• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually think that things will happen when the tour to America is over. AVB said he wanted to assess the squad in the first few friendlies and training before making decisions but we will go into the market when the time is right. I think that's why it's been quiet even with ITKs and tabloids - we really aren't doing much other than working on Ade, which was already way down the pipeline. Interestingly whenever AVB was asked about Ade he has called him "an option" but pointed out there are other options. I think people are frustrated because the early signings of Sig and Verts got everyone excited and it's gone quiet. But if you think about it AVB was always going to look at the squad, play around with formations and players in a few friendlies before making his moves.

Verts was way down the line to being completed before AVB arrived so that was sanctioned and Sigurdsson - we needed to act fast as he was about to sign for Liverpool. Other than that I think we will make our moves once AVB is sure which holes we have in the squad. Strikers are an obvious one but I think we are clearly confident Ade will get done eventually and I think it will be done before Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

They came and they weren't Saha or Frazier Campbell.

One of these was a January import and the other a make-weight loan signing for the Berba deal.

Personally, I would like us to do our transfer business in time to have a settled squad for the start of the new season. I happen to subscribe to the "in Levy we trust" view, but we need things to happen, and we need them to happen fast?

I actually think that things will happen when the tour to America is over. AVB said he wanted to assess the squad in the first few friendlies and training before making decisions but we will go into the market when the time is right. I think that's why it's been quiet even with ITKs and tabloids - we really aren't doing much other than working on Ade, which was already way down the pipeline. Interestingly whenever AVB was asked about Ade he has called him "an option" but pointed out there are other options. I think people are frustrated because the early signings of Sig and Verts got everyone excited and it's gone quiet. But if you think about it AVB was always going to look at the squad, play around with formations and players in a few friendlies before making his moves.

Verts was way down the line to being completed before AVB arrived so that was sanctioned and Sigurdsson - we needed to act fast as he was about to sign for Liverpool. Other than that I think we will make our moves once AVB is sure which holes we have in the squad. Strikers are an obvious one but I think we are clearly confident Ade will get done eventually and I think it will be done before Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

We've probably spoken to several clubs already to gauge things and the deals we want to make must be someway down the line by now. I would Modric and striker situations solved by the time we play Watford.

Why on earth are people freaking out about signings when...

a. It ALWAYS goes down to the last few days in every window
b. None of our rivals are exactly miles ahead of the 2 signings we've brought in. City - nobody. Utd - two in like us, Arse - two in like us, Liverpool - nobody, Chelsea - one more in than us, Toon - nobody. Everyone's in the same boat.
c. AVB and DL are clearly very, very, very, very, very, very aware of our need for strikers
d. Ade will blatantly sign at the end of the day. 100%. The wrangling is just the game. It'll be an €11m signing (however you slice it up between transfer fee/wages/golden hello/golden goodbye), which is probably less than he's actually "worth".

Relax people!

a. Because we never learn from our mistakes
b. City and Utd are miles ahead of us, Chelsea have totally revamped there midfield and are proving they are not adverse to spending big on players they want, the Goons have already brought in two strikers so no we are not all in the same boat. And buy the way if you check you will see that Liverpool have bought a striker
c. Considering Levy has known this for at least 2 months he is taking his time
d. What happens if he signs and gets injured? or if we lose him for a month during the ANC?

I think things will happen this week. Be it the Ade signing and Modric departure, atleast we should see movement.
Once Modric has gone I expect us to be a little busier in the market so long as the fee for Mods goes back in the transfer fund that is.

But if Levy is still in US with AVB then cant see much happening till they get back

I guess the successes don't count. Ade, VDV, Parker.

Ade we did not buy we loaned

VDV we got him because he was offered to us a couple of days before the start of the season. We had just made CL and what we really needed was a striker

Parker, good signing but I feel we gave a year too long, not worth a 4 year year contract.

If Adebayor gets his £170K a week which he would be more than happy to go to Fulham, live in London and play first team football. He maybe surplus to their requirements at City but they can live with it.

Why the fudge don't Spurs just sign him for £10m and let City make up the difference. Basically we are having a game of chicken with Emirates Marketing Project and as we appear to be putting all our eggs in teh Adebayor basket we have more to lose. And finally, would you be happy if we signed Adebayor for £5m and on £100K a week after we had lost out first 2 league matches not scoring a goal? Personally I would not, especially when I remember we lost out on 3rd place by 1 point

Spurs only "appear to be putting all our eggs in the Adebayor basket" because, no matter the impression given by ITK's, fans and media aren't privy to the club's plans, who their targets are or how far along any deals might be.

