• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From a football standpoint, it has been brilliant, but you must get the sense of things are really STARTING to properly look up for us now, linked and buying better calibre players, the sort of players we've wanted to sign etc.

Well ok - Loris was linked to us before AVB, Ade also (he was Harrys signing right?) and well Vert also. Sig may not have been. If you want you can count the likes of Oscar but it seems that that was a non starter and barely exciting as we knew that Chelscum entering the race there had been one winner. Maybe Lewandowski too.

I am not comparing now im merely stating that these 'rumours' for the same players were on going since last January. i know where most are coming from that things are 'looking up' but I think it is way too soon to say. I am sure chelscum fans were thinking along those lines.
I am optimistic tho.

When I say strikers I mean a right wing forward. If you guys want us to battle on three fronts (no considering carling cup) then it is essential that there is a suitable Ade replacement (split the 60 games between them) and essentially a right wing forward - I love Lennon but we suffered without a suitable replacement for him.

They did not suffer from many injuries. Even if they had i guess Sturridge might still have been picked over Lukaku..

I know Ronaldo is the main goal threat but Real Madrid only have two strikers in their squad.

They also have Callejon. But he is one who is seemingly happy spending most of his time on the bench there. Who would be happy spending most of their time on the bench for us? Not Defoe. Also worth noting that they use Benzema (and Callejon) in a wide/attacking midfield role sometimes.

Arsenal had van Persie and the incredibly brick Chamach (sp?) last season, then Walcott could have done a job perhaps if need be. If you look at Rooney as an attacking midfielder, not a pure striker Manu had 3 strikers last season and could hardly give Berbatov a game.

I don't really know Portuguese football that well, this Moutinho fella' an adequate replacement IF Modders leaves?

It's one that you could look at two ways...I think Moutinho does exactly the same job as Modric, he doesn't score loads or necessarily directly assist all the time but he invariably starts the moves that do. Like Modric his strength is receiving the ball tight, making space and releasing intelligently. He keeps the play ticking over and is the sort of midfielder you build the team around. At Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Portugal most of the midfield moves go through him and he is the team he plays for's conductor.

Main differences? Do I think Moutinho is technically as good as Modric can be in terms of close control and gliding past players in midfield? No.
Is he as hard working as Modric? Yes
Is he as intelligent? Yes, I think so
Is he a great passer? Yes

I'd actually liken him more to Carrick when he was with us but maybe a bit more forward thinking and with more aggression and bite about him. I think Modric is overall a better alround player but I can't really think of a player other than Moutinho who could come in and fit like such a glove into our team especially as he'd be such a supporter of avb among the players! If Modric has to leave I hope we get this guy!

When I say strikers I mean a right wing forward. If you guys want us to battle on three fronts (no considering carling cup) then it is essential that there is a suitable Ade replacement (split the 60 games between them) and essentially a right wing forward - I love Lennon but we suffered without a suitable replacement for him.

They did not suffer from many injuries. Even if they had i guess Sturridge might still have been picked over Lukaku..

It's one that you could look at two ways...I think Moutinho does exactly the same job as Modric, he doesn't score loads or necessarily directly assist all the time but he invariably starts the moves that do. Like Modric his strength is receiving the ball tight, making space and releasing intelligently. He keeps the play ticking over and is the sort of midfielder you build the team around. At Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Portugal most of the midfield moves go through him and he is the team he plays for's conductor.

Main differences? Do I think Moutinho is technically as good as Modric can be in terms of close control and gliding past players in midfield? No.

I'd actually liken him more to Carrick when he was with us but maybe a bit more forward thinking and with more aggression and bite about him. I think Modric is overall a better alround player but I can't really think of a player other than Moutinho who could come in and fit like such a glove into our team especially as he'd be such a supporter of avb among the players! If Modric has to leave I hope we get this guy!

I agree with that.

I think Moutinho is the best Modric replacement we can realistically get and probably one of the few players in the world you could call a more or less direct Modric replacement. Although he's probably also the most expensive Modric replacement we can realistically get and still not as good as Modric in my opinion.

I think you'd be surprised with his close control. He has quick feet and good balance and glide past players when required.

Agent_ITK saying Modric having a medical at Real.

Find it little hard to believe. Whenever they spend more than a few million, they love to publicise any signings with photos and videos of the whole process!

I agree with that.

I think Moutinho is the best Modric replacement we can realistically get and probably one of the few players in the world you could call a more or less direct Modric replacement. Although he's probably also the most expensive Modric replacement we can realistically get and still not as good as Modric in my opinion.

Yeah basically my 'looking at it two ways' piece I started with but didn't go on to explain really was that I'd rather keep Modric and have him focus playing for Spurs... But if we HAVE to let go then Moutnho all day long over anyone else realistically we can get for me!

I think you'd be surprised with his close control. He has quick feet and good balance and glide past players when required.

Yeah he can do that and we saw it at the euros, I just don't think he's quite as good as Modric at it..

Agent_ITK saying Modric having a medical at Real.

Find it little hard to believe. Whenever they spend more than a few million, they love to publicise any signings with photos and videos of the whole process!

Agent_ITK is simply one of those guys there's just no point in listening to. Has absolutely no clue what so ever.

