• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Gotta say that he looked lost tonight. It was a good assist from him and he looked decent at times, but the second half just passed him by whilst he sat out on that left flank. Think the team lost some balance with the change of wings at half time, but we can't really complain after Andros' assist

Gotta say that he looked lost tonight. It was a good assist from him and he looked decent at times, but the second half just passed him by whilst he sat out on that left flank. Think the team lost some balance with the change of wings at half time, but we can't really complain after Andros' assist

Well, we can sort of complain. Well, not complain but feel bemused. Andros was doing well on the left and should stick to the left. Lamela is better on the right so should stick to the right. If we had Lennon on the right and Townsend on the left and both played well, I wouldnt expect them to swap at half time and put Lennon on the left, it doesn't work. Assist or no assist, Townsend is wasted on the right. In fact, how many assists has he actually got from the right.

Not his best game at all, playing left or right imo. Great assist, real touch of class, but otherwise very little went his way. Struggled to beat a man and his little passes were intercepted more often than not.

To his credit he kept trying though, didn't hide, wanted the ball and could have gotten his reward in the end.

The is a player in there i can see it. He really needs a run of games whether he plays good or bad he just needs the games.

I do wonder if he would thrive more under a coach who was not so overly tactical.

Apart from the assist he didnt do anything. He has shown glimpses throughout all the games of what he can do but for me he just looks lost and scared. He looks like a little boy lost amongst men and always looks hesitant etc. Not sure what the reasoning behind this is but as I said at the start of the season - next season perhaps is when we will see the best of him.

The is a player in there i can see it. He really needs a run of games whether he plays good or bad he just needs the games.

I do wonder if he would thrive more under a coach who was not so overly tactical.

very insightful

there is an article out there that concludes that he doesnt play well in an overly tactical and possession based game...but rather flourishes a lot more in a more transition based counter attacking style with speed. I think he'd be the stats bomb at arsenal tbh

I'm not sure he's a player who will ever dominate games, but perhaps he'll just impact them in fits and starts. Tonight, he didn't seem that involved, but created one goal and almost scored one himself (decent save from their keeper).

It'd be interesting to see what he could create/score if given a good run in the side. At the moment, other players are ahead of him on merit, so he will have to wait for his chance and, when he gets it, make things happen.

I think today he was trying to hard.

should just let the game come to him. Probably feeling the pressure of people's expectations and trying to hard to make things happen from nowhere

his first game and games soon after showed me a very intellectually gifted and disciplined footballer...i want him to get back to that

I think today he was trying to hard.

should just let the game come to him. Probably feeling the pressure of people's expectations and trying to hard to make things happen from nowhere

his first game and games soon after showed me a very intellectually gifted and disciplined footballer...i want him to get back to that

I agree. I also feel the same about Townsend -- if they both keep it simple and play to their strengths, they will do very well for the team. For Townsend, I think it's as easy as playing him on the left and allowing him to get in behind teams and cross the ball. For Lamela, just get it and use it quickly, as that seems to be his strength (quick thinking/passing).

You say that, but there were times when he received the ball with the oppurtunity to burst forward on a counter and he slowed it down. I do think it's a lack of confidence and he'll get past that soon enough, though he does need games to really push on. As Mumorn said, we can all see he doesn't do well on the left, he isn't anywhere near as involved and yes AT should've stayed on that side because we looked way more threatening (IMO) setup like that. I posted on the Anzhi thread saying that one thing he does give us is a goal threat from within the box when the ball is on the other flank. The fact that he is getting in the positions bodes well for the future.

I agree. I also feel the same about Townsend -- if they both keep it simple and play to their strengths, they will do very well for the team. For Townsend, I think it's as easy as playing him on the left and allowing him to get in behind teams and cross the ball. For Lamela, just get it and use it quickly, as that seems to be his strength (quick thinking/passing).

agree entirely

You say that, but there were times when he received the ball with the oppurtunity to burst forward on a counter and he slowed it down. I do think it's a lack of confidence and he'll get past that soon enough, though he does need games to really push on. As Mumorn said, we can all see he doesn't do well on the left, he isn't anywhere near as involved and yes AT should've stayed on that side because we looked way more threatening (IMO) setup like that. I posted on the Anzhi thread saying that one thing he does give us is a goal threat from within the box when the ball is on the other flank. The fact that he is getting in the positions bodes well for the future.

essentially he doesnt do well on the flanks going on the outside......the right is better for him cause he can cover more pitch with his stronger foot...which is infield and he can come into the support of other central players

confidence is clearly a huge issue for this kid. if he can play through it then he gets points in my eyes

the thing is that we could use him as a wing forward and not as a winger...that would improve his contribution to the team immensely IMO...right now i see more wing play positioning than wing forward

I would love to see him get a look behind the striker at some point. As others have said, he looks much more effective in quick link up play than he does when he tries to run at defenders.

If he doesn't get that chance, I'd rather him sit on the bench than play on the left.

What is his position? If it is behind the striker as a number then why bring him in in the first instance?

I would love to see him get a look behind the striker at some point. As others have said, he looks much more effective in quick link up play than he does when he tries to run at defenders.

If he doesn't get that chance, I'd rather him sit on the bench than play on the left.

what are you expecting to happen if he plays behind the front man?

I would let him play in the position that made us pay all that money for him (on the right, as an 'inside forward' type). Let him get comfortable there first, before we ask him to play a more central role (if we ever do). We also have a lot of other players competing for that spot; Paulinho, Holtby, Eriksen, Sig...tough to get a gig there right now.

looked completely lost out there. sigg, townsend, lennon and chadli all ahead of him for me

We paid for a right wing forward who (I think they said on ITV) was the 5th highest scorer in Serie A last year. I think right now AVB is just experiementing with him and finding the best place to play him for maximum impact.

We paid for a right wing forward who (I think they said on ITV) was the 5th highest scorer in Serie A last year. I think right now AVB is just experiementing with him and finding the best place to play him for maximum impact.

And allowing a 21 year-old lad to settle into a culture that is so very different to that of Argentina and Italy.

would you say that patience will pay off with the lad or do you think we are wasting our time? have wasted money?

I would say Townsend made a statement tonight saying I want my first team place!!!!!! Lamela played like a disapointed player knowing his inclusion meant he wont feature vs pool!

Back