• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

..................Ade
........Bale..............Willian
..................VDV
......Dembele..........Sandro

BAE....Verts....Kaboul.....Walker

...............Lloris

That team gives me a boner. Although i could see a few hairy moments at the back too ! :)

Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

..................Ade
..................VDV

...............Lloris

That team gives me a boner. Although i could see a few hairy moments at the back too ! :)

like rolling / passing the ball out to players that arent that technically great and not that good in passing and moving with cofidence? yeah i can imagine

I think Moutinho is the one AVB really wants and I think Levy will ultimately back him on it. My reading is the Levy is suggesting Dembele and M'Villa as cheaper alternatives, but AVB doesn't rate Dembele (like Sahin) and thinks M'Villa is too similar to Sandro.

No way Dembele would get in the team over Rafa or Sig IMO.

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Ekotto
Moutinho Sandro Sig
Willian Adebayor Bale​

maybe?

this team with Dembele and Damiao or Llorente starting and Ade and Siggy on the bench would be brilliant. :) fantasy football eh?

..................Ade
..................VDV

...............Lloris

We could do so much better than Willian. He looks like a typical winger who lays better on the left when cutting inside. We should be replacing Lennon with a goalscoring type attacking mid/forward type player. Obviously there are exceptions like Affelay and Dzagoev ( who I believe is going to be an immense player) but Willian? Meh.

this team with Dembele and Damiao or Llorente starting and Ade and Siggy on the bench would be brilliant. :) fantasy football eh?

Wold never have the overrated Damiao infront of Ade.

I do hope Lloris decides to come as if he rejects us we have lost our chance of a real world class keeper with Julio Cesar all but a QPR player.

The Journalist said:
Hugo Lloris – never in doubt, should be first through the door; there were only 2 clubs ever interested in him from day one. The other being AC Milan. The player did not want to go to Italy and Arsenal never made contact with his club. This info didn’t come from Tottenham source.
Like I said yesterday talking to lots of players and lots of things that complicate certain deals.
Moutinho is still number one choice and I expect a final day take it or leave it offer. This will delay other potential deals.
There are 5 clubs talking to Dembele. Three in England (including Spurs), one in France and one in Italy. Timing is the key because Martin Jol will not sell unless it’s sorted out soon.
M’Vila; simple battle of the North London clubs. Tottenham have offered more money. Two months ago if you’d have asked me I’d have said he is nailed on to be an Arsenal player. Again it will all depend on timing but now personal opinion is you have got it.
Willian; I could have and should have told you yesterday Levy’s opening offer but to be fair it was actually slightly lower than what I was told. Completely miles out on valuation and can tell you how baffled, annoyed and surprised the Shaktar board were. The player is in England but that means nothing. Talks on going but just got a feeling that this is the sort of deal where another club could come in quick and hijack the player.
Afellay; I can tell you Harry wanted him. I’ve not heard of any discussions this time round. But if it’s a loan deal like discussed last time it could be done quick.
Bojan; deal very complicated and I don’t know where he ranks but Tottenham made what can be described as polite enquiries last week.
To reiterate what I’ve said before Tottenham have been asked to be informed of any bids for Redmond. AVB is a fan.
I’m also led to believe that Tottenham are in talks with Benfica. The problem is I genuinely don’t know who about.
There are lots of clubs interested in your players including one club I know personally; I’come back later to tell what I know

Last edited:

because hopefully i know that football is longer than that and its all about the mindset and skill set of the your ENTIRE team to have something so radically improve like kicking the ball long or passing it out (basically setting up your play from the goal keeper / defender)

friedel has been playing football for like 30 years , you really think he is that stupid that he cant see there is a problem with playing a long ball to defoe? come on. and the wierd thing is that every single manager and every single team kicks long that tottenham have had recently. the only guy who initially tried to pass it out too much but 'learnt his lesson' was Gomez

passing is just a bonus for a keeper..., thats not what they are there for i would have thought.....if you can get a passing keeper...ala vorm or reina then great...next step? you need defender that are all comfortable on the ball, technically sound, composed and tactically aware....next step? you need your mid fielders to have all those qualities the defenders have to a higher degree but also to have good movement.....

