• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

have you ever had a crisis of confidence?

Plenty, mostly when I start somewhere new. (Seriously, not just saying that because it backs up the point I'm making)

Then I feel like I pretty quickly get into the swing of it...before getting bored and wanting to move on. Then wherever I land I get the crisis of confidence again!

so it isnt necessarily the culture. Its more to do with his personality than anything else would you say...his character and ability to apply his skill set in a new environment that he is not accustomed to

would you say that sums it up adequately (as much as summing up something as detailed as what you said can be)

African, I just read this in an interview with Micky Hazard.

Hazard explained that during the early stages of his Spurs youth development he found it incredibly difficult to settle in and get used to being away from home.

“It was the toughest thing I’ve ever done; I spent the first six months running off home. I used to get up at night, crawl down the drain pipe, run to the bus stop, catch a tube at Seven Sisters to Kings Cross and off I went back to the North. I’d refuse to come back [to London], I just missed my family,” he admitted.

Admittedly Hazard was younger than Lamela at that time but I think it helps to illustrate the point that some individuals need more time to bed in (I think even legendary Hard-man Souness was homesick when he was a youth player at Spurs).

African, I just read this in an interview with Micky Hazard.

Hazard explained that during the early stages of his Spurs youth development he found it incredibly difficult to settle in and get used to being away from home.

“It was the toughest thing I’ve ever done; I spent the first six months running off home. I used to get up at night, crawl down the drain pipe, run to the bus stop, catch a tube at Seven Sisters to Kings Cross and off I went back to the North. I’d refuse to come back [to London], I just missed my family,” he admitted.

Admittedly Hazard was younger than Lamela at that time but I think it helps to illustrate the point that some individuals need more time to bed in (I think even legendary Hard-man Souness was homesick when he was a youth player at Spurs).

Very true. And a big city like London can feel incredibly lonely when you don't know the language.

negativity? can you explain? please tell me thats its not because i have not certified him amazing or future world class

Not you specifically AS, just seems to be an air of impatience and negativity about a lot of our recent signings like Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho from week to week that I really don't understand.

Regardless if any of them turn out to be World Class, it seems fairly obvious they all have talent (I remember the players we bought 7 years ago), the team is not quite gelled yet and I think it's fair to say we can expect more out of all of them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/coys/comments/1su431/concerns_about_erik_lamela_dont_worry_heres_why/

I'm from Argentina and I'm been following Argentines in Europe since 2006.

Erik Lamela is considered by thomas vickery (south american columnist) to being the best Argentine youngster. Better than iturbe, Ocampos, and Icardi. He is believed to be the next number 10 for Argentina.

He scored 15 goals and had 5 assist last season. Sabella (Argentina's manager) didn't want to call him up to the national team, the only reason why he got a called up was because Sabella job was in question. The skill, the talent, and the potential are all there.

Argentines with big hype generally do poor in England their first season. Aguero is the exception. The reason why Aguero did so well in his first season was because he had tevez, zabaleta, and other spanish speakers in the squad.

Tevez and Macherano were 22 years old when he joined west ham in 2006.I don't know if some of you remember but they were very poor in the first few months.

Mascherano played poorly in the three months at west ham before leaving for Liverpool where he succeed under a spanish speaking manager and spanish players.

Many people would say Tevez stay at West Ham was successful. In some way it was, he leaded west ham out of the regelation zone and scored the winning goal against man utd in Manchester in the final match day to save them from the drop. However Tevez took a long time to score his first goal for west ham. He didn't score a goal for west ham until March. He finished the season with 7 goals.

With that said, some columnist in Argentina believe that Erik Lamela will surpass Tevez in terms of being a great player. And saying he is the best player river produced in a long time.

Erik Lamela main position, the position he grew up playing was playing in the attacking midfield role. Even though he played on the wing at Roma, it's still new to him to play on the wing. At Roma he was being breed to take Totti's role after Totti's retirement. They wanted him learn to play on the wing. I think Roma (?) got a new president or director(?) and decided to cash Lamela in, because they always want to turn a profit. (I'm not too sure but I remember reading that the American owners want to make a profit every year)

Lamela transferred to England, a nation in which most Argentines grew up having a great distaste for. (Football Rivarly and Falklands.) According to the Argentina media, he wanted the move because it was the next step in his career to move to what he thinks is a bigger club. When he got there he was overwhelmed with the pressure in replacing the 100 million pound man. He really did experience culture shock. Culture shock is more than feeling out of place. You can feel depressed and experience other mental issues such as anxiety. The reason why he got it so bad was the pressure of replacing bale and having really no one in the squad who speaks spanish besides the 29 year old soldado who is also new.

