• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Definitely. Although with signing Sigurdsson on the cheap, it wouldn't surprise me if he's used the way Kranjcar was (not ENTIRELY but sub and occasional starts).

I am hoping however with AVB being that tactical guy who studies teams, he plays certain players against certain teams to really get at the oppositions weaknesses.

Unlike Kranjcar though, I wouldn't have thought VDV would be happy to play a bit-part role. He's very good, he knows he's very good, he has a fiery personality and wants to play all the time (even though his fitness isn't great) and coming towards the end of his career. If he is benched a lot I can only see him kicking up a fuss and disrupting the dressing room, in which case it would be better to just move him on, sad as it is.

Out of interest, why would Lyon sell us Lloris for so cheap? He's supposedly one of the best keepers about and their number 1, and Lyon are a big team, always in the Champions League. Can't see why they'd need/want to sell him for under £20mill?

Unlike Kranjcar though, I wouldn't have thought VDV would be happy to play a bit-part role. He's very good, he knows he's very good, he has a fiery personality and wants to play all the time (even though his fitness isn't great) and coming towards the end of his career. If he is benched a lot I can only see him kicking up a fuss and disrupting the dressing room, in which case it would be better to just move him on, sad as it is.

Why would VdV be a sub? Surely he'd be picked ahead of Sigurdsson?!?

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=49737&season_id=141

Look at post Jan, when he was moved out wider. I know it's *just* goals. Maybe it is an ACN hangover, too.

Assuming it's a 4-3-3 with Adebayor in the middle and Bale on the left, we should be looking at someone for the right that will assist and score to the same level as both of those (EA and GB). Ba, on this, with his ACN and injury threat does not fit the bill.

It is just goals and it is a relatively small sample. I think you could pick out similarly long stretches from this season where VdV only scored once or twice.

I watched quite a few of their games and I thought he looked very good also in that wide positions and we know he can score goals when he gets chances.

He can play multiple positions, that's a very good thing.

I agree about the injury issue and ACN like I said, but for 7 million it might be a good gamble anyway as many of the other players we are being linked with would cost twice that or more and are unproven in the Premiership.

[video=youtube;ea70hHctrl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea70hHctrl8[/video]

I know it's only Youtube but JM seems to have the pace and ability to really run at defenders and scare them. Looks like he can be much more direct and goal-threat if he needs to be, than Modric.

Maybe Modric has better awareness/passing range/positional sense or something, but Moutinho can also be the link man between defence and midfield like Luka...I think a motivated Moutinho under AVB and we won't be missing Modric at all.

Out of interest, why would Lyon sell us Lloris for so cheap? He's supposedly one of the best keepers about and their number 1, and Lyon are a big team, always in the Champions League. Can't see why they'd need/want to sell him for under £20mill?

To be fair Atletico sold De Gea for a reported +/- 18m and he was younger at the time - keepers hardly ever command massive fees (Buffon aside)

I'm hoping all the 'bit part' crap is finished with. And AVB makes use of the squad and rotates them around. So everyone gets games.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...-sign-for-tottenham-and-not-arsenal-according

Hugo Lloris wants to sign for Tottenham and not Arsenal according to French press

L'Equipe ran a story last week saying that Arsenal had made Hugo Lloris their priority ahead of next season.

Wojciech Szczęsny did make some mistakes last season and his rashness was displayed during Euro 2012 but he's very young and filled with talent, the fans favourite would be mystified if he suddenly found himself as an understudy to Lloris and it's hard to see him remaining at the club given that scenario. Lloris is only 25 and if Arsenal were to sign him then you'd expect he'd be their number one for the forseeable future, leaving the Polish goalkeeper in a difficult situation.

But today, L'Equipe say that it's Tottenham Hotspur who lead the race for the France captain and that the goalkeeper has given permission to Spurs to negotiate a transfer with Lyon. Lloris has a contract which runs until 2015 but Lyon missed out on Champions League football for next season and the goalkeeper has been the subject of transfer rumours more this year than in previous summers.

Lloris joined Lyon from Nice in 2008 and has been regarded as one of Europe's best young goalkeepers for some time. He won the Coup de France with the club last season but apart from that his time with them hasn't brought much success in terms of silverware, the last time they won the league was the year before they bought the goalkeeper.

Brad Friedal was Tottenham's number one last season but as the club look to build for the future under Andre Villas Boas then a younger custodian would be welcome.

L'Equipe claim Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has said he wants 20m for the player. The Tottenham links make more sense than the Arsenal ones did last last week.

It is just goals and it is a relatively small sample. I think you could pick out similarly long stretches from this season where VdV only scored once or twice.

I watched quite a few of their games and I thought he looked very good also in that wide positions and we know he can score goals when he gets chances.

He can play multiple positions, that's a very good thing.

I agree about the injury issue and ACN like I said, but for 7 million it might be a good gamble anyway as many of the other players we are being linked with would cost twice that or more and are unproven in the Premiership.
I wish they had stats for assists or whatever else there is.

