• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Caulker

Re: Caulker

H'mm, maybe, if so big apologies to Caulker, but he certainly did something similar in a recent game, cannot remember whether it was Carlisle or QPR. Point is for us not to get carried away, he's a young lad and still learning.

Yep, I think it was QPR. In fairness to him, it was a very difficult header and he cushioned it back to where Gallas would have been if he had continued running. However, Gallas had stopped running about a second earlier so he ended up cushioning it to a QPR player. Probably both at fault for that.

He is still young and playing in a position where experience is key and so will make a few obviousl mistakes throughout the season and probably quite a few subtle ones as well but he is doing outstandingly well for someone of his age imo and will become a great cb. The tools were always there with him.

If you're going to sledge someone then you need to know what you're sledging them for!!!

It was his clearance against QPR, weak clearance from Caulker and Gallas was out of position and we nearly got punished, poor from both of them. He hasn't had many of those moments though.

The one before Jan tackled Hoillet you mean?

Ah not to sound too defensive with Caulker but in my opinion it wasn't a weak clearance whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGg3bkJsH8&feature=player_embedded

Caulker's used to playing in a CB partnership from his Swansea days which covers for each other and keeps the ball 9 times out of 10 as opposed to hoofing it.

Young Steven is expecting Gallas to be moving back so places the ball in his path. It's not his fault that by 60 minutes Gallas's legs are pretty much falling off, I completely believe that to be Gallas' fault, it wasn't a poor clearance, it would have been a good pass keeping the ball therefore keeping the pressure off. That's the kind of thing we want instilled in our defence but Gallas unfortunately doesn't look 100% capable of playing that way.

Sorry mate, but trying to play the ball out when it is in the air is idiotic 100% of the time. If its on the deck OK, but the net result of heading to your team mate will always be pressure as the opposition has time to get on top of you. You get rid of that ball every time unless Gallas is completely unmarked.

good experience to win at united. should do the world of confidence

gallas is still my number one guy. always marks the best of the opposition strike force

I think had Gallas moved back at a good speed they'd have had time to sort it out amongst themselves. A headed clearance could have gone anywhere and put us under even more pressure, a calm and collected approach would have relieved the pressure.

Of course if we do try and take Caulker's approach mistakes like that will be made, but in the long run those habits are what stops you getting absolutely raped for the second half at old trafford. Headed clearance with the backs to the wall will mean wave after wave of attack coming your way whereas a bit of composure can help players find their feet and get back in to some sort of recognisable shape. I'm not saying we never clear it, but when the option is there we should be keeping the ball in a calm and collected manner.

Perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree here, it's interesting how you can get such contrasting views of an event, it's what it's all about otherwise these places wouldn't exist I guess!

Yes whilst he's clearly an outstanding prospect we certainly do need to keep a sense of proportion. He's still young and inevitably prone to the odd howler. One or two of his headed clearances have been dangerously wayward. There was one yesterday when he headed straight back into the path of Van Persie in space inside the box which could easily have cost us dearly.

watch the game properly next time.

A ball in the air takes time to reach its target, playing the ball to a central position, in front of our own goal, with no cover behind and Gallas completely marked is a bad idea whether he is in position or not. Put it the other way around and Defie is nipping at the heels of defender XYZ and the other CB loops on to his feet... We are expecting Defoe to punish them every time. This is the entire point about decision making, in this instance it was a poor choice. You can't always play it out.

If you're going to sledge someone then you need to know what you're sledging them for!!!

It was his clearance against QPR, weak clearance from Caulker and Gallas was out of position and we nearly got punished, poor from both of them. He hasn't had many of those moments though.

spot on.

you see comments pop up like "he has his moments"... when every defender in the world has times when they dont clear headers properly, get turned etc. caulker has been nothing short of outstanding

A ball in the air takes time to reach its target, playing the ball to a central position, in front of our own goal, with no cover behind and Gallas completely marked is a bad idea whether he is in position or not. Put it the other way around and Defie is nipping at the heels of defender XYZ and the other CB loops on to his feet... We are expecting Defoe to punish them every time. This is the entire point about decision making, in this instance it was a poor choice. You can't always play it out.

