• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd happily take the risk.

Tottenham Hotspur aint ever gonna win the title while it's hamstrung by ENICs inability to display muscle in the transfer market. Look at the history; it's pitiful isn't it? That's the problem though.

Each to their own, but one mans "sensible" is another's lack of ambition.

What lack of ambition? So Levy should show ambition by saying fudge it I quit? Selling up to some oil-rich knob that sees us as s toy? fudge that - I like Levy he's got balls and he's sensible. More than that it feels more like "our club" with him in charge. I like having Spurs people in charge - yeah we can't spunk £50m on a striker we don't need then spend the summer after buying every promising midfielder in the world but fudge it were spurs, we still have a soul and we will spend money - sensibly! ;)

I'd prefer that the club is run sensibly and we still exist in 10-20 year, hell 100 years, rather than have similar experiences to Leeds, Rangers etc who were run very badly and spent way beyond their means

Adam, I agree with Sheikh. We dont need to spend to the level that the likes of Chelscum and Man bricky spent but come on how many years have we been begging for a striker?

People blamed Harry yet guess what? we still dont. How many years without a striker fudging hell. Thats infuriating. We have saved a brickload of money through transfers and wages saved. Money is there. If it is not where the hell is it going? Im spend 800 a season on an ST plus brick loads in the shops etc - where is all that going?

Its just typical and it does infuriate me. I can imagine we are being out priced for every single striker we go for.

I know you won't believe me, but I actually find your robust, verbose insults and rage superbly entertaining! In fact, if you're old enough to remember a music paper called Melody Maker, they used to have a column called Mr Abusing. It was brilliant, complete with him having a section titled C**t Of The Week. Check it out as an archive on the web...if this comes across as rude, believe me, that isn't my intent...Just to further qualify, I don't think that the way a person posts here necessarily denotes how they are, as some people enjoy a bit of a rise and a bit of verbals, so again, I always see your posts as turning up the amplitude in that respect, even when you're slagging me off

Seriously ? I wouldnt hesitate to knock him the fudge out.

AywygglCEAAOYaO.jpg:large

LOLdear #-o

Defoe and Kane it is

Seriously fudged up and if people have their wish and Defoe is sold it could really be just Kane hahahahahahahahahaha

Gotta laugh.

Kranjcar blasts Spurs chief Levy and urges Modric to go 'on strike' to land dream move
By SAMI MOKBEL
PUBLISHED: 21:54 GMT, 26 July 2012 | UPDATED: 22:21 GMT, 26 July 2012

Niko Kranjcar has launched a scathing attack on Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy over his treatment of Luka Modric.
Levy has so far refused to sanction Real Madrid’s move for Modric as he holds out for a £40million fee, and the Croatia midfielder has embarked on a mini-revolt; failing to attend training last week and then snubbing the club’s pre-season tour to the US.

Dispute: Luka Modric wants to join Real Madrid
And Kranjcar — who left White Hart Lane for Dynamo Kiev this summer — has backed his compatriot’s stance and criticised Levy for allegedly going back on his word.
‘If I were Modric, I would go on strike, too,’ said Kranjcar. ‘To have an offer from Real Madrid is a once-in-a-career opportunity. I’d do anything to get to Santiago Bernabeu.
‘I know the chairman talked to him face to face last autumn. Levy did everything to protect the interests of the club and make a profit. If you were in Luka’s shoes, you would probably do the same as him. They held me back for two years, until my new club paid what they were asking, and not a pound less.
‘Though lots of people will say it’s not like Tottenham, if you look at history, Dynamo Kiev is bigger than Spurs.’

Why, Niko, why? :(

Kranjcar blasts Spurs chief Levy and urges Modric to go 'on strike' to land dream move
By SAMI MOKBEL
PUBLISHED: 21:54 GMT, 26 July 2012 | UPDATED: 22:21 GMT, 26 July 2012

Niko Kranjcar has launched a scathing attack on Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy over his treatment of Luka Modric.
Levy has so far refused to sanction Real Madrid’s move for Modric as he holds out for a £40million fee, and the Croatia midfielder has embarked on a mini-revolt; failing to attend training last week and then snubbing the club’s pre-season tour to the US.