Was a bit worried when I read about Moutinho on Wikipedia. He apparently forced a move from Sporting to Porto, which is like moving from Spurs to Le Arse;

On 3 July 2010, Moutinho signed a five-year contract with F.C. Porto. The player fell under heavy criticism for forcing a transfer to a rival club after spending 10 years in Sporting's youth ranks, also being one of the team's star players and captain. Sporting chairman José Eduardo Bettencourt described Moutinho's conduct as deplorable: "If I had not experienced the situation, I would not believe it was possible to descend so low". Sporting awaited offers from other clubs but Moutinho forced the transfer to Porto: "We tried to get him to wait longer, so that there might be some offers from abroad, but Joao lost his temper and forced an exit to FC Porto, telling us that he had given his word to FC Porto".[5][6] After this, he became a persona non grata at the club, being called a rotten apple: "The deal was done because Sporting wanted it, because it did not want a rotten apple in its orchard, and it did not want someone who was not an example, nor dignified the flag of the club."[7]

Hmmm ...

Agent_ITK is simply one of those guys there's just no point in listening to. Has absolutely no clue what so ever.

Was a bit worried when I read about Moutinho on Wikipedia. He apparently forced a move from Sporting to Porto, which is like moving from Spurs to Le Arse;

On 3 July 2010, Moutinho signed a five-year contract with F.C. Porto. The player fell under heavy criticism for forcing a transfer to a rival club after spending 10 years in Sporting's youth ranks, also being one of the team's star players and captain. Sporting chairman José Eduardo Bettencourt described Moutinho's conduct as deplorable: "If I had not experienced the situation, I would not believe it was possible to descend so low". Sporting awaited offers from other clubs but Moutinho forced the transfer to Porto: "We tried to get him to wait longer, so that there might be some offers from abroad, but Joao lost his temper and forced an exit to FC Porto, telling us that he had given his word to FC Porto".[5][6] After this, he became a persona non grata at the club, being called a rotten apple: "The deal was done because Sporting wanted it, because it did not want a rotten apple in its orchard, and it did not want someone who was not an example, nor dignified the flag of the club."[7]

Hmmm ...

Is it really as bad? Sporting are from Lisbon, from what I understood their main rivals were Benfica by some distance. Although Porto and Sporting are among the big teams in Portugal so rivals as such, but not arch rivals. Anyone here from Portugal that can confirm this or correct me on this?

Maybe him and Modric could talk strategy when it comes to forcing a move to a rival (but not arch-rival) club upon his arrival... :)

Maybe he has changed as he has grown older?

But how different is that to how Vertonghen acted? Vertonghen apparently made it clear that he only wanted to join us and that if Ajax wouldn't sell then he would let his contract expire. I know we're not direct rivals to Ajax but are there any other real differences?

But how different is that to how Vertonghen acted? Vertonghen apparently made it clear that he only wanted to join us and that if Ajax wouldn't sell then he would let his contract expire. I know we're not direct rivals to Ajax but are there any other real differences?

That was more due to Ajax not fulfilling their side of the contract though. The 15%.

The Premier League is a lot more prestigious of a league than the Dutch, obviously. It's the same with top players from smaller leagues all over the world, they want to try themselves at the top level. I know Ajax has regular Champions League football, but it's still a bit like if we were relegated, you'd understand if some of our top players would want to be sold to the Premiership, to play against tough opposition in one of the best leagues in the world, week in week out.

Is it really as bad? Sporting are from Lisbon, from what I understood their main rivals were Benfica by some distance. Although Porto and Sporting are among the big teams in Portugal so rivals as such, but not arch rivals. Anyone here from Portugal that can confirm this or correct me on this?

Maybe him and Modric could talk strategy when it comes to forcing a move to a rival (but not arch-rival) club upon his arrival... :)

I was probably a bit too quick to call it a Spurs vs Le Arse kind of rivalry. Probably not as fierce, but there is definitely rivalry between the two;
http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/whats-the-fiercest-rivalry-in-portugal.213713/

Out of interest - do you think that buying two strikers and only having two strikers on the book is enough?

I wouldnt even be happy with just Ade and Defoe as our strikers. Im looking for three strikers on our books. Two top quality strikers and Defoe.

Yes. We're only ever going to play 1 forward now, so 2 will be enough.

Ideally we'll end up with Ade and a young understudy like Leandro or de Jong.

I don't see the point in keeping Defoe because even as 3rd choice - he's just not capable of stepping in and playing that role. In the event of both Ade and young Ade being injured, we'd probably be better going Spain with Rafa and Sig as false 9s.

Yes. We're only ever going to play 1 forward now, so 2 will be enough.

Ideally we'll end up with Ade and a young understudy like Leandro or de Jong.

I don't see the point in keeping Defoe because even as 3rd choice - he's just not capable of stepping in and playing that role. In the event of both Ade and young Ade being injured, we'd probably be better going Spain with Rafa and Sig as false 9s.

We don't have Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Silva and Alonso to break teams down.

Please no more false 9s in football!

What are the chances of VDV being sold? I dont wanna sell him but the problem is where does he play n fit in to the team assuming a 443.

I think Defoe could do a decent job as a left sided wing forward. He is a good dribbler, has a bit of pace, can work space for a shot and would be effective at cutting inside and hitting a long shot. There'd be less of a worry of him panicking and blasting the ball straight at the keeper if he's in a wider position.

Wouldn't start ahead of Bale of course, but could be rotated for sure.

Back