• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

Is there anything to suggest Wenger even wants him?

Seems he could have tied a deal up ages ago and back off...

Nothing certain that I know of, other than press articles over the past 12 (?) months or so. Obviously take any press article with a pinch of salt. Think he fits the type of players Levy is happy to invest in (just 22yo)

Re: 1060 pages and a striker, but 113 pages later no more Modric summer transfer thre

I think he's quite good yes, I think it can work quite well with him there under AVB. The main problem with him as a lone forward is that we lose just about every long ball we play. Under AVB I hope we will see more buildup from the back as soon as we get a (!#"¤&/%&"!%#¤&) playmaker in the squad and that will be less of a problem.

Sorry - but I think we must be talking about a different player here

He is absolutely terrible as the lone striker and his best games have always come longside another striker. He cannot hold up the ball, challenge for header, poor link-up play, ok first touch, easily pushed off the ball, fairly greedy - always looks to shot first, etc.

He's a poacher who wroks optimally in a 4-4-2, off the sweeper's shoulder running onto through balls and blasting as hard as he can (his shooting technique is fairly limited in fact - built around 'drivers' with very little variety beyond that.

He CANNOT and will not ever work in AVB's 4-4-2 - no enough strength, skill, aerial ability, link up play and technical versatility

Nothing certain that I know of, other than press articles over the past 12 (?) months or so. Obviously take any press article with a pinch of salt. Think he fits the type of players Levy is happy to invest in (just 22yo)

I agree he fits Levys strategy, I just am not sure about this idea of us beating Wenger to him.

It seems Wenger all but had him, then decided against it...

Based upon his performance Saturday I strongly disagree braineclipse. He was completely lost and ineffectual in the whole game, despite a clear rule on keeping the ball down...

Agree to disagree and all that...

My main point was still that if we sign another top class forward it should (imo) be to replace Defoe, not to add to our current strike force.

Sorry - but I think we must be talking about a different player here

He is absolutely terrible as the lone forward and his best games have always come longside another striker. He cannot hold up the ball, challenge for headers, poor link-up play, ok first touch, easily pushed off the ball, fairly greedy - always looks to shot first, etc.

He's a poacher who works optimally in a 4-4-2, off the sweeper's shoulder running onto through balls and blasting as hard as he can (his shooting technique is fairly limited in fact - built around 'drivers' with very little variety beyond that.

He CANNOT and will not ever work in AVB's 4-3-3 - no enough strength, skill, aerial ability, link up play and technical versatility

I agree he fits Levys strategy, I just am not sure about this idea of us beating Wenger to him.

It seems Wenger all but had him, then decided against it...

Quite possibly. I did read he was put off by his 'attitude' problems but I really don't know how true that is. Whatever Wenger is up to he bought a good one in Carzorla, so maybe he just altered his priorities?

My main point was still that if we sign another top class forward it should (imo) be to replace Defoe, not to add to our current strike force.

He is redundant in this new system - he will never change nor should we expect him to. Can still do a decent job in a mid-table PL club who plays with a 'big man - small man' setup

As Arc points out, Defoe just isnt a lone striker player, its not his game in the slightest.

I think to play him there is to heavily compromise the system of play we appear to be aiming at.

I agree any new striker will replace him.

He is redundant in this new system - he will never change nor should we expect him to. Can still do a decent job in a mid-table PL club who plays with a 'big man - small man' setup

Im not sure thats entirely fair, if we were to persist with a 2 striker set up I would be very confident in him doing very well - and I imagine we see ourselves as some way better than mid table.

Yes - but AVB won't play that - so in a way Defoe would be 'wasted' - he's too old to adapt, nor should he do that

If Fulham or QPR are looking - he should really consider it for his career sake - he's never been happy as a squad player and it would be more of the same this season by the looks of things

I don't think it is any coincidence that AVB has held a number of meetings with Defoe and his agent in recent times.

DirectionFOOT @DirectionFOOT
Jean-Michel Aulas: "Nous avons eu des contacts avec Tottenham depuis hier. Maintenant, c'est Hugo qui a la clé".#OL#THFC

"We have had contact with Tottenham yesterday. Now, Hugo has the key"

Love to see Lloris sign, actually think a keeper is just as vital to AVB system as any other position

We've had contact all season - obviously our bid was too low

Please, Daniel - we need a keeper who moves off his line and is not about to draw his pension!

Love to see Lloris sign, actually think a keeper is just as vital to AVB system as any other position

Ive long held the view that a new keeper (while nice to have) is not the highest priority. After Saturday Im swaying on that, Friedel looked really uncomfortable

I see Nani wasn't in Utd's squad on Saturday - still think he might be off

If only

Back