• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

I think all our best guys are busy on the Jenas move at the minute ;)

Edit: I think GDS will stay til Jan, not sure how much impact if any he'll have though

Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

Dave Goddard ‏@DaveGoddard1971

#MUFC have accepted a bid from Fiorentina for Berbatov. Up to the player now.

@BackPage: Tottenham have opened talks with CSKA Moscow over the £20m signing of Alan Dzagoev?

@SnowHH: @theSPURSinsider as per information from an HSV insider, VDV already declared for the medical check in Hamburg... without guarantee.

Not really sure what this means!?

@SnowHH: @theSPURSinsider as per information from an HSV insider, VDV already declared for the medical check in Hamburg... without guarantee.

Not really sure what this means!?

Nothing most likely - VdV is hopefully staying

@Akqayid: Deadwood is now flying out the door. Lovely!

followed by:

@Akqayid: West Ham, Sunderland, Villa, Fulham and 2/3 abroad all interested in at least paid for loan deals.

I think we will go french and get M'vila and Loris, both are quality.

Dembele would also be good if we could tempt, Jol with Jenas and Bentley, although rumor has it, Big Mart wants Defoe instead.

I feel we should be looking to avoid Willian because of the asking price and Afellay because he's average.

Dembele to Spurs and Hudd to Fulham on a season long loan, sounds reasonable to me. NITK. Defoe only if we have someone else lined up as I think he's a square hole in the land of round pegs.

I agree on Affelay. He's is pretty decent but might struggle to oust one of our starters, though when you think of that is perfect as he'll be a squad rotatenator probably. Not paying big bucks for Willian means we could save some cash for someone else....cough... Llorente.

Agree african. There is no way this can be put down to Friedel who appears to have become a spacegoat at 41. I asked similar questions last year when we let in 8 goals in the opening two games. He won me over and he's still fantastic imo. I have major reservations with Lloris regarding his ability to come for crosses.

Good point also on having an entire team comfortable in possession. I certainly felt we had that when we won 9 of 11 matches last year. Every player was comfortable on the ball and it wasn't just that passes were finding their targets, it was the weight of the pass which enabled the receiving player to look up early for the next pass. Consequently we were very slick and fast in our attacking movements - a well oiled machine.
I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a CM who can carry this on. M'Vila sounds a defensive player and we'd be changing our style unnecessarily. Major surgery shouldn't be required on this team.

It's alarming to me that making observations about Friedel should cause so much consternation and lead to him being called a 'spacegoat'...but anyway...I agree, this team does not need major surgery providing AVB gets EXACTLY who he wants to replace Modric...we are all about to discover life in a post-Modric/Spurs world. He is a fantastic player, and anyone who thinks we won't miss him is about to learn a hard lesson IMHO. Again, I only hope AVB gets exactly who he wants (I'm guessing Moutinho)...

im thinking AVB will give him a chance, at least until january..

Gio is out of contract next summer, so can sign a pre-contract with a foreign club in January.

Unless we have one of our +2s we can enforce, it's now or never in terms of getting a fee for him.

It's alarming to me that making observations about Friedel should cause so much consternation and lead to him being called a 'spacegoat'...but anyway...I agree, this team does not need major surgery providing AVB gets EXACTLY who he wants to replace Modric...we are all about to discover life in a post-Modric/Spurs world. He is a fantastic player, and anyone who thinks we won't miss him is about to learn a hard lesson IMHO. Again, I only hope AVB gets exactly who he wants (I'm guessing Moutinho)...

I don't think replacing Friedel is going to wave a magic wand. I saw you were highly critical of the goal he conceded on Saturday. Agree 100% he could've dealt with the cross when Gallas ended up heading off the line but there's no way he could've got down to the shot from Morrison. It was from the penalty spot and he side footed it right into the corner. By that measurement he should also save all penalties?! He also made two fantastic saves earlier on to keep us in front. I think LLoris will be equally susceptible from crosses...in which case we've paid £15m for a goalkeeper with better 'feet'!

I can see why Friedel is questionable based on age etc...I thought the same thing last year. But I really don't think he will decline to such an extent in 12 months. He's fine to me, did a very good job last year and I can only see him doing the same again this year. One thing massively underestimated about him is his calmness. He doesn't get overhyped or excited - he treats every match like its a training session which enables him to perform at his very best. Gomes' achilles heel was getting too stressed in games and caused him to flap at crosses or make errors of judgements...a real shame because ability-wise he's right up there with the very best.

I don't think replacing Friedel is going to wave a magic wand. I saw you were highly critical of the goal he conceded on Saturday. Agree 100% he could've dealt with the cross when Gallas ended up heading off the line but there's no way he could've got down to the shot from Morrison. It was from the penalty spot and he side footed it right into the corner. By that measurement he should also save all penalties?! He also made two fantastic saves earlier on to keep us in front. I think LLoris will be equally susceptible from crosses...in which case we've paid £15m for a goalkeeper with better 'feet'!

I don't know if this was mentioned in the OMT but IMO Gallas should take some part of the blame for the goal. After heading away he stopped to rant.

It's a bit of surgery, but necessary.

King retired so Verts came in.
Sig replaced Krancjar.
Ade has become permanent.
Moutinho (or plan b i.e. Dembele or M'Villa) will replace Modric.

That's all like-for-like and essential (other than Sig maybe).

Of the others Friedel is creaking and does need to be replaced and all last season people were crying out for cover/competition for Bale and Lennon (Willian) and Ade (Leandro).

AVB inherited a squad with a lot of holes, and a lot of players on their last legs (King, Saha, Nelsen, Friedel, Cudicini, Gallas and Parker).

Hopefully after this big initial blast, things will settle down and we can grow more organically.

Parker should be good for one more season if not two. One of the fittest we had last season bar injuries.
but agree with your post otherwise

I think the big surprise will come from Emirates Marketing Project.

Parker should be good for one more season if not two. One of the fittest we had last season bar injuries.
but agree with your post otherwise

I think the big surprise will come from Emirates Marketing Project.

what do you mean?

I don't know if this was mentioned in the OMT but IMO Gallas should take some part of the blame for the goal. After heading away he stopped to rant.
I saw that. He ranted a lot more after he was tired. At corners he was in front pointing to his back... Don't think anyone was listening!

Back