The only reason that the problem happens is because of how sluggish Gallas is. What Caulker will have seen is the positioning of Gallas for a split second and then will be watching the ball to ensure he wins the challenge. From where Caulker sees Gallas the information he gets from that is that the Frenchman have enough time to either take the ball down or pass it on the another player or if under severe pressure clear it either downfield or for a throw in...What Caulker can't see is that Gallas is moving very very slowly.

If Gallas had been defending properly I doubt Zamora would have even made that run as Gallas with the correct positioning there comes away with the ball and can make a pass, if you see one half of a centre back partnership looking absolutely dead on their legs you do chase everything down as the defence will struggle. If Gallas knows physically he can't be there in instances like that it's his duty to either say to Caulker keep it simple and clear it everytime or alert the bench to the fact that he is struggling and will put the defence under pressure by carrying on.

We'll have to agree to disagree mate. You don't put yourself under pressure in that situation, doesn't matter where Gallas is placed he would have been immediately under pressure facing his own goal.

Having read some of the recent posts in this thread clearly the club is getting it wrong. We should be looking to use the latest in robotic technology in our playing staff rather than error prone human beings. Some supporter will only be happy if we play error free football, with every pass reaching its intended receiver and every shot on target. To this effect a team of wirelessly connected robots who know what each other are doing before it is actually done is the only solution.

Some of the posters here need to get a life (and play less electronic games) Stephen Caulker is a fantastic player at 20 and will only get better. I've been watching young defenders break into the first team for over forty years and he is one of the best (maybe at his age better than Ledley). Just accept he will make mistakes as all young defenders do (remember Ledley at the Millenium Stadium against Blackburn) but the positives will easily outweigh any negatives.

Sorry mate, but trying to play the ball out when it is in the air is idiotic 100% of the time. If its on the deck OK, but the net result of heading to your team mate will always be pressure as the opposition has time to get on top of you. You get rid of that ball every time unless Gallas is completely unmarked.

I agree, in that particular situation there was simply not enough space. Can't play it cute and fancy when the opposing team is pressing your CBs hard, hoping for a mistake to be made. Plus, it's not like Caulker and Gallas have been playing together much.

Probably my ultimate fave cb pairing ? King and Woody, King more physical, woody more positional but if fit, they were the best in the land. Judas and rio when young - caulker can emulate these types, he has to want to ask and learn.

good experience to win at united. should do the world of confidence

gallas is still my number one guy. always marks the best of the opposition strike force

He was absolutely immense again yesterday, especially for a man who's hamstring had clearly gone! Fantastic!

He was absolutely immense again yesterday, especially for a man who's hamstring had clearly gone! Fantastic!

Immense? nah. He was very good and that header under his own bar was top notch... but what the fudge was he doin for that second goal I just do not know. No mans land. I would expect caulker to be in no mans lans but not Gallas.

It was a great move lending Caulker to Swansea. With Rodgers insisting they play the ball out of defense, he now looks very assured with his short passing and with the ball at his feet. He had that headed goal wrongly ruled out the other week too, and looks like he could score a few from set pieces. He's playing above his age. Hope he stays fit.

We'll have to agree to disagree mate. You don't put yourself under pressure in that situation, doesn't matter where Gallas is placed he would have been immediately under pressure facing his own goal.

I agree, in that particular situation there was simply not enough space. Can't play it cute and fancy when the opposing team is pressing your CBs hard, hoping for a mistake to be made. Plus, it's not like Caulker and Gallas have been playing together much.

I don't think it's cute and fancy. Where do you guys think that he should be heading that ball?

He was under pressure and backtracking, difficult situation to generate a lot of power on a header, especially a looping ball like that. Heading it down to Gallas for him to get it clear seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Caulker did a good job yesterday, and hey: We beat United with Kaboul, BAE, Parker and Ade out with injuries. The future is bright=D>

Back