• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

How anyone would drop jan blows me mind... He's our only great CB.... We need to be thinking about who partners him. I think Fazio for now, but ultimately feel we really need a quality partner for him next season.

For CB's i tend to think in two's.

i.e. pick one out of the three:
- verts + dier
- verts + fazio
- fazio + dier

Also some key involvements for us defensively. Pulled out of that one at the end, but not long before that he came across with a great tackle in the box after Dier had again challenged for a header and lost out. I think for the one he did pull out of at the end he might just have been afraid of getting sent off when we had a 2 goal lead.

Whoscored has Vertonghen down with winning 5 aerial duels, Dier only 2. Not like Vertonghen pulled out of everything.

Of course had it been Vertonghen that failed to pick up a single player for the first goal, or pushed forward and lost a header for the last goal I'm guessing it would have been highlighted a lot more?

Another game, another brain fart...

A CB can be excellent for 89 minutes but if he cannot concentrate for the whole game and has regular and consistent lapses of the type seen yesterday and recently, one has to question his validity.

I struggle to see why he's not involved even in the squad if he is fit.

Verts and Fazio did look better to me too.

Vertonghen looked much better with Fazio in defence. In fact, the last time we kept a clean sheet was against WBA when Vertonghen and Fazio played together. Strangely, Fazio has not played a league game since then. And we have duly conceded in each of the games since then, conceding 15 goals in 7 league matches, including 9 in the last 4 league matches. Maybe Pochettino is too obsessed with youngsters like Dier or Levy is forcing him to play youngsters more now.

It seems that other Sours fan sights are discussing Vertonghen's recent performances like we are here.

On one of the threads i read (i think it was Tottenham Hotspur forum) somebody posted a link to this web article: http://www.spursfanatic.com/blog/jan-vertonghen-impetuous/

The article raises some interesting points,including a conclusion that Verts is becoming like Vermaelen in that he is diving in and trying to stop danger at source and further up the pitch and leaving the defence exposed if he misses, a la Arsenal. The article also notices that a lot of Belgium's CBs are playing like this at present,like it's how they are being/have been trained: Vermaelen as usual but also now Verts, Alderweireld and Kompany.

Interesting..

Vertonghen isn't the only player in our team that tries to anticipate and intercept all the time. They are right that he does leave the defence short by doing so, but on the other hand when he does win the ball we can initiate a counter.

What do you suggest he should do then? Stay in position and allow that player all the time and space in the world to pick out a pass?

Its about picking your moments. If the player is isloated then there will not be too much danger in trying to nip in ahead of him or hassle him. The problem is that Verts seems to do it when the player has runners all around him. That and his weak challenges are letting players get in all too easy. I would rather he sit in position and stop the space for the runners which then causes panic in defence and let the midfielders mop up the guys in the void picking up the ball. At least until we can get some defensive cohesion going.

I see a lot of people want Fazio back in the side. That is fine. But at present Dier is playing better than Vertonghen. I would like to see Dier and Fazio together.

He did make at least one very important (and well-timed) challenge on the edge of our box in the second half, clearing with his right boot. I thought I noticed a pointed look at Chadli afterwards as well, although that may just have been my imagination. Neither he nor Dier ever want to stick their heads in where the action is, though, and I think you need someone who is willing to do that, really.

If he keeps covering for Dier ( which he does) he is always going to get exposed, Dier may turn out to be a top class player but we need to get Fazio back alongside Jan as they are our best partnership.

It seems that other Sours fan sights are discussing Vertonghen's recent performances like we are here.

On one of the threads i read (i think it was Tottenham Hotspur forum) somebody posted a link to this web article: http://www.spursfanatic.com/blog/jan-vertonghen-impetuous/

The article raises some interesting points,including a conclusion that Verts is becoming like Vermaelen in that he is diving in and trying to stop danger at source and further up the pitch and leaving the defence exposed if he misses, a la Arsenal. The article also notices that a lot of Belgium's CBs are playing like this at present,like it's how they are being/have been trained: Vermaelen as usual but also now Verts, Alderweireld and Kompany.

Interesting..

It's not just a Belgian thing though, is it? Pretty standard modern way of defending. And if you're playing a high pressing game it's, to an extent, necessary. You can't play a high pressing game and stand off the strikers giving them time and space to receive the ball.

Is Vertonghen doing that any more than Dier? Leicester game Dier got caught high up the pitch several times after losing tackles or headers. Like for their last goal, and when Verts made that excellent tackle at the edge of the box.

I don't think Verts is a leader and if he isn't the other cb needs to be. That certainly isn't Dier, at least not at this stage of his career. Fazio needs to come back....

I see a lot of people want Fazio back in the side. That is fine. But at present Dier is playing better than Vertonghen.
That is up for debate. I like Dier but he has hardly been briliant either recently. It was just two matches ago were he played a big part in all three goals conceded against United. And against Leicester he lost a worrying amount of headers. Both need to step up. I am not sure whether Fazio is the answer, whenever he played recently he made some pretty big mistakes as well. Maybe get Kaboul and Chiriches back in? :eek::p

His game is very poor in the last 4 games, and I don't think it is coincidence that all of them was with Dier playing beside him. Dier has great potential, he is only 21 but now he made a lot of easy mistakes.

Back today. Why can he never stay on his feet. When we concede look at Vertonghen and he's usually ended up sliding in and missing it.

Back