• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Clubs who play it fair are heavily disadvantaged. "If you can't beat them, join them"; but perhaps we're waiting for the bubble to burst.

The bubble has to burst some time, and when (not if) it does, then people will be looking at the way THFC has been run by Levy & ENIC and hold us up as an example of responsible management practices. The current spate of massive outside investment with a negative return on that investment is not sustainable. That's simple economics. What happens when the oil wells run dry?

For us to sell our soul just so we can talk brick to our mates at the pub is a short-term gain with massive long-term repurcussions. I am proud of the fact that we make a net profit, that we are still English-owned, that our beloved club will still be around when my grandchildren are born. That, to me, is so much more important than buying some trophies because that happens to be the current trend.

We are Tottenham. We will do it our way, regardless of what others are doing. We have been leaders in this sport for over a century, and maybe, just maybe, the Chairman of the club with a Masters' degree from Oxford knows a little more about this business than you or I do. If that means standing pat while others are betting their futures on shirt sales in China, then that is fine by me.

The bubble has to burst some time, and when (not if) it does, then people will be looking at the way THFC has been run by Levy & ENIC and hold us up as an example of responsible management practices. The current spate of massive outside investment with a negative return on that investment is not sustainable. That's simple economics. What happens when the oil wells run dry?

For us to sell our soul just so we can talk brick to our mates at the pub is a short-term gain with massive long-term repurcussions. I am proud of the fact that we make a net profit, that we are still English-owned, that our beloved club will still be around when my grandchildren are born. That, to me, is so much more important than buying some trophies because that happens to be the current trend.

We are Tottenham. We will do it our way, regardless of what others are doing. We have been leaders in this sport for over a century, and maybe, just maybe, the Chairman of the club with a Masters' degree from Oxford knows a little more about this business than you or I do. If that means standing pat while others are betting their futures on shirt sales in China, then that is fine by me.

=D>

Absolutely excellent post. Best I've read on here for a long while.

but we need three strikers.....

I'm just kidding - that's a hell of a post.

I'd have new owners; if ENIC can't afford to put the money into Tottenham which is needed, then they need to stop tinkling around and sell the club to an owner who CAN put that kinda money in.

Yeah I'm all for doing it the perfect way, but guess what, while we're pursuing this noble cause, everyone else around us is going twice as fast.

Lovely job, Daniel - but you can't take the club any further. Best for everyone if you find some dumb Arab billionaire who wants to build their profile a little bit outside of the desert.

Well I cannot argue as it's simply a different approach.
I understand what you're saying, yes you're right to a degree, but I personally am happier doing it this way than becoming another megabuck project for some billionaire. Comes down to choices in that regard.

The point, is that other clubs don't fudge about in the transfer market - they get players in.

Over the last couple of years

Man Utd
de Gea
Jones
Young
Kagawa
Powell
£70.2m

Chelsea
de bruyne
Lucas
Cahill
Meireles
Mata
Lukaku
Romeu
Courtois
Oscar
Hazard
Marin
£162m

Liverpool
Coates
Enrique
Downing
Henderson
Adam

Borini
£70m

Emirates Marketing Project
Nasri
Aguero
Savic
Clichy
£81m

Arsenal
Arteta
Mertesacker
Santos
Park

Oxlade-Chamberlain
Gervinho
Podolski
Giroud
£77m

Spurs
Parker
Vertonghen
Sigurdsson
£25.3m

The facts are there. Debating about whether signings are successful or not is academic; the point is that those signings are actually made.

I know you said the debate is academic, but I bolded the donkeys/unproven/jury's out (did not count new summer signings)...I'd rather wait than have those over-priced, highly average players myself...

Brilliant mate!

Friday's gossip column
TRANSFER GOSSIP

Arsenal have targeted £20m-rated Santi Cazorla, 27, as a central playmaker for next term - and are still chasing Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila, 22, and 17-year-old Caen forward M'Baye Niang.

Full story: Daily Mirror

AC Milan and Real Madrid are set to go head-to-head in a battle to sign Emirates Marketing Project's 24-year-old defender Micah Richards.

Full story: talkSPORT

Liverpool have moved a step closer to landing 21-year-old Bologna and Uruguay winger Gaston Ramirez after his agent arrived in England for talks.
Gaston Ramirez

Gaston Ramirez scored in Uruguay's Olympic opener

Full story: Metro

Chelsea could make their fourth big-money buy of the summer after Marseille revealed that Spanish right-back Cesar Azpilicueta, 22, could leave the club.

Liverpool are likely to reject West Ham's £17m bid for 23-year-old striker Andy Carroll.

Full story: Daily Mail

Manchester United and Arsenal are interested in signing 21-year-old defensive midfielder Victor Wanyama from Celtic.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has rejected reports linking them with Emirates Marketing Project's 27-year-old midfielder Nigel de Jong.

Lucas Moura

Lucas is currently in England with Brazil's Olympic squad

Brazil star Ganso, 22, is ready to snub interest from Arsenal and AC Milan to stay at Santos - despite failing to agree a new contract.

West Brom are rivalling Everton for 25-year-old Villarreal defender Cristian Zapata.

OTHER GOSSIP

Vincent Kompany snubbed interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona before signing a record-breaking £60m contract with Emirates Marketing Project

Atletico Madrid will offer young midfielder Oliver Torres a lucrative new contract to fend off interest from Chelsea.

England left-back Ashley Cole has still not been offered a new deal by Chelsea - despite having just one year left on his contract.

Blackburn are ready to take QPR to a tribunal after the club's failed to agree a compensation package for 22-year-old winger Junior Hoilett.

AND FINALLY...

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and his players took to the catwalk to try out modelling for charity dinner and fashion show in Shanghai.

