• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

Modric was generally considered an attacking player but often sat alongside Parker or sandro as a duo with VDV in from of them. If AVB wants to go with Sandro + Livermore/Parker/MVila (2 dms) it just doesn't feel as attacking. I loved our balance with Luka playing in our 4-2-3-1.

Can Dembele play in that Luka role? Interesting to know AVB's thinking

Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

With Modric going, Dembele would be perfect for us. Did you see his performance against united at OT?

So it could well be

Dembele Sandro
Lennon/Willian Gylfi/Vdv Bale
Adebayor

I reckon so. I'd be very happy with that too. Dembele is very good and I think him and Sandro would do very very well in the middle of the park. Willian provides cover for Lennon and Bale and of course we have the cover with Gylfi and VDV.

Only cover properly missing is Adebayor if Togo qualify for ACN or he gets injured.

I reckon so. I'd be very happy with that too. Dembele is very good and I think him and Sandro would do very very well in the middle of the park. Willian provides cover for Lennon and Bale and of course we have the cover with Gylfi and VDV.

Only cover properly missing is Adebayor if Togo qualify for ACN or he gets injured.

The signings of Dembele and Willian would set us up really nicely - The issue around Adebayor is a very real problem, I would however expect that if we signed Lloris, Willian and Dembele that we would have enough left overall in the pot to sign a forward of some ilk in the January transfer window which would help alleviate the problem surrounding Adebayor.

this...

morrisson's goal was partly due to luck and partly due to a very static defence that stood lilke a wall of players waiting to block, not attack, the shot. maybe the penalty decision against us last match had something to do with the players' pshyche.

however there was once or twice where the ball was lobbed back into our defence - before morrisson's goal - and I felt Brad should have claimed those instead of leaving it to our defender. (can he jump anymore?).

to be fair, he did go down low fully stretched for a save (lukaku?) ... that was a very good save indeed.

to me friedel's anxiety had something to do with the increasingly disorganized defence in front of him after lukaku came about. it also coincided with gallas having lost his legs, and a frenetic verts compensating all over the place. if brad has to go, gallas too... don't see any keeper staying calm if our CB's can't.

Mate,

I think the fact we changed shape and Lukaku forced us to defend the penalty box as opposed to hold a high-line, was what caused an increasing lack of possession second-half. Clark made good subs whereas AVB should not have taken off Sandro or VdV or brought on Jenas IMHO. Given that this DID happen, his instruction to Bale should've been to absolutely hold shape and stick to the left!!!! Thus Benny wouldn't be left solo, and the knock-on effect of such things would not have happened.

Someone made the point that this would've been a fine match to have The Hudd on the bench to come on, and I agree.
It was when we were forced to abandon the high-line that our problems really started IMHO...

GB I can't see us getting Moutinho.

I think the next signing will be Willian (if reports of levy flying to Ukraine are true), then Lloris and IF there is time, there will be a late push for Dembele.

GG's Man in Moscow has journeyed across The Breadbasket of Europe and files this exclusive image from Donetsk:

Levy on the Tarmac 01.jpg

Liverpool want Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge and will sell midfielders Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing to raise the funds to buy him.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole could be set for a shock return to West Ham before the end of the transfer window.
Full story: talkSPORT

Emirates Marketing Project are closing in on Fiorentina's 19-year-old Serbia defender Matija Nastasic, with Montenegro defender Stefan Savic - plus cash - going the other way.
Full story: Gazetta dello Sport

QPR are set to complete the signing of Brazilian goalkeeper Julio Cesar from Inter Milan.
Full story: Daily Mail

Tottenham hope to complete the triple signing of Moussa Dembele from Fulham, Lyon goalkeeper Hugo Lloris and Shakhtar Donetsk striker Willian.
Full story: The Times (subscription only)

Genk's 21-year-old international striker Christian Benteke has emerged as a leading target for Aston Villa.
Full story: Birmingham Mail

Sunderland are hopeful of beating Liverpool to the signing of striker Clint Dempsey after opening talks with Fulham over a transfer.
Full story: Metro

Barcelona will this week sanction the loan departure of dutch winger Ibrahim Afellay, with Arsenal and Tottenham interested.

Everton have made an enquiry for Dundee United's highly-rated 22-year-old forward Johnny Russell.
Full story: SkySports

OTHER GOSSIP

Tottenham's new partnership with Real Madrid will require managers Andre Villas-Boas and Jose Mourinho to work together just years after they had a spectacular falling-out.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Lucas Leiva hobbled off in the opening minutes of Liverpool's 2-2 draw with Emirates Marketing Project
Liverpool fear Brazilian midfielder Lucas Leiva, who missed six months of last season with a cruciate knee ligament injury, could be out for two months with a thigh injury.
Full story: Guardian

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has banned the club's young stars from driving sports cars from new sponsors Chevrolet.
Full story: Daily Mail

AND FINALLY

US television channel Fox, which is making a documentary about Liverpool, have released a sneak preview of the programme in which 17-year-old Raheem Sterling receives a dressing down from manager Brendan Rodgers.
Full story: Daily Telegraph

So it could well be

Dembele Sandro
Lennon/Willian Gylfi/Vdv Bale
Adebayor

That will be how we line up if we get those 2 players imo but i actually don't think we'll get Willian. Levy imo will not fork out £20 plus mill on him.