People will say Erik Lamela needs time to adjust to the pace of the premier league and I truly believe that isn't the case. Erik Lamela confidence is so shaky right now. It's all a confidence issue. He feels alone not only in London but with his teammates. Put yourself in his shoes, think about being 21 years old Englishmen and going to Argentina to replace Tevez or Maradona at Boca Jr's and having no other player speak english besides and older teammate who is also new. His family joined him in London which shows how bad he is in terms of his confidence and loneliness. He's learning English in order to fit in the team better. (Something Tevez never did). If tottenham looking for a new player in January, they should look into a spanish speaker around the same age as Lamela.

I've seen the last few games that Lamela played and he is playing like a shadow of himself. It seems like he trying too hard, and trying to do too much which is making him play even worse. When Lamela has the ball, it seems like he doesn't have a quarter of the confidence he had at Roma. Even off the field he seems upset and lonely. I remember seeing him walk into Manchester Citys' stadium and looked so shy, lonely and uncomfortable. He had his head down and just looked very timid. He looked like he was the new kid at school during lunch time. (It's on youtube, Under Emirates Marketing Project tottenham tunnel). This is coming from a guy who had the confidence to do the hand heart celebration after a goal.

He desperately wants to score a goal to show he isn't a bust, which leads to him drifting too far up and getting caught on the counter. When he played for Argentina against Bosnia last month he "whiffed" on a sitter and looked absolutely devastated. He is going through a rut, right now. Goals aren't really a big part of his game. He is usually more about creative dribble type of player than a goalscorer. He just wants to score to regain confidence.

Basically, he only played 6 premier league matches, only had 6 shots in the premier league this season and already have a couple of assist. There is no need to worry about him being a flop. He will be a great player for Tottenham and just last year, Roma fans and the Italian media said he could be as good if not better than Totti. He could very well be the next Totti but for Tottenham. It's going to take time.

Anyway, I just wanted to show you what is going on in his head. A quick way to help him out of his rut and rebuild his confidence, is to scream his name in White Hart Lane when he plays and show him lots of love and backing.

Cheers for posting that Rossi, always nice to get different perspectives and particularly opinions from people with more information available to them.

Along with the obvious trust Baldini/the committee (cue dramatic music) put in Lamela by making him our record signing I think there are very good reasons to be very optimistic about Lamela's future at Spurs.

I find it 100% impossible to believe that Lamela and his representatives (primarily his ex-pro father) would have agreed to a Spurs move without a clear understanding that he'd be developed in his favoured position, wherever that is. Equally implausible is that Spurs (Baldini, AVB, Levy) would have agreed those terms and then reneged on them almost immediately.

No, I'd put any problems there are down to settling-in issues and perhaps a slight attendant lack of form/confidence.

Thanks for posting, Rossi, great read, and echoes many of the sentiments posted in this thread already. =D>

Young Spanish around his age?

Iker Munian for our left side troubles.
Morata on loan?
The very promising Vadillo from relegation strugglers Real Betis?

but AVB isn't even considering him in that AMC position? didn't anyone read the managers latest quotes where AVB says he plays on the right or the left.....nothing about him being able to play in the hole.

Morata on loan?

Since we need a left back, I'd say Alberto Moreno from Sevilla

Personally I have patience for the lad because I can empathise with his situation. You can imagine what it's like being out with a bunch of lads who you can't communicate with. At my old Sunday league club we had an Italian join us (we had to get FIFA clearance lol), he came out with us on nights out, had his first curry etc, but he spoke a little English. The language definately helps.

I don't doubt that a lot of that is true. The key is adaptation, and one of my biggest hopes is that the fans who go to our games keep chanting his name, even when he's not doing so well.

You know, I've been thinking about how the impact fans can have on players a lot recently (spurred by that furore over the club trying to contain the 1882 movement), and I've come to a singular conclusion. In essence, players tend to remember how the fans react to their performances. If the fans show a player love when he's not performing well or not on the pitch (think Sandro's early career and the time his out injured) the player more often than not responds by forming a connection with the fans and (by extension) a bond with the club that's not easily broken.

Sure, they'll still move for more money or to a bigger club (this is modern football, after all) eventually, but that bond makes it a wee bit harder for them to leave, and might make them reconsider their decision. And Lamela seems like the type of guy who would genuinely appreciate a bit of support through bad times, so it could very well prove to be the case that a show of support now will make him feel a bond to the club that will make it easier for him to perform on the pitch, which will make his team-mates more confident in his abilities, which will lead to better performances, which will result in more support, which will result in better performances, etcetera, etcetera. It's a self-reinforcing positive loop, and might eventually make him feel a bit of the 'cult-hero' love that we gave Freund and which Freund gave back to us, which will hopefully make eventually leaving us when our parent club Real come along just that little bit harder.

