• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aren't we still paying Redknapp a rather large amount of money each month for the privilege of no longer being our manager?

How about not revealing what has gone on in internal talks to the press in exchange for that money?

I would think we had some kind of clause in his contract about not talking about stuff like this to the press?

Modric and Moutinho are, imo, a class above Dembele. I like Dembele but would prefer one of those two staring for us.

Keeping Modric isn't the end of the world imo

I agree that keeping Modric would be fine.

Also agree that Modric and Moutinho are a class above Dembele, but bringing in Dembele instead of Moutinho would leave us with enough spare change to bring in another very good player.

So it's not Moutinho or Dembele, but rather Moutinho or Dembele and for example Damiao.

Steff this reminds me of the Rio to Leeds shenanigans when Redknapp was at Wet spam. Talk was he was getting a cut from Pini zahavi who was brokering the deal as he changed from refusing to consider the transfer to suddenly backing it much to Terence Brown's bemusement. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same with Modric. The man does not give a damn about any club only knows how to line his own pocket.

Zero chance of that happening at Spurs under Levy

I want him gone just fudge him off - i dont blame levy in this situation and I see why we still havent sold him - RM's conduct and well lowballing us and I admire our stand against those ****s.

Spot on couldn't have said it better myself. Reminds me of Ferguson saying he wouldn't sell them a virus. At Least Man U met our asking price.

Aren't we still paying Redknapp a rather large amount of money each month for the privilege of no longer being our manager?

How about not revealing what has gone on in internal talks to the press in exchange for that money?

I would think we had some kind of clause in his contract about not talking about stuff like this to the press?

If Redknapp has broken an agreement with the club then I would expect Levy to withhold part of the payment

Zero chance of that happening at Spurs under Levy

That's right but only because we have Levy would n't have stopped him trying though. I mean even during the season I thought it strange that he kept going on about how Levy should give Modric a new deal with more money. He probably would have got a cut of that. Funny he said that then and now says there was a deal in place for Modric to go to Real.

I agree that keeping Modric would be fine.

Also agree that Modric and Moutinho are a class above Dembele, but bringing in Dembele instead of Moutinho would leave us with enough spare change to bring in another very good player.

So it's not Moutinho or Dembele, but rather Moutinho or Dembele and for example Damiao.

Obviously I appreciate that, it would be more of a concern for me if I thought we were skint.

As it is I don't believe we are, so would rather look for the highest quality Modric replacement possible

Last edited:
I know what you're saying, should take it with a pinch of salt and all that. But you do have to start to worry at some point that maybe there is a hint of truth in it

I don't think there is any truth in it. They will say things to explain other things - no signing must mean the money is needed from somewhere else. They simplify for their audience. Not everyone is City, most clubs can't afford to pay more than they have already decided a player is worth.

No pinches of salt needed. The papers lie. They have a quota of stories for every page of every sports section, every day. If they have nothing they will put a weak, vague story in. Clubs rarely challenge the lies/half truths because of the cost/time involved and the apologies are always lame. Plus, what's the point? we are/aren't after a player, it's hardly a libelous claim.

Let me ask you something - actually anyone.

If we didnt have much funds (it may seem we dont - in which case where the fudge has all our money gone) then would you sell Modric for less than what we would have expected i.e. 5m less? No one seems to be offering what we want and it seems we need the funds to buy a striker or two.

If we dont have the funds then whilst levys stand against those ****s (RM) is admirable it is to the detriment of our team and rebuilding of our squad.

Yes, if it meant we could complete the deal for a replacement or another player AVB thought important.

I don't think transfers should be considered in isolation. If, for instance, Moutinho wants to come and is available for £25m now, then selling Modric (who wants to go) for £35m, possibly even less, makes sense. If we're still haggling with Porto, then keep insisting on £40m. As stated elsewhere, I think Liverpool's £15m plus Carroll for Torres deal had sound business logic; it was a bad deal because the player didn't meet the footballing requirements.

Haggling to get the best deal on the Modric deal in isolation loses sight of the big picture. The goal is to improve the football team and make a profit overall, not to make the best deal on each big transaction at the expense of other things like pre-season preparation, maintaining a balanced squad, etc.