As to moving any deal for Ade along.....again, we don't know the details. We don't know what the holdup really is. But I can't agree with those who casually say that the club should just pay an extra £5 million (or whatever) as if that is an insignificant amount of money.

Good point.

It was always likely that we would see something of a hiatus in transfer activity as the team was away and as AVB assessed the squad.

That said, it doesn't take much by way of assessment to come to the conclusion that we need a striker or three!

we got two early signings didn't we?

as for the late signings, who's to say we're early or late without having seen the real finances of the club. it could be that prices were bumped significantly only at the end of the transfer window in our favour, and we had to delay the stadium build for a couple of years because we'd splurged it on transfers and salaries...

fact is we don't have a constant CL money stream nor a big enough stadium, nor a benefactor; so we should compare ourselves to similar clubs.

VDV we got him because he was offered to us a couple of days before the start of the season. We had just made CL and what we really needed was a striker

Parker, good signing but I feel we gave a year too long, not worth a 4 year year contract.

Have we made ANY signings you're happy about?

Now a question for Jordinho, have we bought a striker in the last 4 years that you have been happy with? For me the answer is no

So you're both complaining about not signing players sooner and about the deals we manage to make when we do sign them?

You realize that probably the main reason we do leave it late is so we can get better deals for the signings we do make?

Now a question for Jordinho, have we bought a striker in the last 4 years that you have been happy with? For me the answer is no

I was happy about Crouch, At the time he fit with what we needed. Pavlyuchenko was promising, but suffered from the change in management. Very happy about VDV. I see him as a forward.

This leads me to the next issue: Should we sign a player that isn't as good or one we're not 100% sure on just to get it done rather than wait and get the one we really want?

So you're both complaining about not signing players sooner and about the deals we manage to make when we do sign them?

You realize that probably the main reason we do leave it late is so we can get better deals for the signings we do make?

Logic will not be tolerated, let me making easy for you

- Anything that doesn't happen is purely the club/Levy/AVB fudging around
- Anything that does is purely luck/chance
- The solution is simple, just spend, either ENIC/Joe pull out and match everyone else, or sell to someone that is going to.

That is what fans in general on this forum have gotten to. Posts with people explaining what Cheat$ki/Manure are doing? are we ever going to outspend them? or beat them to significant signings with any regularity?

Spurs only "appear to be putting all our eggs in the Adebayor basket" because, no matter the impression given by ITK's, fans and media aren't privy to the club's plans, who their targets are or how far along any deals might be.

As to moving any deal for Ade along.....again, we don't know the details. We don't know what the holdup really is. But I can't agree with those who casually say that the club should just pay an extra £5 million (or whatever) as if that is an insignificant amount of money.

Well you say that, but maybe AVB wanted to have a proper look at everyone at the club first. He may want to rule out Defoe, Kane and even players like Coulibaly being able to cut it in his team before making a move for someone else other than Ade.

We are all writing off Defoe as being able to play in AVB's system, but everyone seems to point out that the striker in AVB's preferred formation isn't expected to do anything other than score. We know Defoe is crap at everything other than hitting the ball hard at goal, preferably when running onto it. But if we can get the rest of the team to provide the right service, i've no doubt Defoe could fire them in for fun. The problem with Defoe under previous management has always been that we have had other strikers that could play a more all-round game so that when Defoe came into the team he'd be hit with balls designed for an Ade or a Crouch and wouldn't be able to make much of them.

I've seen Defoe play upfront on his own to great effect. It all depends on how you service Defoe. If AVB builds a team capable of putting in the right service, Defoe could thrive. If he plans to play any other way then Defoe needs to be binned in all probability as he can only thrive on a very specific kind of service. But its these questions that AVB probably needs time to figure out in his head. If we're planning on using Defoe then what we actually need as a back-up is another player similar to Defoe in which case we probably need to pull the plug on the Ade deal and go for someone like Sturridge or (how ironic?) even Darren Bent. I.e. a selfish taco who is only good when the chance is put on a plate for him to his feet. Kind of annoying as well that Pav could have been a good understudy for Defoe in this kind of system IMO.

Well you say that, but maybe AVB wanted to have a proper look at everyone at the club first. He may want to rule out Defoe, Kane and even players like Coulibaly being able to cut it in his team before making a move for someone else other than Ade.

