault in terms of selection... instead of letting Doherty or Spence build up some momentum, he's put most of his eggs in the Royal basket).
The result we got was unfortunate but it seems many on here were content to just forfeit the game. I know we as Spurs fans have a complicated relationship with belief and it's clear that we have some way to go in terms of squad building. I'm ok with being patient, but in the meantime I will assess how we're doing.

I wasn't too hopeful before this match but that's partly down to my now-regular suspicions regarding Conte's squad selection. Finally, I have to say to anyone using the table as some vindication for our performances might get a rude reality check. Obviously, it's not something I wish for but even dropping down to 4th or 5th midway through the season is a possibility.

We were rubbish for to much of the first half again, got away with it before yesterday's game in a similar circumstances which obviously means people give that style more of a chance, but I didn't see yesterday's game at HT and think it was very even, we invited them on and when we went one down it was fully deserved TBH.

I love Conte but he isn't bullet proof and the passive style is at times a hard watch if nothing else and as much as that's just aesthetics fans can live with the PEH and Royal experiment is one that continues to baffle and is on Conte as is his reticence to make a sub early In the game. I'm behind him, fully, making fair observations about his faults game to game doesn't change that TBh

Fair enough. We see the game slightly differently. We were passive to start with and a bit too deep for my liking. But our shape was solid and they didn’t carve out too many gilt edged opportunities. They were always going to come after us early and we had to weather that storm. For the last 15 mins of the first half, we looked the better team.

Second half started similarly. We weather that storm, it quietens the crowd and frustrates their players. Instead, Hugo throws one in. Then Royal throws in the most brainless challenge to ensure can’t chase the game.

Yeah we’d all love to go out on the front foot and attack but I think it would have been suicidal yesterday to try that from the off.

Luck definitely plays a bigger role than most of us might want to admit, I get that with Partey’s goal… but it was a good effort unfortunately. The ref also plays a huge part in the final result and he clearly was inconsistent throughout the match. The foul on Son was an easy yellow card that he failed to give. We could say it was just one of those games where players made critical errors, so I get it's especially disappointing for the manager to have to deal with that (although that is very slightly his fault in terms of selection... instead of letting Doherty or Spence build up some momentum, he's put most of his eggs in the Royal basket).
The result we got was unfortunate but it seems many on here were content to just forfeit the game. I know we as Spurs fans have a complicated relationship with belief and it's clear that we have some way to go in terms of squad building. I'm ok with being patient, but in the meantime I will assess how we're doing.

I wasn't too hopeful before this match but that's partly down to my now-regular suspicions regarding Conte's squad selection. Finally, I have to say to anyone using the table as some vindication for our performances might get a rude reality check. Obviously, it's not something I wish for but even dropping down to 4th or 5th midway through the season is a possibility.
It is possible, but it’s unlikely IMO
There is a real mish mash of teams beneath us and we have had a LOT of hard away games

Fair enough. We see the game slightly differently. We were passive to start with and a bit too deep for my liking. But our shape was solid and they didn’t carve out too many gilt edged opportunities. They were always going to come after us early and we had to weather that storm. For the last 15 mins of the first half, we looked the better team.

Second half started similarly. We weather that storm, it quietens the crowd and frustrates their players. Instead, Hugo throws one in. Then Royal throws in the most brainless challenge to ensure can’t chase the game.

Yeah we’d all love to go out on the front foot and attack but I think it would have been suicidal yesterday to try that from the off.
If we had the players to go for them I’d be cool with it
But we haven’t built our squad to play like that
We have brought in DMs to play their role
Wing backs to play as wing backs (royal was BC)
Players like Richy who have been in counter attacking teams
So we play that way and we have done well with it

It is possible, but it’s unlikely IMO
There is a real mish mash of teams beneath us and we have had a LOT of hard away games
As long as you're not including West Ham in that, I mostly agree. Again, it's not something I wish for so I hope people don't get me wrong there. It has been a strange season considering some big teams around us underperforming and/or experiencing managerial changes (made a huge difference for us last season).
Also, many people here seem to not factor our CL performances so far in rating our season overall. I'm still disappointed about the Sporting result but we have time to correct the situation.

As long as you're not including West Ham in that, I mostly agree. Again, it's not something I wish for so I hope people don't get me wrong there. It has been a strange season considering some big teams around us underperforming and/or experiencing managerial changes (made a huge difference for us last season).
Also, many people here seem to not factor our CL performances so far in rating our season overall. I'm still disappointed about the Sporting result but we have time to correct the situation.
I do include west ham in that
The 3 big London games we have had away were all at grounds we have struggled with and lost at last year
I can’t include CL as I haven’t seen us play in it yet thsi season

he said 3 more transfer windows. i will give him that at the very least.
Yeah. To be fair, as much as Royal gets all the stick it’s not as if our left wing backs have been pulling up any trees is it? And we have signed for next season Destiny Udogie who plays LWB who has been doing very well and looks the real deal. And we are at least getting points on the board whilst looking pretty bad for long periods. It’s just that we look worse than we was playing last season that’s annoying, but hopefully after the WC we are in good shape to improve like we did second half of last season…..

Spot on for me. I think the second half would have followed the pattern of the first half had we not gone a man down.

I know xG isn't a perfect description of chances, but even ignoring the penalty we had a similar xG to Arsenal after the first half (understat).

Arsenal are a very good team, in form, playing at home. They will have periods of control and some chances being created. They obviously came out pressing, running a lot, the first half we could see that change. I think it would have in the second half too.

Given the players we have, our reliance on players that can't play a high intensity pressing game for extended periods of time (Kane on particular, but also Son) I think Conte was pretty much spot on with his tactics.

So we got a good coach who realises we have worse players than arsenal so played defensive as weaker team would.

Which implies that ... Arsenal had a better transfer season than us, since many said they were a weak team last season.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

So we got a good coach who realises we have worse players than arsenal so played defensive as weaker team would.

Which implies that ... Arsenal had a better transfer season than us, since many said they were a weak team last season.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

If that was in response to me that's not what I was saying at least.

We have a very good team, some fantastic players. But some of them are better suited to playing a more defensive counter attacking style for periods of games. Whereas Arsenal have players more suited to a high pressing dominate possession style football.

One style is not inherently better or worse than the other. And we do have a the quality and ability to change our approach like we did in the first half after a while. We're just not able to play like that for 90 minutes.

Spot on for me. I think the second half would have followed the pattern of the first half had we not gone a man down.

I know xG isn't a perfect description of chances, but even ignoring the penalty we had a similar xG to Arsenal after the first half (understat).

Arsenal are a very good team, in form, playing at home. They will have periods of control and some chances being created. They obviously came out pressing, running a lot, the first half we could see that change. I think it would have in the second half too.

Given the players we have, our reliance on players that can't play a high intensity pressing game for extended periods of time (Kane on particular, but also Son) I think Conte was pretty much spot on with his tactics.
I agree
Said it to my nephew that they will come out strong second half, probably get one and will equalise for a Desmond (my pre match prediction)
But you can’t count for stupidity

Back