you're obviously seeing top teams do this and think "we should be doing that" and then throwing rocks at the people you dont like for whatever reason and laying the blame at their feet

basically your whole team needs to be in sync , especially defense to midfield, but somehow you keep putting the blame on individuals like if you change them then the whole team will be able to pass the ball out of defense comfortably

actually add swansea to the list of teams that pass out....and even they have to go long when you press them

on a side note, i think Verty is a good acquisition for that you are looking for but he isnt enough.

Agree african. There is no way this can be put down to Friedel who appears to have become a spacegoat at 41. I asked similar questions last year when we let in 8 goals in the opening two games. He won me over and he's still fantastic imo. I have major reservations with Lloris regarding his ability to come for crosses.

Good point also on having an entire team comfortable in possession. I certainly felt we had that when we won 9 of 11 matches last year. Every player was comfortable on the ball and it wasn't just that passes were finding their targets, it was the weight of the pass which enabled the receiving player to look up early for the next pass. Consequently we were very slick and fast in our attacking movements - a well oiled machine.
I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a CM who can carry this on. M'Vila sounds a defensive player and we'd be changing our style unnecessarily. Major surgery shouldn't be required on this team.

The thing is Friedels kicking is pretty woeful. He has no pace on his kicks so they just float in the air and defenders gobble them up. It's as though he can't kick far either. Never liked his kicking or his distribution

That said he had a great season last season I thought

Last edited:

because hopefully i know that football is longer than that and its all about the mindset and skill set of the your ENTIRE team to have something so radically improve like kicking the ball long or passing it out (basically setting up your play from the goal keeper / defender)

friedel has been playing football for like 30 years , you really think he is that stupid that he cant see there is a problem with playing a long ball to defoe? come on. and the wierd thing is that every single manager and every single team kicks long that tottenham have had recently. the only guy who initially tried to pass it out too much but 'learnt his lesson' was Gomez

passing is just a bonus for a keeper..., thats not what they are there for i would have thought.....if you can get a passing keeper...ala vorm or reina then great...next step? you need defender that are all comfortable on the ball, technically sound, composed and tactically aware....next step? you need your mid fielders to have all those qualities the defenders have to a higher degree but also to have good movement.....

you're obviously seeing top teams do this and think "we should be doing that" and then throwing rocks at the people you dont like for whatever reason and laying the blame at their feet

basically your whole team needs to be in sync , especially defense to midfield, but somehow you keep putting the blame on individuals like if you change them then the whole team will be able to pass the ball out of defense comfortably

actually add swansea to the list of teams that pass out....and even they have to go long when you press them

on a side note, i think Verty is a good acquisition for that you are looking for but he isnt enough.

I fully understand that getting to a point where we always play from the back will take time. What I can't understand is the regular occurence of Friedel having the ball, a free defender screaming for the ball, our manager and other defenders pointing at the free defender and shouting, and Friedel looking at them then turning around and hoofing the ball to Defoe.

Equally, Gallas has a lot to learn here too. When Walker hoofed the ball leading to Saudi Sportswashing Machine scoring the other weekend, Gallas had a lot of space to run into where he could have received an easy pass and turned to Friedel and layed it off. Instead, he stands a yard forward of Walker pointing to the far end of the pitch in a "get rid" motion - utter madness.

Yes. The entire team, I agree completely. That's including the goalkeeper, clearly. Gomes was never any good with the ball at his feet, that's one of his clearest weaknesses, he struggled to get past the half way line with some of his kicks, his touch was poor even for a goalie and his shorter passes were inaccurate. Friedel is better, but still far from even being good with the ball at his feet, never mind great.

