• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pedro Porro

I must say Twitter has completely baffled me. I’ve had an account for some years but never used it, and for a change this transfer window I started to go on there.

The amount of Spurs fans with the brains the size of a peanut (and I’m well aware this isn’t exclusive to Spurs) is incredible. No one on there was talking about Pedro Porro a few months ago - now apparently Spurs are going to collapse if they don’t sign him. It’s all Levy’s fault without having a genuine clue what is going on, and there are experts on there explaining why a £2.6m administration charge is ‘normal’ and Levy should just pay it and not bat an eye lid.

I feel like the place is exclusive to twelve year olds and below, it really is cringeworthy. I know you can find the odd bit of funny on there, but how some of you lot can look on there day in day out I will never know:D….
Because I don't follow peanut brains, and don't engage with them either.

I think that’s harsh
He is a good player but IMO no better than we have
He would do really well at a team who play very different football to us
But he isn’t starting at Brighton and they were happy to sell him…. That should say a lot as they don’t sell unless it’s on their terms
All I've seen from him is that he looks to be a fast runner (and even then I'm not fully convinced whether he really is fast of just looks fast because he is so small).

Well we cannot complain, we knew what the release cause was at the beginning of the window, so if he really thought he was worth the money we could have signed him then. When a club does not have to sell a player you are taking a risk when you leave it late.

Just pay up £40M+ in full up front you mean? Even though Sporting have been negotiating with us?

It's also possible that Porro wouldn't have wanted to take that route anyway. It's the player who triggers the release clause (but the buying club would make the funds available for him to do that). Maybe Porro didn't want to force his way out or lose out on pay, bonuses etc. he might have been due? We know it's not often that players put in transfer requests if they can avoid it.

Just pay up £40M+ in full up front you mean? Even though Sporting have been negotiating with us?

It's also possible that Porro wouldn't have wanted to take that route anyway. It's the player who triggers the release clause (but the buying club would make the funds available for him to do that). Maybe Porro didn't want to force his way out or lose out on pay, bonuses etc. he might have been due? We know it's not often that players put in transfer requests if they can avoid it.

So the release clause was £39m which we did not want to pay upfront so we negotiated to pay in instalments, however in this case Sporting would only accept the deal if we may more than the £39m. It was the actual amount over the £39m and the instalments which was why things dragged out. The analogy It is kind of like paying your credit card in one payment or paying it off over several months.

The problem is we should have been aware that about 10 days ago the release clause elapsed, we should have been aware of that date, and should have realised that if we do not agree a deal by then we are subject to the whims and caprices of Sporting. That's when we should have considered walking away or just pay the release clause.

Sporting were true to their word, they were not gonna accept less than the release clause, and come the end of the day we are supposed to have offered more than the £39m instalments and they still screwed us over. I guess people have seen Levy in action and have decided 2 can play that game.

By the way, you said it is the player that triggers the release clause, are you sure about that? I am not doubting you at all, but I only ask because in Spain, to trigger the release clause you just lodge the money with the with the Spanish FA and you do not even have to have any negotiation with the club at all. I guess things operate differently in different countries.

I must say Twitter has completely baffled me. I’ve had an account for some years but never used it, and for a change this transfer window I started to go on there.

The amount of Spurs fans with the brains the size of a peanut (and I’m well aware this isn’t exclusive to Spurs) is incredible. No one on there was talking about Pedro Porro a few months ago - now apparently Spurs are going to collapse if they don’t sign him. It’s all Levy’s fault without having a genuine clue what is going on, and there are experts on there explaining why a £2.6m administration charge is ‘normal’ and Levy should just pay it and not bat an eye lid.

I feel like the place is exclusive to twelve year olds and below, it really is cringeworthy. I know you can find the odd bit of funny on there, but how some of you lot can look on there day in day out I will never know:D….

Twitter is a cesspool.

Whatever shred of belief you have in humanity will be utterly destroyed, and any question you have about "could people be so stupid" will be resoundingly answered.