D'you know what's funny? Cast your minds back and you'll recall how many of you were saying how you'd much rather sell Modric to Real Madrid for £30-35m, than sell him to Chelsea for £40m. In fact, it wasn't even specific to Real Madrid; it was 'any foreign club'. Apparently - going from more ITK gonads - Levy actually even quoted a lower price to foreign clubs. Personally, I found this fudging laughable, but such are ITKs - it was said with such faux authority and conviction.

So what do we hear now? Ah yes, guess what, Levy wants £40m. Huh, you mean there's no discount!!?? Yes, there's no fudging discount. Imaginations really do run wild on here and other sites. I mean seriously, a discount - to one of the richest clubs on the planet?? Yeah, when Levy rinses clubs like Sunderland for our rubbish, he's REALLY gonna turn all philanthropic when Real Madrid come knocking!? :lol:

Time to make your nonsense plausible.

As stated elsewhere, I think Liverpool's £15m plus Carroll for Torres deal had sound business logic; it was a bad deal because the player didn't meet the footballing requirements.

I don't follow that ss any sort of logic, business or otherwise. It was a ridiculous method of valuing a player

Yes, if it meant we could complete the deal for a replacement or another player AVB thought important.

I don't think transfers should be considered in isolation. If, for instance, Moutinho wants to come and is available for £25m now, then selling Modric (who wants to go) for £35m, possibly even less, makes sense. If we're still haggling with Porto, then keep insisting on £40m. As stated elsewhere, I think Liverpool's £15m plus Carroll for Torres deal had sound business logic; it was a bad deal because the player didn't meet the footballing requirements.

Haggling to get the best deal on the Modric deal in isolation loses sight of the big picture. The goal is to improve the football team and make a profit overall, not to make the best deal on each big transaction at the expense of other things like pre-season preparation, maintaining a balanced squad, etc.

But isn't it different here - Modric is on a long term contract (4 years) there is no need to sell. Even if he has a hissy fit now Levy must be confident that AVB wil be able to manage it. Also if RM go back on an agreement and appear to get our player on the cheap it sets a dangerous precedent. After all if Liverpool hung on until 55m and Man utd hung on til 70m for Ronaldo why shouldn't we get as much as possible.

flimflame

who have Chelsea signed that would have come to us??? Torres?Mata?Hazard?Ramires?Luiz? none would have come to us because we pay in buttons and have had no CL

if its the club leaking this brick then they are simply getting their excuses in early for not signing anyone, and its a pretty pathetic excuse. There are enough players out there for everyone and the club needs to target more realistic players because we are not big payers transfer fee and wages wise

Courtois, Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Lukaku.

D'you know what's funny? Cast your minds back and you'll recall how many of you were saying how you'd much rather sell Modric to Real Madrid for £30-35m, than sell him to Chelsea for £40m. In fact, it wasn't even specific to Real Madrid; it was 'any foreign club'. Apparently - going from more ITK gonads - Levy actually even quoted a lower price to foreign clubs. Personally, I found this fudging laughable, but such are ITKs - it was said with such faux authority and conviction.

So what do we hear now? Ah yes, guess what, Levy wants £40m. Huh, you mean there's no discount!!?? Yes, there's no fudging discount. Imaginations really do run wild on here and other sites. I mean seriously, a discount - to one of the richest clubs on the planet?? Yeah, when Levy rinses clubs like Sunderland for our rubbish, he's REALLY gonna turn all philanthropic when Real Madrid come knocking!? :lol:

Time to make your nonsense plausible.

Ha, you make a fair point. I personally said I'd rather sell to Madrid for £5m cheaper than to Chelsea/Man Utd etc but whether that comes to fruition who knows....

And what's this gibberish about 'loyalty' regarding Redknapp?? Why the fudge should HE show any loyalty to Spurs; a club whose Chairman decided to fudge him off? :lol: Redknapp can say whatever the hell he likes! Ramos tinkled off without a squeak as he didn't have a record at Spurs to back any of it up. NO ONE can argue with Harry's record at Tottenham, so within that is an entitlement to pass a respectable opinion. You don't have to agree with his opinion, but guess what he's done more at Spurs as a manager than any other fool before him for about the last 20 odd years.