Dispute: Luka Modric wants to join Real Madrid
And Kranjcar — who left White Hart Lane for Dynamo Kiev this summer — has backed his compatriot’s stance and criticised Levy for allegedly going back on his word.
‘If I were Modric, I would go on strike, too,’ said Kranjcar. ‘To have an offer from Real Madrid is a once-in-a-career opportunity. I’d do anything to get to Santiago Bernabeu.
‘I know the chairman talked to him face to face last autumn. Levy did everything to protect the interests of the club and make a profit. If you were in Luka’s shoes, you would probably do the same as him. They held me back for two years, until my new club paid what they were asking, and not a pound less.
‘Though lots of people will say it’s not like Tottenham, if you look at history, Dynamo Kiev is bigger than Spurs.’

Why, Niko, why? :(

Lol, we 'held him back' in a squad challenging for the title on good money in the most popular league in the world. How awful life must have been for him.

The thing with this whole Modric thing, is that you get so many other players say that they are happy to stay at their clubs, even though their dream move is on the table. Schurrle said about Chelsea's interest that he would have talked to them if they had a bid accepted, but since his club didn't accept it he was happy to stay at Leverkeusen. Lucas Moura has said that he wants his agent to keep negotiating with United, but that if he stays at his club it will be fine too.

I understand Luka is older than these guys, but apparently the Chelsea move was once in a lifetime last year too. He has 4 years left, he'll still be a hot property for a big club next summer. We've said he can go, as long as the asking price is met. If Madrid want him enough, they should pay. It really is that simple. Levy has done nothing to be 'blasted' about whatsoever.

The petulant anger at Levy for demanding a decent fee for him, the shameless admission of an utter lack of any dedication whatsoever to Dynamo Kiev (as evidenced by his ' I would do anything to move to Madrid' spiel) and the sly little parting dig at us for elevating him to a stage where what he said would be listened to, instead of being ignored as both him and his club at the time, Portsmouth, sank into financial oblivion....

Niko, did you hate us all along? Or are you just another ****ish modern footballer with no integrity whatsoever? Sigh.

It's worth pointing out that Fergie has been talking about "no value in the market" for years now, and has continued to refuse to buy a world-class CM, even though Man Utd make *far* more money every year than us (and have 80m worth of Ronaldo money, the same way Liverpool have 50m in Torres money, and Arse had Nasri+Fabregas money). Thanks to the financial doping of clubs who use exogenous money (wealthy individuals) rather than fan support to buy players, the market is heavily distorted now by enormous subsidies - not just in our league, but all over the world...think about the money Shakhtar players are making, and players in the Russian premier league, and the Middle East and now China. Football is not a fans' game.

Clubs who play it fair are heavily disadvantaged. "If you can't beat them, join them"; but perhaps we're waiting for the bubble to burst.

But I do think that there are more great players out there than can be hoarded by the likes of City, Chelski, PSG etc. Not the glamour players, not the superstars, or the bright young things, but potentially great players who can be molded into an even better team. (Hell, didn't Jelavic outscore most of the superstrikers in this league :lol:) That's an insanely difficult challenge when you have to agonize over every piece of the puzzle, but no one ever said supporting Tottenham was easy.

FWIW, I do think most transfer speculation is incredibly overblown - if we're close to a player, we've probably sounded out tentative interest or the agent has been hawking him out...in fact I think more links come from the agent side than ours. I'm sure we "express interest" in many players and scout them out every window, but we're only really far along on two or three. At the end of this window I expect:

Gylfi
Vertonghen
Zeki Fryers + Lascelles => youth team
Adebayor (more like last year's signing)
CM to replace Modric (and not one that would shatter our 16.5m record...I expect Joe Allen or Dembele or someone similar for <15m. I think the wage increases we've been forced to concede will eat up the rest of the Modric money.)

Which is actually not bad in terms of quantity - the problem is that there isn't a real first XI upgrade in there except maybe Vertonghen, and we'd take a big step backwards if we scrimp on Modric's replacement. Which means we'd likely be weaker on paper than last year, and the only reason we finished fourth last year was because Arse, Chelsea, and Liverpool were unbelievably crap. Which is a slice of luck I don't expect to see again.

So...yeah. Rabbit out of the hat time. :lol:

How to fix a £50m striker who doesn't score? Spend £128m on 4 attacking MF's to assist him (Oscar, Mata, Marin, Hazard).

Seriously disappointing from Kranjcar. Fact of the matter is that when he did play for us he looked slow and very unfit.

Sad and bitter little ****.

Just read on the OS that Defoe has returned to England after his cousin passed away.. that leaves us with Kane for the rest of the US tour. I assume colibaly didn't make the trip? Maybe we'll see our new number 9 as a striker.. :eek:

Back