Dembele on the other hand i can see happening. He's an immense player too so i'd be happy with that.

Thanks for the compilation, Yiddo. This item doesn't require much reading:

Barcelona will this week sanction the loan departure of dutch winger Ibrahim Afellay, with Arsenal and Tottenham interested.

Not when we're Real's new pals and Arsenal might as well be called Barcenal.

I think we will go french and get M'vila and Loris, both are quality.

Dembele would also be good if we could tempt, Jol with Jenas and Bentley, although rumor has it, Big Mart wants Defoe instead.

I feel we should be looking to avoid Willian because of the asking price and Afellay because he's average.

GB I can't see us getting Moutinho.

I think the next signing will be Willian (if reports of levy flying to Ukraine are true), then Lloris and IF there is time, there will be a late push for Dembele.

Of course my fear is we will not be rash with fees and wages and hence negotiations will push it right down to the wire meaning maybe we will not be able to get all our business done.

Vertonghen, Ade,Gylfi, Willian, Dembele and Lloris would have to be a very successful transfer window even with the loss of Luka.

How would we line up?

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Ekotto
Dembele Sandro Willian
Lennon Adebayor Bale
??

I think Moutinho is the one AVB really wants and I think Levy will ultimately back him on it. My reading is the Levy is suggesting Dembele and M'Villa as cheaper alternatives, but AVB doesn't rate Dembele (like Sahin) and thinks M'Villa is too similar to Sandro.

No way Dembele would get in the team over Rafa or Sig IMO.

Lloris
Moutinho Sandro Sig
Willian Adebayor Bale​

maybe?

4 days to go

Owen is still waiting at the airport

I think Moutinho is the one AVB really wants and I think Levy will ultimately back him on it. My reading is the Levy is suggesting Dembele and M'Villa as cheaper alternatives, but AVB doesn't rate Dembele (like Sahin) and thinkg M'Villa is too similar to Sandro.

No way Dembele would get in the team over Rafa or Sig IMO.

Lloris
Moutinho Sandro Sig
Willian Adebayor Bale​

maybe?

I agree, has the feeling of a deadline day special with Moutinho, Willian and Loris...ultimately I think Moutinho represents so much more than just a player needed, he is a talisman for AVB...

I agree, has the feeling of a deadline day special with Moutinho, Willian and Loris...ultimately I think Moutinho represents so much more than just a player needed, he is a talisman for AVB...

And that would leave us with a fantastic squad (considering Rafa, Lennon, Parker, Gallas and Friedel would be on the bench), other than having no cover for Ade.

and when the new keeper come in and kicks it long? will you blame him or AVB or the defenders?

What makes you think he won't do the obvious thing and pass/roll the ball to our defenders?

What makes you think he won't do the obvious thing and pass/roll the ball to our defenders?

because hopefully i know that football is longer than that and its all about the mindset and skill set of the your ENTIRE team to have something so radically improve like kicking the ball long or passing it out (basically setting up your play from the goal keeper / defender)

friedel has been playing football for like 30 years , you really think he is that stupid that he cant see there is a problem with playing a long ball to defoe? come on. and the wierd thing is that every single manager and every single team kicks long that tottenham have had recently. the only guy who initially tried to pass it out too much but 'learnt his lesson' was Gomez

passing is just a bonus for a keeper..., thats not what they are there for i would have thought.....if you can get a passing keeper...ala vorm or reina then great...next step? you need defender that are all comfortable on the ball, technically sound, composed and tactically aware....next step? you need your mid fielders to have all those qualities the defenders have to a higher degree but also to have good movement.....

you're obviously seeing top teams do this and think "we should be doing that" and then throwing rocks at the people you dont like for whatever reason and laying the blame at their feet

basically your whole team needs to be in sync , especially defense to midfield, but somehow you keep putting the blame on individuals like if you change them then the whole team will be able to pass the ball out of defense comfortably

actually add swansea to the list of teams that pass out....and even they have to go long when you press them

on a side note, i think Verty is a good acquisition for that you are looking for but he isnt enough.

Last edited:

If we get Dembele with Jenas going the other way would anyone else feel a bit sorry for Fulham? They are an ok club, haven't really done anything to us and are managed by a popular ex manager.

We'd be taking one of their best players thus weakening them and giving them Jenas, weakening them further. I'm not sure they deserve that.

Back