• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Caulker

Re: Caulker

I'm an admirer of the kid but if you want to know why English players are so ridiculously overpriced its because of articles like this.
If Caulker was from Northern Ireland for instance there would be no story about him in the media.
The English media are obsessed with the idea that the next crop of English players might actually turn out to be the ones.

Yeah, but he'd be all over the Irish media. I doubt there are many stories about Caulker in the French or Greek media, but I'll bet there's plenty of stuff about promising young French or Greek players. It's perfectly normal and it happens everywhere. Homegrown players attract a small premium in their home country because of the extra media profile they bring. And not just in football. Compare the coverage Andy Murray gets in Britain compared to everywhere else. Compare the coverage Novak Djokovic gets in Serbia compared with everywhere else. And so on.

I dont get it

Yeah maybe it was a little bit obtuse...

main_caulk_0309.jpg

Three games for us and no goals conceded with him at the back, not the worst return ;)

Kaboul and Caulker would be immense IMO.

That's the partnership which emulates some of the best centre back pairings I've seen over the years. You've got your physical beast, and you've got your more cultured ball playing type as well. Ferdinand and Vidic, Carvalho and Terry, Pique and Puyol, King and Dawson. It is harsh on Dawson as he has been such a good servant to the club, but I do a much brighter future with partnerships that has a combination of Verts Caulker and Kaboul, and Dawson is too good a player just to be coming in for the cup game and injury crisis, he's unfortunate to end up as 5th choice, he really is, and I don't think anyone wants to see him leave particularly, but it would probably be in his best interests to....

So Kaboul and Caulker at CB with Johnny Vertical on the left (and BAE to Southampton or WBA)?

Works for me

That's the partnership which emulates some of the best centre back pairings I've seen over the years. You've got your physical beast, and you've got your more cultured ball playing type as well. Ferdinand and Vidic, Carvalho and Terry, Pique and Puyol, King and Dawson. It is harsh on Dawson as he has been such a good servant to the club, but I do a much brighter future with partnerships that has a combination of Verts Caulker and Kaboul, and Dawson is too good a player just to be coming in for the cup game and injury crisis, he's unfortunate to end up as 5th choice, he really is, and I don't think anyone wants to see him leave particularly, but it would probably be in his best interests to....
They're all top, top defenders, to use Harry parlance, and Dawson's particular strengths are his outstanding bravery and buccaneering, never-say-die attitude, but it's his out-ball (the hoof) that can sometimes let him down. When we had Crouch up top the long hopeful punt upfield may have made good sense but it hardly sits comfortably with AVB's patient build-from-the back approach.

They're all top, top defenders, to use Harry parlance, and Dawson's particular strengths are his outstanding bravery and buccaneering, never-say-die attitude, but it's his out-ball (the hoof) that can sometimes let him down. When we had Crouch up top the long hopeful punt upfield may have made good sense but it hardly sits comfortably with AVB's patient build-from-the back approach.

Dawson is superb in the air (defending), decent tackle, good blocking, brave and nice guy as well. I'd take 1 Dawson over 10 John Terrys.

Actually Terry is a good example of far you can progress without blistering pace. I agree that the long passes Dawson attempts are low percentage out balls, especially with a midget forward, but these could be coached out of him even still. I don't mind any defender clearing lines but under no pressure retaining possession is paramount.

For me Gallas is on his last legs and will play less an less this season, so a CB pool of Kaboul/Vertoghen/Caulker/Dawson/Gallas is more than fine.

Kaboul and Vertoghen would be my preference when all are fit.

Swansea look a much poorer team without Caulker.
I do get a little annoyed when people write him off as 'potential'. He's already a high class defender who (as long as he keeps playing) is only going to get better.

Dawson is superb in the air (defending), decent tackle, good blocking, brave and nice guy as well. I'd take 1 Dawson over 10 John Terrys.

Actually Terry is a good example of far you can progress without blistering pace. I agree that the long passes Dawson attempts are low percentage out balls, especially with a midget forward, but these could be coached out of him even still. I don't mind any defender clearing lines but under no pressure retaining possession is paramount.

For me Gallas is on his last legs and will play less an less this season, so a CB pool of Kaboul/Vertoghen/Caulker/Dawson/Gallas is more than fine.

Kaboul and Vertoghen would be my preference when all are fit.
Not so sure about that, at going on 29 he'll be a bit set in his ways, but agree 100% with the rest of your post.

If we keep Dawson all season then I would expect Gallas to be gone in the summer and Dawson then would be one of four defenders, that works for me

So Kaboul and Caulker at CB with Johnny Vertical on the left (and BAE to Southampton or WBA)?

Works for me

I do not really rate ekotto either, i thought it was just me though. He is not awful and far better then we have had in the recent past but i still think he is average and at times often below average. I hope we get that fella from man u who went to Belgium in the summer.

Back