We tend to underrate the role of the fan in modern football: sure, as a whole we've been marginalized and abused by the clubs we follow time and again, but the players are in the end only human, and hearing your name sung by 36,000 people can only end up in you appreciating them more, and wanting to make them happy as well. That impact can still be created by fans: passionate, loud fans. We should probably try that out sometime.

Totti is idolised by the Roma fans, verging on mania sometimes. In return, he's never once really considered leaving, even when Madrid came in for him at one point. A club that has only won one title and a couple of cups (plus a few desultory stabs at the CL) in the past decade-and-a-bit has retained the services of one of the greatest playmakers of the modern era simply through that connection the player felt (and still feels) with the city and the fans. There's no reason we can't do that as well.

I don't doubt that a lot of that is true. The key is adaptation, and one of my biggest hopes is that the fans who go to our games keep chanting his name, even when he's not doing so well.

You know, I've been thinking about how the impact fans can have on players a lot recently (spurred by that furore over the club trying to contain the 1882 movement), and I've come to a singular conclusion. In essence, players tend to remember how the fans react to their performances. If the fans show a player love when he's not performing well or not on the pitch (think Sandro's early career and the time his out injured) the player more often than not responds by forming a connection with the fans and (by extension) a bond with the club that's not easily broken.

Sure, they'll still move for more money or to a bigger club (this is modern football, after all) eventually, but that bond makes it a wee bit harder for them to leave, and might make them reconsider their decision. And Lamela seems like the type of guy who would genuinely appreciate a bit of support through bad times, so it could very well prove to be the case that a show of support now will make him feel a bond to the club that will make it easier for him to perform on the pitch, which will make his team-mates more confident in his abilities, which will lead to better performances, which will result in more support, which will result in better performances, etcetera, etcetera. It's a self-reinforcing positive loop, and might eventually make him feel a bit of the 'cult-hero' love that we gave Freund and which Freund gave back to us, which will hopefully make eventually leaving us when our parent club Real come along just that little bit harder.

We tend to underrate the role of the fan in modern football: sure, as a whole we've been marginalized and abused by the clubs we follow time and again, but the players are in the end only human, and hearing your name sung by 36,000 people can only end up in you appreciating them more, and wanting to make them happy as well. That impact can still be created by fans: passionate, loud fans. We should probably try that out sometime.

Totti is idolised by the Roma fans, verging on mania sometimes. In return, he's never once really considered leaving, even when Madrid came in for him at one point. A club that has only won one title and a couple of cups (plus a few desultory stabs at the CL) in the past decade-and-a-bit has retained the services of one of the greatest playmakers of the modern era simply through that connection the player felt (and still feels) with the city and the fans. There's no reason we can't do that as well.

Agreed, and at least at the games, seems the fans have been good to him.

I haven't read this thread for a while, and haven't read any of the recent posts, but can we not all see that this guys is going to be a special player in time? That he requires patience and nurturing, of the sort he is getting right now? It's obvious his value was 10 mill over given our incoming for Bale and Lamela's age, but he will absolutely be a 30 mill player next season. The lad's got some great talent...

Morata on loan?

Muniain certainly has a lot of potential. From what I've seen he hasn't been as impressive in the last year or so, seems like the perfect time to sign him ;)

but AVB isn't even considering him in that AMC position? didn't anyone read the managers latest quotes where AVB says he plays on the right or the left.....nothing about him being able to play in the hole.

“Also, position-wise. In Roma he started on the left then had a wonderful season on the right. At the moment on the right it is not going well for him. So we have shifted him back to the left and at the moment that is where it is working better.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-record-signing-erik-lamela-2897925

AVB is talking about where he played for Roma and where he's played so far for us. I don't think you can state from this that AVB isn't even considering him for the AMC position. I would be shocked if AVB isn't aware that this is a position he's played for much of his career so far.

braineclipse said:
AVB is talking about where he played for Roma and where he's played so far for us. I don't think you can state from this that AVB isn't even considering him for the AMC position. I would be shocked if AVB isn't aware that this is a position he's played for much of his career so far.

AVB said:
"He has played in different positions up front from a young age. When he left River Plate, first he played behind the striker, then on the left, then as a right winger. The experience he has in three positions means he is creative in all three positions."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/239289.html

Back