Harry is a realist and I think that's why some of you don't like him; he reminds you that Tottenham Hotpsur ISN'T Real Madrid, ie: players like Modric will always come and go, until such time as Levy decides to bankroll some serious investment in our team. And I'm talking NET investment: not selling £40m, to spend £40m - that's fudge all 'investment' - its a cost neutral position. I bet Harry is pleased he's well shot of us to be honest; left with a fantastic record, now he can enjoy being a pundit and playing golf 24/7. Hard life!!

And what's this gibberish about 'loyalty' regarding Redknapp?? Why the fudge should HE show any loyalty to Spurs; a club whose Chairman decided to fudge him off? :lol: Redknapp can say whatever the hell he likes! Ramos tinkled off without a squeak as he didn't have a record at Spurs to back any of it up. NO ONE can argue with Harry's record at Tottenham, so within that is an entitlement to pass a respectable opinion. You don't have to agree with his opinion, but guess what he's done more at Spurs as a manager than any other fool before him for about the last 20 odd years.

Harry is a realist and I think that's why some of you don't like him; he reminds you that Tottenham Hotpsur ISN'T Real Madrid, ie: players like Modric will always come and go, until such time as Levy decides to bankroll some serious investment in our team. And I'm talking NET investment: not selling £40m, to spend £40m - that's fudge all 'investment' - its a cost neutral position. I bet Harry is pleased he's well shot of us to be honest; left with a fantastic record, now he can enjoy being a pundit and playing golf 24/7. Hard life!!

Hmmm I'm sure his payoff would include some clause about keeping his mouth shut.

Wait what? Trying to target Carlos Tevez is now something a realist would do?..

:-k

I agree with most of what you say outside of that.

Lol that post is pretty much spot on. I think Steff will probably argue Spurs showed loyalty throughout the Redknapp courtcase etc but I think in reality Spurs were only looking after their own interests....

On Lacelles:

CJ Murray ‏@CJMurray247
@jetsetyid Are we still freeing that youngster from the woods? Doesn't seem to be much talk about him lately.

‏@jetsetyid
@CJMurray247 There is a story behind it but not on twitter! Not dead but goalposts moved...

No Lloris:
Evs79 ‏@ChrisEvs79
@akqayid so leandro and lloris are nailed on u reckon?

‏@jetsetyid
@ChrisEvs79 @akqayid FFS not Lloris ! we spoke early on but too expensive.It finished there & then. goalkeeper is least of targets!

@jetsetyid: I won't b naming names before the Q & A session starts! We know what we are doing & have a clear list of targets. Some are closer than others.

@TH1882FC: @jetsetyid how about writing them on a piece of paper, posting it to yourself, then video the opening on sept 1st and put it on YouTube? ;-)

@jetsetyid: @TH1882FC Why do I need to do that? I know who we are going for & dont need to prove anything to anyone ;0) Some maybe disappointed with the outs.....

In reply to "g rossi, i bet he is cheap"....
The original JJetset ‏@jetsetyid
Yes good one and injured too!!

In reply to someone asking if we should be concerned re lack of striker itk...
No don't get concerned get excited!!

When the same person asked how excited, klinsmann level excited?...
Trying really hard and real class.

And again from the same person "Only a handful of strikers in the world would live up to that and they have always been out of reach #financialconstraints"
I agree

When asked about whether we are interested in Pato...
Always! He won't come to UK though :0( !! So not happening

Then he replied with 1 answer to 2 questions, "do you think defoe will be leading the line v Saudi Sportswashing Machine and is he back from compassionate leave"....
No

And finally, when asked if there will be incomings next week...
Not sure to be honest. I doubt things will move that fast,hopeful but not sure it will be concluded.

Wait what? Trying to target Carlos Tevez is now something a realist would do?..

:-k

I agree with most of what you say outside of that.

Well it didn't hurt to try did it? It wasn't like they spent all window chasing after him, just enquired as to what the situation was.....

Back