• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Out of interest - do you think that buying two strikers and only having two strikers on the book is enough?

I wouldnt even be happy with just Ade and Defoe as our strikers. Im looking for three strikers on our books. Two top quality strikers and Defoe.

can't see Defoe being happy with that kind of situation (especially if we play just the one forward most of the time)

i don't really rate Defoe that much (at this level) but i like him as a person and i think it's be best for him to go to a team where he will be first choice - at 29 (?) he has spent far too much of his career as second choice, imo

Out of interest - do you think that buying two strikers and only having two strikers on the book is enough?

I wouldnt even be happy with just Ade and Defoe as our strikers. Im looking for three strikers on our books. Two top quality strikers and Defoe.

Last season AVB started with Drogba, Torres, Anelka and Lukaku at Chelsea. Anelka was then sent to the reserves and Lukaku still didn't get games.

When playing with a lone striker and sticking to that just about always without changing it often it's very tough to give enough games to more than two strikers. If there is a third striker it should be someone young that will be reasonably happy sitting on the bench for a season or one or more of the strikers should be able to fill one of the wide positions. If we buy two top quality strikers and keep Defoe I think he will be very unhappy by October and wishing to get out by November.

I don't really know Portuguese football that well, this Moutinho fella' an adequate replacement IF Modders leaves?

Depends how you define adequate. He's a hard working player and holds his own but also has good quality on the ball ... though ultimately not as good as Luka. Imagine a Sandro-Parker midfield and a Sandro-Modric, well a Sandro-Moutinho midfield is somewhere inbetween those. At least Sandro will have someone that can understand him though so that's a plus.

Last season AVB started with Drogba, Torres, Anelka and Lukaku at Chelsea. Anelka was then sent to the reserves and Lukaku still didn't get games.

When playing with a lone striker and sticking to that just about always without changing it often it's very tough to give enough games to more than two strikers. If there is a third striker it should be someone young that will be reasonably happy sitting on the bench for a season or one or more of the strikers should be able to fill one of the wide positions. If we buy two top quality strikers and keep Defoe I think he will be very unhappy by October and wishing to get out by November.

They did not suffer from many injuries. Even if they had i guess Sturridge might still have been picked over Lukaku..

When I say strikers I mean a right wing forward. If you guys want us to battle on three fronts (no considering carling cup) then it is essential that there is a suitable Ade replacement (split the 60 games between them) and essentially a right wing forward - I love Lennon but we suffered without a suitable replacement for him.

Date: 10th July 2012
ITK: Ali Z
Player: Coaches & Ledley

He will announce his retirement in next 48 hours, will be part of our coaching team and will be doing his badges.

Re: Steffen Freund as assistant coach/manager
Will be confirmed as AM in next week, AVB's choice.

Who Phantom of the Lane
Date 10th July
Site COYS

Talks are underway and have been for a a number of days between Porto, JM and his Agent and DL and DE our end. Porto know his time is up and player ready to leave Portugal. AVB's number 1 target. Progress in motion. Hold caution on the responses and getting too excited but this move is underway.

POTL

I'm starting to think that POTL is in fact Harry. I really doubt that there could be two persons on this earth that could write so much, and make so little sence....

From the Goat over at SC:

Nothing earth-shattering but several things are getting much closer.

Moutinho is very close to being done and unless there's a major u-turn then he'll be replacing Modric. Lloris is also now very close and looks like it should happen. The reason Ade is so cheap is that Emirates Marketing Project are desperate to sell before RVP arrives. Finally, the Carvalho link is true (as a player, not as a coach).

Why?

Vertonghen
Dawson
Caulker
Gallas
Kaboul

Am I missing something here? Do we really need to sign a 34 year old central defender with those 4 defenders on our books?

Being linked with Phil Neville, Jonas Olsson, signing Nelsen, Saha, Crouch etc?

Oh youre chatting about rumours?

I was chatting about the football and well CL etc. my bad. I thought its what happens in season that mattered and not rumours etc. Hence im not excited and it has been premature. And im not a pessimist merely a realist.

Oh youre chatting about rumours?

I was chatting about the football and well CL etc. my bad. I thought its what happens in season that mattered and not rumours etc. Hence im not excited and it has been premature. And im not a pessimist merely a realist.

From a football standpoint, it has been brilliant, but you must get the sense of things are really STARTING to properly look up for us now, linked and buying better calibre players, the sort of players we've wanted to sign etc.

When I say strikers I mean a right wing forward. If you guys want us to battle on three fronts (no considering carling cup) then it is essential that there is a suitable Ade replacement (split the 60 games between them) and essentially a right wing forward - I love Lennon but we suffered without a suitable replacement for him.

Yes, someone who can cover multiple positions would be good. For out and out strikers though two seems like enough.

They did not suffer from many injuries. Even if they had i guess Sturridge might still have been picked over Lukaku..

They didn't and it's all a balancing act, but in the end most teams that play just one striker generally struggle to keep more than two senior strikers happy at the same time. Sturridge would be decent for that, but he wasn't happy playing on the right for Chelsea, don't think he would be for us either. Why I think someone like Ba might be a decent option.

Back