I find 'unproven' a lazy argument. Berbatov wasn't until he came here, Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't until he went to Man Utd.. there are plenty of players out there that are good enough but don't qualify under that.

For this position I would want a left footed striker that is equally comfortable chasing the ball and running with it. The (easy) two that stick out are Sturridge and Hulk, but there must be others. Maybe Gio will get a look in?

Ba is obviously a good striker, no doubt. Good finishing, a problem for defenders. Just don't see him as a Spurs player, if that makes sense.

Football Juice @Football_Juice

Breaking News: Hugo Rodallega is in Liverpool today discussing personal with Everton. More as we get it
Sticking with Everton; Steven Pienaar was absent from Tottenham's training session today. Make of it what you will.

Agent_WHU @Agent_WHU

BREAKING: We are exceptionally close to agreeing a fee to sign a foreign striker. West Ham United FC continue to work hard to get deal done.

Lyon goalkeeper Hugo Lloris favours a move to Tottenham over Arsenal, according to reports in France.

Lloris, the France captain, had been expected to tie up a move to Arsenal after Lyon had expressed their willingness to cash in on the 25-year-old.

And reports in France last week indicated that Arsenal had reached an agreement with Lyon for the transfer of the highly-rated goalkeeper.

However, French newspaper L’Equipe claims Lloris has changed his mind after a conversation with new Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas, who has offered him assurances that he’ll have more playing time at White Hart Lane

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=49737&season_id=141

Look at post Jan, when he was moved out wider. I know it's *just* goals. Maybe it is an ACN hangover, too.

Assuming it's a 4-3-3 with Adebayor in the middle and Bale on the left, we should be looking at someone for the right that will assist and score to the same level as both of those (EA and GB). Ba, on this, with his ACN and injury threat does not fit the bill.

you have to consider that a 4-3-3 under AVB will function very differently than a 4-3-3 under Pardew, in an attacking sense i mean. Pardew and AVB have different footballing principles and if Ba played for AVB out wide in a 4-3-3 im sure he would be a lot more effective in terms of goals and assists than he was at Newcatle once Cisse arrived

Lyon goalkeeper Hugo Lloris favours a move to Tottenham over Arsenal, according to reports in France.

Lloris, the France captain, had been expected to tie up a move to Arsenal after Lyon had expressed their willingness to cash in on the 25-year-old.

And reports in France last week indicated that Arsenal had reached an agreement with Lyon for the transfer of the highly-rated goalkeeper.

However, French newspaper L’Equipe claims Lloris has changed his mind after a conversation with new Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas, who has offered him assurances that he’ll have more playing time at White Hart Lane

I still can't see Arsenal being interested in him. Sign him up Mr Levy.

Lequipe are reporting that Arsenal still havent decided if they want to buy him or not. They want to wait a bit before making a decision.

I wish they had stats for assists or whatever else there is.

I find 'unproven' a lazy argument. Berbatov wasn't until he came here, Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't until he went to Man Utd.. there are plenty of players out there that are good enough but don't qualify under that.

For this position I would want a left footed striker that is equally comfortable chasing the ball and running with it. The (easy) two that stick out are Sturridge and Hulk, but there must be others. Maybe Gio will get a look in?

Ba is obviously a good striker, no doubt. Good finishing, a problem for defenders. Just don't see him as a Spurs player, if that makes sense.

Listing two players that were unproven in the Premiership, but made it big is hardly a great argument either. So I list Postiga and Robinho, where does that leave us? I'm not saying that players that are unproven won't make it, just that there's a higher chance of a player that is proven will make it and that they are likely to adjust quicker. I see pretty much all transfers as a gamble and there are risks involved, with someone proven the risks go down a bit, it's not some be all end all argument to end all arguments. Just one more factor that should be looked at.

you have to consider that a 4-3-3 under AVB will function very differently than a 4-3-3 under Pardew, in an attacking sense i mean. Pardew and AVB have different footballing principles and if Ba played for AVB out wide in a 4-3-3 im sure he would be a lot more effective in terms of goals and assists than he was at Newcatle once Cisse arrived

I do realise that, but you saying you are sure is just as valid as me saying I am not. I gave examples of other types that would be better suited. Just don't think ba is suited.

Listing two players that were unproven in the Premiership, but made it big is hardly a great argument either. So I list Postiga and Robinho, where does that leave us? I'm not saying that players that are unproven won't make it, just that there's a higher chance of a player that is proven will make it and that they are likely to adjust quicker. I see pretty much all transfers as a gamble and there are risks involved, with someone proven the risks go down a bit, it's not some be all end all argument to end all arguments. Just one more factor that should be looked at.
Of course. But this 'for the price...' stuff shouldn't be the priority, there is a world of players out there and we don't have to limit ourselves to Prem players. This isn't Redknapp's Spurs any more. We can look for the ideal fit, I don't think it is Ba.

Back