• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This leads me to the next issue: Should we sign a player that isn't as good or one we're not 100% sure on just to get it done rather than wait and get the one we really want?

The only reason I will not bother to answer that is because I had a top quality scouting system set up I am sure I could pick up a striker just as good without this prolonged hassle, especially if I knew for the last 6 months I would need to bring in 2 strikers

You keep making that claim.

But you don't know that we are putting all our eggs in that one basket.

I guess I am basing on that on our dealings last summer and last two Jan transfer windows. Apart from Adebayor we really seem to be out of ideas when it comes to getting a striker. But you know what mate, I sincerely hope I am wrong.

The only reason I will not bother to answer that is because I had a top quality scouting system set up I am sure I could pick up a striker just as good without this prolonged hassle, especially if I knew for the last 6 months I would need to bring in 2 strikers

I can agree to an extent as we've seen other teams get deals sorted quicker. Adebayor is destined to run the whole window due to his wages. If our other targets are Moutinho and one of Damiao/Sturridge for example, it's quite obvious that they won't be sorted quickly either due to the money involved.

Would you be happy if we signed Adebayor for £5m and on £100K a week after we had lost out first 2 league matches not scoring a goal? Personally I would not, especially when I remember we lost out on 3rd place by 1 point

Totally agree with this. The margins are so fine. Yes we could be saving a few mil be letting the time pass and forcing City's hand, but we could also be losing the points which ultimately will be worth more.

This is probably what Fergie meant when he called Levy different. Yes he can force a good financial deal but does it actually harm the performance of the club? Man Utd probably knew they would eventually have to pay a massive fee for Berbatov if we left it till the final day, but they didn't expect to have to, because they would reason that we would surely want enough time to find a replacement. But Levy was different. He rather had the money.

He says he has learnt from that. I hope he has done.

While early loses might cost us ultimately this season, Im inclined to look over the longer term (2-3 seasons + ) when talking transfers.

If we cannot get Adebayor in until the end of the window it sucks (for the immediate) but longer term sees us sorted up front so I really cant complain.

Of course it would be even better if he signed right now.

As it stands at the moment, I believe we are all behind AVB's "Spurs Project" and I think we all realise that it will take time for AVB and DL to put the necessary personnel into the club to enable it to play the AVB way.

As stated in other threads and other posts:

Yes, the next two weeks will be some of the biggest in our history,
Yes, we missed out on CL football last season by 1 point, when we had 0 points out of 6 after the first two games (when we had shipped 8 goals, with 1 in reply, which incidentally was scored by a defender).

I really want us to avoid a repeat of a situation where a disgruntled player derails all of our pre-season plans, or one decides to depart for one of the team’s he “supported as a child”.

Before we step onto the pitch against Saudi Sportswashing Machine in a few weeks time, it would be great to have our preferred personnel in place and I simply support those posters who want us to sign some quality firepower.

Unfortunately, the likes of PSG, RM and Emirates Marketing Project have priced the top drawer strikers out of our league, but I am convinced that we can attract someone who can slot into AVB’s plans, at a reasonable price?

As Brain of Levy stated, I am all for Levy playing “hardball”, getting the best deal for the club, but how much has our “freakish” non-qualification for CL cost the club in the long run (and how much will our continued “non-qualification” cost us in the future, if we continue to miss out on targets, or get them in too late to make a difference?)

Well you say that, but maybe AVB wanted to have a proper look at everyone at the club first. He may want to rule out Defoe, Kane and even players like Coulibaly being able to cut it in his team before making a move for someone else other than Ade.

We are all writing off Defoe as being able to play in AVB's system, but everyone seems to point out that the striker in AVB's preferred formation isn't expected to do anything other than score. We know Defoe is crap at everything other than hitting the ball hard at goal, preferably when running onto it. But if we can get the rest of the team to provide the right service, i've no doubt Defoe could fire them in for fun. The problem with Defoe under previous management has always been that we have had other strikers that could play a more all-round game so that when Defoe came into the team he'd be hit with balls designed for an Ade or a Crouch and wouldn't be able to make much of them.

I've seen Defoe play upfront on his own to great effect. It all depends on how you service Defoe. If AVB builds a team capable of putting in the right service, Defoe could thrive. If he plans to play any other way then Defoe needs to be binned in all probability as he can only thrive on a very specific kind of service. But its these questions that AVB probably needs time to figure out in his head. If we're planning on using Defoe then what we actually need as a back-up is another player similar to Defoe in which case we probably need to pull the plug on the Ade deal and go for someone like Sturridge or (how ironic?) even Darren Bent. I.e. a selfish taco who is only good when the chance is put on a plate for him to his feet. Kind of annoying as well that Pav could have been a good understudy for Defoe in this kind of system IMO.

:ross:

Has it really got that desperate.

That's one stage off the 'I reckon Verts could do a decent job up top - he's got composure, can finish, knows the offside rule...'.

That's one stage off the 'I reckon Verts could do a decent job up top - he's got composure, can finish, knows the offside rule...'.

there you go again shooting people down are you going to acknowledge you were completely wrong yesterday about leandro damaios shirt and apologise to the people you shot down and laughed at? somehow dont think so?

Didn't you say recently that you thought Vertonghen could do a better job than Defoe up front in AVB's 'system'

Not really, as I think Defoe is a quality player given the 'right' supply.

According to A Bola, Real Madrid have contacted Benfica for Axel Witsel after their friendly but Benfica don't want to sell.

He's a midfielder, yes. United were linked to him a few weeks ago. Could be tactics on someone's part.

Yes indeed. That's what I was thinking but I'm not entirely sure what that would achieve (if it is a ploy that is).

Real Madrid: " Hey Spurs, if you don't sell us Modirc cheap were going to buy Witsel, so there!"
Spurs: "Um..okay. "

Yes indeed. That's what I was thinking but I'm not entirely sure what that would achieve (if it is a ploy that is).

Real Madrid: " Hey Spurs, if you don't sell us Modirc cheap were going to buy Witsel, so there!"
Spurs: "Um..okay. "

That's the thing, in no way does it force us to sell Modric, and they can't bank on it making Modric so annoyed that he forces a move through.

If they did decide to bid for someone else, it's because they didn't think Modric was worth the money...not our fault we turn down a bid that is clearly too low.

Back