Adam, I agree with Sheikh. We dont need to spend to the level that the likes of Chelscum and Man bricky spent but come on how many years have we been begging for a striker?

People blamed Harry yet guess what? we still dont. How many years without a striker fudging hell. Thats infuriating. We have saved a brickload of money through transfers and wages saved. Money is there. If it is not where the hell is it going? Im spend 800 a season on an ST plus brick loads in the shops etc - where is all that going?

Its just typical and it does infuriate me. I can imagine we are being out priced for every single striker we go for.

I'm not advocating for relentless expenditure but there is a lot of truth in the above sentiment

If we (GHod forbid) fail to sign a striker yet again this transfer season then without a shadow of a doubt Levy has to take the blame, in addition to accepting a considerabe proportion of inadequacy in failing to replace Berbatov in what is now 9 (?) transfer windows. fudgein hell - there has to be 1-2 striker out there who'd be willing to play for a Top 5 PL club while living in London and earning 80k a week.

I'm not advocating for relentless expenditure but there is a lot of truth in the above sentiment

If we (GHod forbid) fail to sign a striker yet again this transfer season then without a shadow of a doubt Levy has to take the blame, in addition to accepting a considerabe proportion of inadequacy in failing to replace Berbatov in what is now 9 (?) transfer windows. fudgein hell - there has to be 1-2 striker out there who'd be willing to play for a Top 5 PL club while living in London and earning 80k a week.

I'm sure there are quite a few of those, but how many are of the required quality to a) Be a regular starter for us and b) Justify a massive fee/have significant resale value?

if we dont have the money that other club do, then why are we wasting time chasing the likes of Leandro

we simply need to cut our cloth accordingly, Verts and Siggy were affordable after selling Corluka and Kranjcar, there are cheap strikers out there, Demba Ba for 7 mill, Ade for 5 mill, the young French kid Niang for about 6 mill, and there you go we have 3 strikers for less than it will cost to buy one in Leandro

I'm sure there are quite a few of those, but how many are of the required quality to a) Be a regular starter for us and b) Justify a massive fee/have significant resale value?

Llorente earns about a 1/3 fo that. Same with the few 'shiners' in Russia, Argentina, Germany etc.

There are plenty of options out there - please, enough with the excuses

Last edited:
Brilliant mate!

Cheers Steff!

I see a lot of similarities between the current situation in world football, and the property boom of the last decade, namely unsustainable levels of debt coupled with a limited source of consumption. The mega-zillionaires that are throwing their money into the game can only be basing their investment decisions (if that is the purpose of their ventures) on the upward curve in revenues continuing for the foreseeable future. Again, basic economics tell us that the consumer can only spend a certain amount of their income on any given non-essential item, in this case football. When their ability to consume is maxed out, that is when it all falls apart and those that owe more debt than they can service can no longer to operate as they were. An old investment adage is to sell when the market is good, and buy when it is depressed. Right now the market is massively over-valued but it won't always be.

In a nutshell, for me, being a Tottenham fan has never been purely about winning, it's been about winning the right way (cue Danny Blanchflower quote). In my opinion, we ARE presently doing things the right way and not mortgaging our long-term future for a short-term gain. COYS!

Last edited:
I don't actually think Kranjcar was that bad in what he said. The papers have blown it up. When you look at the actual quotes, all he's saying is (clearly in response to a journo's question on his opinion of his (mate) modric going on strike):

i'd probably do the same if Real Madrid were in for me, you'd move heaven and earth to get there. He also said he understood the chairman's position in demanding what he feels is the right price and that we did the same for him, not letting him go for 2 years.

He isn't blasting Levy at all he's just saying his opinion on the situation. The press have twisted it into a "blast at Levy"

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS has blasted Giovani dos Santos for saying he wants to quit Tottenham.

The Mexican midfielder, signed from Barcelona four years ago, last week ruled out staying at White Hart Lane when his deal expires in 12 months.
Dos Santos, 23, currently at the Olympics, wants to return to Spain.
Tottenham boss AVB said: “I am not sure what Gio’s thought process was, coming out with a statement like that.
“The player is contracted to the club. We respect him and are counting on him to return to club duty.
“Then we will make a decision that is best for the club.”
Villas-Boas has suffered another setback — Rafael van der Vaart is out of their showdown with Liverpool here tomorrow after getting crocked again.
The Dutch master injured his groin in the 1-1 draw at LA Galaxy earler this week.
AVB originally said that he expected the player to be fit to face Brendan Rodgers’ men.
But the injury appears to be more serious than first thought.

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS has blasted Giovani dos Santos for saying he wants to quit Tottenham.

The Mexican midfielder, signed from Barcelona four years ago, last week ruled out staying at White Hart Lane when his deal expires in 12 months.
Dos Santos, 23, currently at the Olympics, wants to return to Spain.
Tottenham boss AVB said: “I am not sure what Gio’s thought process was, coming out with a statement like that.
“The player is contracted to the club. We respect him and are counting on him to return to club duty.
“Then we will make a decision that is best for the club.”
Villas-Boas has suffered another setback — Rafael van der Vaart is out of their showdown with Liverpool here tomorrow after getting crocked again.
The Dutch master injured his groin in the 1-1 draw at LA Galaxy earler this week.
AVB originally said that he expected the player to be fit to face Brendan Rodgers’ men.
But the injury appears to be more serious than first thought.

Look in the mirror man! He really needs to shut up or re-adjust his comments regarding players publically. GDS is clearly in the wrong, but all he has to say is that GDS has loads of potential (or a t'riffic player), has a part to play and is under contract.

Look in the mirror man! He really needs to shut up or re-adjust his comments regarding players publically. GDS is clearly in the wrong, but all he has to say is that GDS has loads of potential (or a t'riffic player), has a part to play and is under contract.

get behind the manager and stop being so aggresive

Back