• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The 1060 pages and finally a striker summer transfer thread

Am I the only one that would take Nani from United for £15m or are there others that would want him if the rumours are true. Fcuk hes annoying and a taco, but most footballers are. Id take him in a heartbeat as a replacement for Lennon!

Not sure, he can be brilliant on his day but I wonder if he flatters to deceive too often? But that said as a replacement for Lennon probably a step up.

Having just seen Cazorla interviewed on Sky -he talks about having the freedom to play in the space between forwards and midfield, and contributing with "decisive passes" and goals. We could do with some of that decisive passing (and the goals, obviously).

Isn't that the point of buying William?

Willian is a winger, not sure in his assist stats but he isn't a big goal scorer, same as Lennon really.

I would have though Mouthino be the option as a Modric replacement, but likely out of our price range.

Well, the Modric money pays for Moutinho, but it's a matter of how much time will we have to do both deals.

Isn't that the point of buying William?

I hope so, although I don't know much about Willian, so don't really know if he is a Cazorla type player, which I do think we need (and I'm not sure that is quite the same as a Modric type player).

Am I the only one that would take Nani from United for £15m or are there others that would want him if the rumours are true. Fcuk hes annoying and a taco, but most footballers are. Id take him in a heartbeat as a replacement for Lennon!

Not at all, would snap him up in a shot

im hoping AVB's Portugal link with Nani means we are in for him and Moutinho. Id be happy with that. Want another striker too but think with the Modric money and other sales we can do Nani and Moutinho

Even if we could afford his fee and wages, do you really think Nani would join us?

ithink it highlights the need to reach in order to show that a point is still relevant when its been diminshed, at least a little bit

fact of the matter is that NONE of those guys are remotely close to the creativity of modric even in their prime. sure they knew how to pass the ball and get it into areas but creativity ..which is the life blood of peoples reasoning towards a stagnant approach after 2 first halfs...is NOT really necessarily the issue

agreed on makelele....but still was not creative and still was not the guy that make plays. what he does parker can do well enough , NOT nearly as good , but well enough for what we need...and so can sandro actually

drogba is a good point...but ade is not as good but he is good enough for a good season. we dont need the greatest ever players in premiership history to have a decent season. Not to mention that long balls is something that people here hate and are using to validate our guards being sold / sacked.

there is nothing to moan about here, our people just need to get their act together. we have a good squad and a very strong first 11. we have had 2 unfortunate results..the world isnt ending. we dont 'NEED' all these top class players for all these positions

I agree, not anywhere near as creative as Modric. Problem is, right now we don't have Modric available to us. We don't need someone as good or creative as Modric, I haven't seen anyone claim that we do. What I and others have claimed is that we need someone more creative than Sandro, Parker, Livermore and Jenas, and that we (again imo) need two players like that if we sell Modic and ship Hudd out on loan.

Yes, Sandro or Parker could do a job similar to what Makelele did. The key word being 'or'.

I actually find "creative" a bit nebulous and often try to avoid using it, I prefer something like "purposeful passing" or "skills on the ball" to be more specific about what I think we need.

Yesterday against WBA we needed someone to take control of the ball so that we could keep possession for longer periods in the last 10 minutes instead of being put under such pressure. First of all you need players to make runs so that they can actually receive a pass, but after that there are many skills that can be used. If you see someone like Modric using an excellent first touch and a bit of dribbling skill to get away from pressure, or excellent reading of the game and accurate passing to find a team mate. Or if you have someone like Makele or Essien use their strength and balance (along with close control) to just keep the ball under pressure winning a free kick or keeping it until a team mate can get into a good position to receive it really isn't important. Similar points can be made about different skills when attacking against a well organized hard working side to break them down.

My opinion hasn't been changed or formed by the last two games, I said in this thread and/or another thread before the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game (that was before signing Ade) that I was more worried about central midfield than our strikers. I try not to moan, but I really think our on the ball skill in central midfield is shocking when you don't include Modric and Hudd who both seem likely to not be around at the end of the window and haven't been in contention for our opening games.

Forget Nani, his wage demands are a good 50k over our limit.

Buy Jack Butland, Wilfried Zaha, Iker Muniain, Rodrigo Moreno, Jese Rodríguez

Back