• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

expand on culture.

can you help me understand what you mean by that with respect to playing football on a football pitch

I mean that for many people to perform at optimal levels it is important for them to have a settled and familiar routine and supportive social structure. It seems like Lamela is such a person - hence his family flying in. He is young and did not speak English prior to his arrival at Spurs and it seems like AVB is allowing him time to settle in before giving him too many games. When Ossie and Ricky came in '78 - both older and World Cup Winners - they had each other and Ricky has talked about how hard it was to settle in. Obviously there are more ways for a foreign import to feel at home what with the Internets and all, but each person is different and it looks like Lamela is one of those who needs more time.

Last edited:

I agree, the lad needs to feel like he is at home before he can really start showing what he's made of and that doesn't just mean on the pitch. As for tonight, well there were times where he was well placed to receive a pass, only for the ball to be played backwards or dribbled off to a corner of the pitch

We have invested in Lamela, a lot of very knowledgeable people seem to believe he is the real deal, and he shows just glimpses of it.

I think he/we are lucky in that he can play a bit part for a while and hopefully other players can take up the slack until he finds his feet.

Believe and support the kid, no need for negativity, he's trying

He still player better on the right in the first half then Townsend did on the right in the second.
I was ready to strangle Townsend by the end. Greediest ****er in spurs shirt since Defoe. All the wanted at the end was a goal, it was all about Andros Townsend and glorying himself back ahead of Lennon.

would you say that patience will pay off with the lad or do you think we are wasting our time? have wasted money?

I would say Townsend made a statement tonight saying I want my first team place!!!!!! Lamela played like a disapointed player knowing his inclusion meant he wont feature vs pool!

I disagree. Thought his attitude was fine.

If his assist is slightly misplaced or mistimed or the Anzhi players do a bit better and get in the way it might look sloppy or disinterested compared to when Townsend takes on 2-3 players on his own. But that's a difference of playing style, not effort. Lamela looked to play several similar passes to the assist, they just didn't come off. He was trying to get involved, but drifted out of the game a bit on the left with Naughton behind him offering little overlapping down the left. He seemed to keep going though, did his job decently defensively and got close to getting a goal in the end.

I would be more impressed with Townsend if he had played for the team, not played to make a statement. That would have showed a level of maturity that he so far unfortunately hasn't reached and that I think is part of what's standing in between him and being a great player.

I mean that for many people to perform at optimal levels it is important for them to have a settled and familiar routine and supportive social structure. It seems like Lamela is such a person - hence his family flying in. He is young and did not speak English prior to his arrival at Spurs and it seems like AVB is allowing him time to settle in before giving him too many games. When Ossie and Ricky came in '78 - both older and World Cup Winners - they had each other and Ricky has talked about how hard it was to settle in. Obviously there are more ways for a foreign import to feel at home what with the Internets and all, but each person is different and it looks like Lamela is one of those who needs more time.

so it isnt necessarily the culture. Its more to do with his personality than anything else would you say...his character and ability to apply his skill set in a new environment that he is not accustomed to

would you say that sums it up adequately (as much as summing up something as detailed as what you said can be)

We have invested in Lamela, a lot of very knowledgeable people seem to believe he is the real deal, and he shows just glimpses of it.

I think he/we are lucky in that he can play a bit part for a while and hopefully other players can take up the slack until he finds his feet.

negativity? can you explain? please tell me thats its not because i have not certified him amazing or future world class

I like that he doesn't hide, even when it is not going well for him. The number of chances to show what he can do have been relatively few so far, by design I imagine, so every match he plays in is over analysed. Some performances have been good, others bad, but people way more knowledgeable than us see the potential in him. He'll come good.

