• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Koscielny was much improved last year. Good player.

Worrisome if Arsenal get both Cazola and Sahin, and not even just for this year. Those are two young fantastic talents for now and the future.

Make some moves AVB, make some moves.

Cazola is 27 I believe

And for all those saying we've closed the gap on the gooners, the shadow is shifting, no trophy in 7 years, imploding into oblivion, etc. - they can still attract good players and got their market work done nice and early whereas we're left sitting here having to chew over flimflam ITK which is a summary of headlines from newsnow.

They might be good players but I am not convinced that they are the right players.

Let's see where we are come September 1st. Don't get to downcast arcy!

You see, Ian - I think that's half (or at least a major part) of the problem - we have been reduced to always having to wait for deadline day like some fudging losers in a race who sit in horror watching the timing screens, hoping they don't finish last or make the cut. Not to mention the sheer absurdity and desperation of having to hope some qunts would be kind enough to sell us their player 2 hours before dead-line day.

Below are a few question which have been bothering me for a while now

- If Levy knew Arry was going to go irrespective of 4th / Chelsea’s CL win / etc. (presuming that is what actually took place) - why wait so long after our Fulham before completing the investable (and something which supposedly started as soon as Capello closed the door and Arry started making happy noises)

- Even if AVB had some flimflam clause preventing him from signing a new contract in England before a certain date (proven?) - and Redknapp was released in May - we could have still approached the Portugeezer and done some kind of a pre-agreement while in turn both himself and Levy can commence working to targets, rebuilding, re-shaping or whatever other ego-boosting words the media release suggested.

- Instead we did it the hard way and always do - and by now all clubs

- know we have a new manager looking to 're-shape' - buys are imminent
- know we desperately need at least one and even 2 quality strikers
- know we have a few pessos having only signed up until recently Scott Parker from the Championship

- In addition - by now (last 2-3 odd weeks) we are entering what I refer to as 'sellers’ market' - i.e. those willing to do business are either desperate, really keen on a player or simply too rich to give a brick. Therefore the selling club (knowing time is running out) takes us to the cleaners which in turn puts of Levy and we often end up 'what could have been'

And we all know what comes next

Last edited:
How is a top class attacking midfielder not the right player for them?

I think that there are doubts about all of the players they have signed this summer and none of them look like an adequate replacement for RVP when he leaves. They have spent a lot of money this summer but I'm not sure they have improved the balance.of the team.

Arsenal will be in the chase, they always are but I do not think that they have signed any players that we should be overly worried about.

Our inactivity in the transfer market is making some people nervous and this in turn makes other clubs signing look better than they are.

I don't think Cazorla was ever meant to be RVP's replacement - if anything he'd assume the position of Nasri / Fabregas deployment-wise. And in terms of like-for-like replacement - I'd say they've done very well in that regard.

Podolski could go either way, granted - but again, a direct, attacking player with considerable national and international experience. Whereas Girroud looks like a vintage Wenger signing or at least one unliekely to lose money on. We don't even have half of that to work with, Milo

Akqayid:
The only fax I know is in N17.... And it working on outgoings 1 to Holland, 1 to the champ and 1 to Spain. No names. Just #lockdownatthelane

Akqayid:
The only fax I know is in N17.... And it working on outgoings 1 to Holland, 1 to the champ and 1 to Spain. No names. Just #lockdownatthelane

Is this supposed to mean we are selling 3 players?

For those requesting Rondon papers say we are making a 10m bid.

Hehe, I have to admit that I find it a bit strange that we don't normally have a "lockdown" on our transfer dealings, but now suddenley supposedly have it. Levy; "Hey chaps, let's not write all about this proposed deal on twitter now, eh? Don't tell your neighbour's dog or your cousin's grandma, yeah?". Strange, strange.

Spurs linked with Rondon

Cazorla might not be the only player heading for North London

Last Updated: August 3, 2012 8:21am

The Spanish club need to raise money to clear debts owed to players and other clubs while the threat of relegation hangs over them as potential punishment if repayments are not made.

Santi Cazorla looks set to join Arsenal in a £17m deal and Rondon could follow his current team-mate to the other side of North London in a move to Tottenham.