Sporting were true to their word, they were not gonna accept less than the release clause, and come the end of the day we are supposed to have offered more than the £39m instalments and they still screwed us over. I guess people have seen Levy in action and have decided 2 can play that game.

It's their MO, people have posted stuff from the Bruno deal with United, they did exactly the same thing, negotiated hard, got to a point, all agreed, then changed the ask at the last minute.

They will probably work it out, get another 1% or something more off the Edwards sell on. They best hope they never have to depend on us to do them a solid in the future ...

So the release clause was £39m which we did not want to pay upfront so we negotiated to pay in instalments, however in this case Sporting would only accept the deal if we may more than the £39m. It was the actual amount over the £39m and the instalments which was why things dragged out. The analogy It is kind of like paying your credit card in one payment or paying it off over several months.

The problem is we should have been aware that about 10 days ago the release clause elapsed, we should have been aware of that date, and should have realised that if we do not agree a deal by then we are subject to the whims and caprices of Sporting. That's when we should have considered walking away or just pay the release clause.

By the way, you said it is the player that triggers the release clause, are you sure about that? I am not doubting you at all, but I only ask because in Spain, to trigger the release clause you just lodge the money with the with the Spanish FA and you do not even have to have any negotiation with the club at all. I guess things operate differently in different countries.

I'm most certainly not an expert on release clauses! I have been trying to find out a bit more about how they work over the past week just out of interest. Most of what is written is about La Liga but there seems to be an understanding that Portugal operates in the same way.
Release clauses are obligatory in contracts in Spain and Portugal and are there as a protection for the player, to allow the player to be able to terminate a contract (back to this in a moment). So it is the player who must lodge the payment with his FA (i.e. a release clause can't just be triggered by a club lodging the payment, it has to be the player as it is his choice to terminate his contract) and the buying club reimburses the player (or pays them up front). There was an issue with this a few years ago in that this money being paid to the player then became liable for income tax, making the process less attractive for players, but that has since been changed.

Re the release clause period elapsing : I haven't been able to find any reference to this kind of set-up in anything I have read (but my reading has not exactly been exhaustive). And it does seem to run contrary to the whole principle of the release clause being there, by law, to protect the player, not the club.
There have been a lot of conflicting reports on twitter on this topic over yesterday and today, either the release clause can't be activated until the summer, or it can only be activated in the first 12 days of a window, or it can be activated beyond that, but not in the last 12 days.
This all sounds like a mixture of crossed wires, chinese whispers or outright rubbish tbh. I'm going with the last option.

It's their MO, people have posted stuff from the Bruno deal with United, they did exactly the same thing, negotiated hard, got to a point, all agreed, then changed the ask at the last minute.

They will probably work it out, get another 1% or something more off the Edwards sell on. They best hope they never have to depend on us to do them a solid in the future ...
Edwards sell on fee doesn’t move with him to new clubs does it? Wouldn’t we have already been paid for Edwards when he moved from that dutch team?

Edwards sell on fee doesn’t move with him to new clubs does it? Wouldn’t we have already been paid for Edwards when he moved from that dutch team?

Excelsior was a loan. We sold him to vitoria for no fee but a 50% sell on fee. Vitoria the sold him to sporting. His release clause was €15m. Spurs, sporting and vitoria did a deal. Sporting would pay €7.5m which was split between spurs and vitoria (i believe) then spurs and vitoria both retained a 25% sell on fee.

Although it may be possible vitoria got the money and we retained the 50%. But i'm pretty sure we received money.

Everyone is assuming it works the same way in Portugal. This has yet to be confirmed. It works that way because in Spanish law all fixed term contracts have to have a legal way to end early, tied to a financial amount. It's not even a football thing, but a Spanish employment law feature. As I say, though, no one has actually confirmed that Portugal has the same ruling. All we know is that they do support release clauses.

We will always need them more than they need us. They have better scouts and links to young players and are far bolder in bringing in potential players. There will be other players we will want from them in the future but they will likely never pay good money for someone we are selling, they just don't have the finance.

Back