I like that he doesn't hide, even when it is not going well for him. The number of chances to show what he can do have been relatively few so far, by design I imagine, so every match he plays in is over analysed. Some performances have been good, others bad, but people way more knowledgeable than us see the potential in him. He'll come good.

with AVB's game plan the attacking players are going to have a tough time carving space out for themselves. lamela and chadli and eriksen, unlike holtby and siggy, prefer to use skill and intelligence rather than sheer hardwork. Its easy to see all that hard running and tackling; much harder to see the ambition behind trying to get two players to be committed and played out of the game, so that something can happen.

however it seems that right now avb is relying alot on the hard running and possession; I hope at a point in time he will develop a plan B for other situations - one where we can unleash the likes of lamela and eriksen together in open attacking football up front.

I think the price tag is what is causing the lack of patience. We are not Chelsea if we spend 30m on a player we need to see some return. It is not fair on the lad and I understand that he is young and has a lot of adjusting to do culture/league etc.. but it is what it is. The fact of the matter is that for various reasons he hasn't shown us much. By merit, I think he is last in the pecking order for a place on the wing/behind the striker. I still think he will come good but this year not looking likely he will help us much.

However, for those saying he needs a run of games and we should just play him is madness. We have so much still to play for this season if you are wanting to put him in the team over a handful of other players who are in much better form than I question what your logic is. There is no guarantee that a "run of games" will have him find form and in the meantime we are leaving out players for important games who will give us a better chance to win.

He still player better on the right in the first half then Townsend did on the right in the second.
I was ready to strangle Townsend by the end. Greediest ****er in spurs shirt since Defoe. All the wanted at the end was a goal, it was all about Andros Townsend and glorying himself back ahead of Lennon.

Yeah that was very greedy to play the inch perfect lob pass for Holtby's goal, and also the other half dozen times he put balls across the box. If you are playing in a one sided match and not trying to get on the scoresheet I would question your ambition.

so it isnt necessarily the culture. Its more to do with his personality than anything else would you say...his character and ability to apply his skill set in a new environment that he is not accustomed to

would you say that sums it up adequately (as much as summing up something as detailed as what you said can be)

I would. It's the age-old culture/character debate.

It's almost certainly confidence issues. It's quite strange, at Roma he seemed fearless like he'd get the ball and attack you.

You can see the difference between player with no fear and those with. Look at Delafaou from Everton, he has zero feat, he'll take you on regardless, maybe thats how they teach you at La Masia? Even if he had **** ability, he'd try and take you on because in his head he thinks he can beat you. I don't see this with Lamela, yet. Will we see it? Of course we will, I have no idea when but we will see it. We saw it against Sheriff when the littlest things gave him confidence.

Confidence though and having no fear are two seperate things of course.

It's almost certainly confidence issues. It's quite strange, at Roma he seemed fearless like he'd get the ball and attack you.

You can see the difference between player with no fear and those with. Look at Delafaou from Everton, he has zero feat, he'll take you on regardless, maybe thats how they teach you at La Masia? Even if he had **** ability, he'd try and take you on because in his head he thinks he can beat you. I don't see this with Lamela, yet. Will we see it? Of course we will, I have no idea when but we will see it. We saw it against Sheriff when the littlest things gave him confidence.

Definitely. You saw it in his game against Sheriff. As soon as he got a few decent touches of the ball, had a few passes and feints go his way, he was unstoppable. It's not all that strange though. As have been pointed out by other people in this thread - he needs to settle more in England (the whole social situation means a lot for such a young player, I can imagine), he needs to shake the 30m price tag thing hanging over him, and he needs to get a decent run in the side. He's barely started a Premier League match for us.

=D>

I think confidence and familiarity/settle go hand in hand with consistency. At the moment he gets a little boost and he does some good things. But he may not be the best performer every game...I think once he's settled that confidence will be there. More comfort with surroundings means more comfort on the pitch and with team-mates - I expect to see him pick up and play really well post January.

I think confidence and familiarity/settle go hand in hand with consistency. At the moment he gets a little boost and he does some good things. But he may not be the best performer every game...I think once he's settled that confidence will be there. More comfort with surroundings means more comfort on the pitch and with team-mates - I expect to see him pick up and play really well post January.

have you ever had a crisis of confidence?

agree with most of this if not all

Back