• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

I was reading something a couple of days ago that said that whilst it is a 4+2 year contract, the extension must be agreed upon by both the player and the club before it can be activated. As thing's stand that has yet to happen though Spurs are trying to convince him to do so. Could Alderweireld be a Jan replacement and not the extra CB that we don't need?

“I still had a contract for four years. They offered me new contract of five years, I see as great sign of confidence.”

"I still have four years left. I am happy at the club and I think they are happy with me. That's where it ends."

That is what he said last year.

His next contract will likely be his last big one. It makes sense that he's hedging his bets either way. I hope the prospect of partnering Alderweireld (if he signs) long-term can convince him to pen his final large contract here, with us: if not, then we can sell him next year and be confident of getting a good price for a man with two years ostensibly left on his contract (if the 4+2 thing is to be believed).

maybe explains why we are signing Alderweireld.

Alderweireld and Dier for the right centreback role and Fazio and Wimmer for the left centreback spot. Fazio preferred this side at Sevilla iirc.

He best not be. Why do we always have to sell our better players to those idiots? You know what I mean and 'clams' doesn't cut it.

Agreed. We are strong when Chelsea come knocking and I'm sure we would tell Arsenal to politely fudge off so why should it not be the same for United?

I think if we were to sell him this summer it would be because we wanted to, not because we caved in to a bigger club or a want away player, as has been described of the Berbatov/Carrick/Modric/Bale deals. He has long enough on his contract for us to dig our heels in if we wanted to and i don't think he's near the level that some of you guys do - he's a good defender, but far from irreplaceable and if there's a big offer on the table which would allow us to to sign a replacement and put a further 20m or so towards other key positions this summer then it's definitley worth considering.

Hypothetically i was happy enough going in to the season with Dier Wimmer Vertonghen and Fazio - so if we were to sell Vertonghen for 30m, replace him with 11m rated Alderweireld then that's no worse on paper and we also have a further 20m to go towards getting in our primary targets for CM and CF/Wide Forward

Imv

Hypothetically i was happy enough going in to the season with Dier Wimmer Vertonghen and Fazio - so if we were to sell Vertonghen for 30m, replace him with 11m rated Alderweireld then that's no worse on paper and we also have a further 20m to go towards getting in our primary targets for CM and CF/Wide Forward

Imv

Actually don't think there's much point in signing Alderweireld if we're going to let his CB partner at Ajax go in order to bring him in: for me, one of the biggest bonuses of his potential signing (given that he'll likely be sidelining Fazio, who I like) is that he'll get to recreate his partnership with Verts, and the chemistry we gain from that will hopefully help our defense immeasurably.

If Verts goes, there isn't much point to his signing, imo. Promote Veljkovic and spend elsewhere. :p

If Verts goes, there isn't much point to his signing, imo. Promote Veljkovic and spend elsewhere. :p
Couldn't disagree more. The idea of starting our season with Dier, Fazio, Wimmer and Veljkovic at CB is madness (IMO). Presumably you're either not too fussed about challenging in all competitions or you have a crystal ball and know for a fact that our back-line will remain injury free.

Couldn't disagree more. The idea of starting our season with Dier, Fazio, Wimmer and Veljkovic at CB is madness (IMO). Presumably you're either not too fussed about challenging in all competitions or you have a crystal ball and know for a fact that our back-line will remain injury free.

Well, perhaps I was being bit OTT. But we do have to give Veljkovic a chance somewhere, at some point: why not as 4th choice CB heading into this season?

Actually don't think there's much point in signing Alderweireld if we're going to let his CB partner at Ajax go in order to bring him in: for me, one of the biggest bonuses of his potential signing (given that he'll likely be sidelining Fazio, who I like) is that he'll get to recreate his partnership with Verts, and the chemistry we gain from that will hopefully help our defense immeasurably.

Centre half partnership at Ajax? They wouldnt exactly be overworked would they be. It like hiring a bass player from the white stripes.

Centre half partnership at Ajax? They wouldnt exactly be overworked would they be. It like hiring a bass player from the white stripes.

:D I get your point, but chemistry is sometimes very underrated when assessing a footballing partnership. Sure, what Verts and Alderweireld did together at Ajax would probably not work at Spurs, but they've been paired long enough that each likely fully knows the strengths and weaknesses of the other, even if their games and skills have evolved since the time they were together in Amsterdam. From there, it's just a case of assessing what new tricks each has picked up during their respective stays in England and Spain, and then assigning defensive duties accordingly. And if centre-backs trust each other to do their jobs well (or at least if one CB trusts the other implicitly, like the way most of Ledley's partners did), then a far stronger back line will probably result, even if it doesn't recreate the likely domination that Verts and Alderweireld enjoyed at Ajax.

:D I get your point, but chemistry is sometimes very underrated when assessing a footballing partnership. Sure, what Verts and Alderweireld did together at Ajax would probably not work at Spurs, but they've been paired long enough that each likely fully knows the strengths and weaknesses of the other, even if their games and skills have evolved since the time they were together in Amsterdam. From there, it's just a case of assessing what new tricks each has picked up during their respective stays in England and Spain, and then assigning defensive duties accordingly. And if centre-backs trust each other to do their jobs well (or at least if one CB trusts the other implicitly, like the way most of Ledley's partners did), then a far stronger back line will probably result, even if it doesn't recreate the likely domination that Verts and Alderweireld enjoyed at Ajax.

Fair enough. We havent had a settled centre back combination in so long.
Its why I'm against us having a bunch of average centre halfs without any of them being outstanding.
We are never gonna get consistent starters.

Back