We are all writing off Defoe as being able to play in AVB's system, but everyone seems to point out that the striker in AVB's preferred formation isn't expected to do anything other than score. We know Defoe is crap at everything other than hitting the ball hard at goal, preferably when running onto it. But if we can get the rest of the team to provide the right service, i've no doubt Defoe could fire them in for fun. The problem with Defoe under previous management has always been that we have had other strikers that could play a more all-round game so that when Defoe came into the team he'd be hit with balls designed for an Ade or a Crouch and wouldn't be able to make much of them.

I've seen Defoe play upfront on his own to great effect. It all depends on how you service Defoe. If AVB builds a team capable of putting in the right service, Defoe could thrive. If he plans to play any other way then Defoe needs to be binned in all probability as he can only thrive on a very specific kind of service. But its these questions that AVB probably needs time to figure out in his head. If we're planning on using Defoe then what we actually need as a back-up is another player similar to Defoe in which case we probably need to pull the plug on the Ade deal and go for someone like Sturridge or (how ironic?) even Darren Bent. I.e. a selfish taco who is only good when the chance is put on a plate for him to his feet. Kind of annoying as well that Pav could have been a good understudy for Defoe in this kind of system IMO.

I actually also think Defoe could do a job as a lone striker under AVB. At least good enough for the squad.

The problem under Redknapp with Defoe ahead of VdV was that we had no height and we were easily forced into playing long balls that we then promptly lost most of the time.

If AVB can up our build up play from the back a bit we will hopefully see a lot less long balls, Vertonghen will already help with this, a sweeper keeper (yes, I went there) would help as well. As will the return of Hudd.

I actually also think Defoe could do a job as a lone striker under AVB. At least good enough for the squad.

The problem under Redknapp with Defoe ahead of VdV was that we had no height and we were easily forced into playing long balls that we then promptly lost most of the time.

If AVB can up our build up play from the back a bit we will hopefully see a lot less long balls, Vertonghen will already help with this, a sweeper keeper (yes, I went there) would help as well. As will the return of Hudd.

Well exactly. Its all about making the most of the players in the team. Do you know what, a team that does not play it long often, but works balls in from the midfield and builds play with short passes before laying it off is perfect for Defoe. If Defoe played for the scum for example I think he'd be a 25-30 goal a season player easily.

I actually have put Torres in my fantasy team for next season because I think the reason he has been so brick for Chelsea is purely down to the wrong type of service. Now they've brought in a shed load of the kind of players torres likes playing with I think next season will be the making of him in a Chelsea shirt (unfortunately).

I honestly think that if AVB can impose his quick short passing game on the squad, Defoe may surprise quite a few, even playing on his own upfront. It also makes bringing in a player like Ade less of a necessity. If we're not going long very much then we don't actually need a big guy upfront who is good at hold-up play. Of course its ideal to have a player who can do a bit of everything, but they're very rare and very expensive.

The other thing is that its not just about the first XI. AVB may feel that people like Jenas and Livermore can do a job if needed. I hate to see people asking why Jenas is playing in pre-season. Surely AVB needs to know whether he feels Jenas can do a job before shipping him out and then having to spend money on midfield back-ups?

Logic will not be tolerated, let me making easy for you

- Anything that doesn't happen is purely the club/Levy/AVB fudging around
- Anything that does is purely luck/chance
- The solution is simple, just spend, either ENIC/Joe pull out and match everyone else, or sell to someone that is going to.

That is what fans in general on this forum have gotten to. Posts with people explaining what Cheat$ki/Manure are doing? are we ever going to outspend them? or beat them to significant signings with any regularity?

Shame your logic does not explain that in Jan 2011 we were in need of a quality striker which would have helped us get CL.

As for outspending them, not sure that has anything to do with point any one has made over the last few pages. No one has remotely suggested we should be outspending them. I for one have never mentioned anything about beating them to quality signings. I have however opined that I feel it is a mistake in putting all our eggs in the Adebayor basket when we only have Defoe. We did the same last summer and only brought him in when we had 0 points out a possible 6

Shame your logic does not explain that in Jan 2011 we were in need of a quality striker which would have helped us get CL.

As for outspending them, not sure that has anything to do with point any one has made over the last few pages. No one has remotely suggested we should be outspending them. I for one have never mentioned anything about beating them to quality signings. I have however opined that I feel it is a mistake in putting all our eggs in the Adebayor basket when we only have Defoe. We did the same last summer and only brought him in when we had 0 points out a possible 6

You keep making that claim.

But you don't know that we are putting all our eggs in that one basket.

Back