We'll see who AVB keeps bringing in, but with Vertonghen we've taken a step in the right direction. We now have him and Ekotto who are very comfortable on the ball in the backline, Kaboul who does alright and Walker who really needs to improve, but he's young so hopefully he can. We haven't brought in any central midfielders yet (imo), we'll see, I'm guessing if we sign some they will be very good on the ball. Can't expect AVB to change everything straight away and he shouldn't, but if we do sign a goalkeeper either now or in the next year who's great on the ball then at least that's another step in (what I think is) the right direction.

Did you read the interviews with Rodgers last season about how much work they put into finding the right goalkeeper for them, having the right goalkeeper was a key aspect of making their style work?

Swansea do go long when you press them enough, key word being enough. Last season teams were generally able to force us into long balls while only committing two players high up the pitch, leaving their two banks of four organized and in place. That means that our long balls were less likely to succeed when we were forced to play them, or rather even less likely to succeed as we weren't0 any good at them even at the best of times. If the opponents have to commit 3-4 players to force us into long balls we will have more room to utilize when we do play it long and they will be disorganized when we actually manage to play through their pressure, and that will happen sometimes.

The thing is Friedels kicking is pretty woeful. He has no pace on his kicks so they just float in the air and defenders gobble them up. It's as though he can't kick far either. Never liked his kicking or his distribution

That said he had a great season last season I thought

One of the great strengths of Paul Robinson's game was his distribution - we've been missing it ever since we let him go.

Yes. The entire team, I agree completely. That's including the goalkeeper, clearly. Gomes was never any good with the ball at his feet, that's one of his clearest weaknesses, he struggled to get past the half way line with some of his kicks, his touch was poor even for a goalie and his shorter passes were inaccurate. Friedel is better, but still far from even being good with the ball at his feet, never mind great.

We'll see who AVB keeps bringing in, but with Vertonghen we've taken a step in the right direction. We now have him and Ekotto who are very comfortable on the ball in the backline, Kaboul who does alright and Walker who really needs to improve, but he's young so hopefully he can. We haven't brought in any central midfielders yet (imo), we'll see, I'm guessing if we sign some they will be very good on the ball. Can't expect AVB to change everything straight away and he shouldn't, but if we do sign a goalkeeper either now or in the next year who's great on the ball then at least that's another step in (what I think is) the right direction.

Did you read the interviews with Rodgers last season about how much work they put into finding the right goalkeeper for them, having the right goalkeeper was a key aspect of making their style work?

Swansea do go long when you press them enough, key word being enough. Last season teams were generally able to force us into long balls while only committing two players high up the pitch, leaving their two banks of four organized and in place. That means that our long balls were less likely to succeed when we were forced to play them, or rather even less likely to succeed as we weren't0 any good at them even at the best of times. If the opponents have to commit 3-4 players to force us into long balls we will have more room to utilize when we do play it long and they will be disorganized when we actually manage to play through their pressure, and that will happen sometimes.

^Good post

Gomes did have a fantastic and accurate long throw though which he could get well over the halfway line.

If we get William I wonder if we may see a return of the wonky formation in some games.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Old Man Friedel there fella. Don't think there's any argument as to the limitations to his game. He's always stuck to his line (or spot, as in WBA's equaliser last week), but to accuse him of having a bad attitude is off the mark, especially when compared to your usual money-grabbing football-playing bastard, some of whom used to play for this club.

Brad was a huge stabilising influence in defence last season and a big improvement on Poor, Crazy Gomes. Despite all this, he is gracious enough to realise that (a) he may have to step aside to make way for a younger, more athletic keeper this season, but is also (b) happy to stay as second string for the benefit of the club. Even (a), let alone (b) is the definition of class if you ask me.

Also, I think the G key might be stuck on your keyboard. Might want to give it a quick scrub for biscuit residue or summat.

maybe you want to re read and reply to actually what I wrote. it seems you were a little excited to post.

Oooops i seemed to have stumbled into the Goalkeeper thread.

Back