The 22-year-old Venezuela international scored 11 goals in La Liga last season as Malaga qualified for the UEFA Champions League.

It remains to be seen whether the debt-ridden club will take part in the European Cup in the new season and it is also uncertain whether Rondon will still be in Spain.

He is quoted as saying in The Sun: "If the situation is not fixed, it is normal that players would leave."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7959096/Spurs-linked-with-Rondon

Spurs in Stekelenburg link

Roma keeper attracting interest from several clubs

By Gerrit van Leeuwen. Last Updated: August 2, 2012 12:30pm

The Netherlands international only joined Roma on a four-year contract from Ajax 12 months ago, but endured a disappointing first season in Serie A.

He was sent off twice for the Giallorossi and there has since been a change of coach at Stadio Olimpico after Zdenek Zeman replaced Luis Enrique.

Stekelenburg stated earlier in the summer that he is happy to stay in the Italian capital, but speculation continues to link the 29-year-old with a move.

Reports have claimed that Premier League side Tottenham are among his suitors and his representative Rob Jansen is ready to look at interest in the imposing keeper.

Happy

"There are several clubs who have contacted us about Maarten," Jansen told De Telegraaf. "We will take a look at that interest.

"In the last weeks of the transfer window, some significant transfers can happen at some of the biggest clubs."

Jansen later told Voetbal International that Stekelenburg is one of three players Spurs are looking at as a long-term replacement for current No.1 Brad Friedely.

He added: "Maarten is indeed one of the three goalkeepers who is on Tottenham Hotspur's list.

"He is playing for a big club and happy. But Tottenham is also a big club and it has always been a dream for Maarten to play in the Premier League."

Roma are reportedly interested in signing Julio Cesar, who has also been linked with Spurs, from Inter Milan and that could pave the way for Stekelenburg to leave.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7957137/Spurs-in-Stekelenburg-link

He is quoted as saying in The Sun: "If the situation is not fixed, it is normal that players would leave."

Yep, no doubt, that quote reveals it, we're interested! Haha. :p

Arsenal offer consistent CL football - which is like an extra 50m per year for them plus immeasurably more attraction to footballers like Cazorla - along with a far higher turnover thanks to their stadium. Not to mention the fact they've sold the likes of Adebayor (25m), Nasri (25m), and Fabregas (35m) in recent years.

Comparing our current spending power to theirs is just ridiculous. Sure they've started to flex their financial muscle, but that's because they've spent years accumulating money by developing young players to sell and waiting to pay off their stadium. We don't have that kind of youth product line yet, and even if we did and they didn't we still wouldn't be able to compete with their turnover.

After we build the stadium is the time to start asking for 'more ambitious' signings. We are still the same club, financially speaking, as the one whose record transfer is 16.5m - lower than Villa, same as Everton.

A young Van Persie for 2m is the 'Arsenal-type signing' we should be making.

sure but the point is an extra outlay of a few millions last season could have bought us 1 point and CL qualifications.
there's one thing about steady growth, but the shrewdest of businessmen can still sense an opportunity and take a gamble. levy should have midway through last season.

I don't think Cazorla was ever meant to be RVP's replacement - if anything he'd assume the position of Nasri / Fabregas deployment-wise. And in terms of like-for-like replacement - I'd say they've done very well in that regard.

Podolski could go either way, granted - but again, a direct, attacking player with considerable national and international experience. Whereas Girroud looks like a vintage Wenger signing or at least one unliekely to lose money on. We don't even have half of that to work with, Milo

I don't look at any of those players and think "how did they get them" and whether they will be successful or not it is impossible to say. Loads on here were kicking themselves when they signed Ashavin and look how that has turned out.

We know who our targets are and we should know that they were always going to drag on. Ade is on big money at Emirates Marketing Project and he was always going to hold out for as much as he can get.

Modric was also always going to be tricky and until that is concluded we cannot sign a replacement.

It'll be interesting to bump the Levy thread at the end of the window. It was started when Redknapp was still here and it'll be interesting to compare views on transfer activities under the two managers and who we think is culpable for delays, inactivity and dragging things out.

Back