• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The 1060 pages and finally a striker summer transfer thread

Axel Witsel: I'll admit up front that I have not seen him so much, very little to be honest! Could he be a player who takes over from Modric, he could be a little cheaper than some other allternativ, or?

I'd rather get Dembele, admittedly I don't know a great deal about Witsel.

Witsel's agent has been trying to get him a move somewhere , but don't think he'll be cheap. £31 million was quoted in an article earlier this summer.

Witsel's agent has been trying to get him a move somewhere , but don't think he'll be cheap. £31 million was quoted in an article earlier this summer.

So definitift not cheaper then, but would he fit in as a replacement for Modric, if you know anything about him?

I reckon any chump can splurge £20m or £30m to buy talent.

I thought AVB and Freund and his other talent spotter would have more cunning targets.

Players we've probably not heard of, playing for lesser known clubs but actually extremely effective.

Not Messi, but brilliant at their particular job in a slick system.

So far it seems not though.

Sorry, don't know anything about him. Will just have to quote Wikipedia. Gets a few goals every season.

His natural position is centre midfield and can also play attacking midfielder, but he came into the first team as a right-winger.

I thought AVB and Freund and his other talent spotter would have more cunning targets.

Players we've probably not heard of, playing for lesser known clubs but actually extremely effective.

How do you know they are not? Everyone seems to be ITK in there own way.

The only thing I remember him for was snapping that Anderlecht player's leg like a twig.

Not sure if this has been posted but relates to the Willian transfer and the idea it is apparently close. Anyway Sergie Palkin (Shakhtar CEO) was interviewed recently (I believe was yesterday), here are his words:

Sergei Anatolyevich, a few days are left before the closure of the transfer window. Therefore, all the rumours that did not come true are blossoming again. Obviously, we could not miss the opportunity to ask you to shed light on them. In particular, Daily Mail reports that Shakhtar sells Willian to Tottenham for €25 million. Is it true? And what do you think about such information in the media?
- We have been holding negotiations with Tottenham for a long time. Much has already been said. As of now, we have only one official proposal from Tottenham – an offer worth €12 million to be paid in annual instalments. All other conversations that we are holding over the phone are a little unserious, because now they can say one thing and tomorrow another. The only offer we have on the table is the one I’ve mentioned above. So there is no point in talking about 20 or 25 million. Our position is 30 million. At the moment, no one has mentioned this sum via the phone or official correspondence. Therefore, our position remains the same as before, and it is difficult to add something.

http://shakhtar.com/en/news/23113

Not even going to comment because (if true) that offer is a joke.
it's not a joke he's out of contract isn't he? Or out of contract soon

How do you know they are not? Everyone seems to be ITK in there own way.

We will find out in the final week of the transfer window I guess. Ahead of the 3rd game of the PL season.

it's not a joke he's out of contract isn't he? Or out of contract soon

He isn't. Contract runs to 2014. They would not have turned down 20m bid from chelsea if his contract was ending 6mths later.

i'd rather a better more prepared pre-season than big-bargain-big-names. Nathan Dyer, Dembele, Sessegnon, (and up til yesterday) James Morrison etc.
we look so nonchalant in our preparation for the season, its hard to see beyond this season being anything but a transitional one. my fear is losing more of our best players by end of this one.

Longer term I quite expect this to be the way we try to operate, this summer though it was never going to be the case was it? New manager, quick assessment of the squad, euros out the way - need solid business to get up and running...

im hoping AVB's Portugal link with Nani means we are in for him and Moutinho. Id be happy with that. Want another striker too but think with the Modric money and other sales we can do Nani and Moutinho

Both would cost in excess of £20m. We wont be paying £20m+ for a player in this window

i'd rather a better more prepared pre-season than big-bargain-big-names. Nathan Dyer, Dembele, Sessegnon, (and up til yesterday) James Morrison etc.
we look so nonchalant in our preparation for the season, its hard to see beyond this season being anything but a transitional one. my fear is losing more of our best players by end of this one.

This.

The club is not managed properly.

I think added creativity would have been massive yesterday, but that said we still were plenty creative. I think Adebayor instead of Defoe would have made a huge change.

The Modric thing for me is 20% added creativity and 80% added possession and therefore rest.

I think with more sustained possession we would be even more impressive and less prone to tiring late in games...

Actually Parker would've made a massive difference yesterday. He's often criticised for playing sideways and backwards passes but he keeps possession very very well and takes the sting out of games. No fluke we won most games which we took the lead in last season with Parker starting. Also no fluke he was missing yesterday and against Norwich back at Easter when we looked wide open in the last 30 mins.

Actually Parker would've made a massive difference yesterday. He's often criticised for playing sideways and backwards passes but he keeps possession very very well and takes the sting out of games. No fluke we won most games which we took the lead in last season with Parker starting. Also no fluke he was missing yesterday and against Norwich back at Easter when we looked wide open in the last 30 mins.

I think both Sandro and Livermore were plenty capable of sideways passing, it was the creating space and options that was really lacking IMO

If we spend anywhere near 20 mill on Willian then we are just as bad as liverpool. He is over hyped and not much better than Townsend. Step overs don't get you goals.

Back