• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Ok. Soton had more.
Indeed, they had a couple a couple more shots. The way Conte sets up I don’t see he’s ever concerned about opposition shooting more, more about the quality of chances being given up.
What was the xG for that game? Genuinely curious, if ours wasn’t better then that would be far more disappointing. But anyway, disappointing performance regardless…

Indeed, they had a couple a couple more shots. The way Conte sets up I don’t see he’s ever concerned about opposition shooting more, more about the quality of chances being given up.
What was the xG for that game? Genuinely curious, if ours wasn’t better then that would be far more disappointing. But anyway, disappointing performance regardless…

Southamptons Xg was better, something like 2.5 vs 2.

Though that may include the pen

I really don't want Conte to be sacked now, especially if only for a caretaker to the end of the season. I want to see if there is any reaction from the players, or if most of them are fudging snowflakes.
I'd also like Conte to be, as Højbjerg said, more specific, and be straight and upfront on whether he's committed to continue, and what's required to improve.
There is no way this team will play better with Conte in charge. Not only is the environment toxic, but his rigid fudging system is not working. My guess as to why last season we performed better is because he didn't have the time to fully implement his system. He probably worked on the outlines and left the players with some wiggle room. With a full preseason he established full rigidity, which clearly didn't work.

So maybe someone else taking over will unshackle the players a bit and we might see some decent performances again. If Conte is right about the players, maybe we won't. But if the team start playing well, even with Mason in charge, then it's clear that Conte is a more bark than bite. Either way, getting him out will be beneficial in one way or another. And as for Mason, he may be a very good coach for all we know. We only have a 6-game sample size (I'm not counting the cup final) of him managing and he didn't do too shabby. 4W 2L and 14-8 GF-GA. Most of his "mates" are gone, he has another 18 months under his belt as an assistant, and probably more to prove now than he did back then. He might very well surprise us.

Southamptons Xg was better, something like 2.5 vs 2.

Thought that may include the pen
2.5 vs 2.3 on my scores app, which is about right I’d say from watching the game. I thought a draw was a fair result at the time.

It’s another one of those where we played pretty brick and nowhere near what we should be capable of, but still a point was fair. Like Brentford away for a deserved point, or Bournemouth away where we played brick again but deservedly got the 3 points in the end.

think our points haul for the season is about right, but it’s not been pretty.

No. I think most people have missed the point. We dropped points. He is not happy. He wants a reaction. He wants the squad, the fans, the management to understand it is not acceptable - it is not acceptable. He wants to shake people up.

That is the point of kicking off. Do you sit back and accept mediocrity? Not if you are Conte. The detail and logic is not the point. If that is your focus, you're probably missing the point.

Yes Conte needs to combine this psychological shake-up with practical real initiatives - how the side can play better - but half of it is mentality. And he is seeking to address that first of all. After x months in charge it is hard to get people to perform at the top level. Things become mundane. You need a shake up and reset to gain attention and create an emergency to focus again sometimes. It needs complimenting with real coaching but it is a valid way to try to advance the side and alter the mentality.
The thing is, I don't think Conte is that guy. He flaps his mouth a lot, but it's more in the interest of self-preservation, rather than actually effecting change. If he had said "a lot needs to change at this club. The mentality and desire needs to improve and part of my job as a manager is to do that with the players. Unfortunate events in my life this year did not allow me to do as much as I could to help bring this change about. But I know we can do it and I want to continue on this project and get Spurs to be the team that they can be," I would cut him some slack.

In other words, take some responsibility, acknowledge mitigating factors (deservedly so after his personal tragedies) and show that you, the mighty Conte, are up for the tough job. But act like the job is beneath you because you are a "winner" and the team you are managing is not, and you will not effect an iota of change. No one cares if you won at other clubs where you got all the resources and the stars aligned. Maybe in the beginning your reputation will carry some weight. After that they care what you do in the here and now. And in the here and now he has done fudge all other than whine and act like he is doing us a favor, never giving any indication that he too is part of the team.

Conte may have exposed some things about Spurs, but Spurs also exposed a lot of things about Conte. And the more important one is that he is not a winner. Because a winner is not someone who slags off everyone when things go tits up. A winner someone who drags everyone else with him over the finish line.

Last edited:
Has anyone else seen the rumours that Conte actually has a more serious illness other than the gall bladder issue? I saw a tweet earlier from someone on Twitter claiming its well known amongst his close friends and some of his friends in Italian football that he has a serious health issue.

Can't even find the tweet anymore!

Can we please stop with this "we're fourth?" We're 4th because everyone else around us is brick and we have played more games. Come the end of the season we'd be lucky to be 6th, because right now our performances are good for 7th or 8th.
Tell that to the Poch apologists when you point out our position when he was sacked. Agendas eh?

I’d expect to see a very similar starting eleven in the next game, no point giving players a kick up the arse and demanding more if you don’t give them the chance to do it.

If we're just going to put Mason in charge if we sack him, we might as well stick with him until summer. But it might become unbearable.
Unbearable? For who? If people can't tolerate being told the truth, because that's what he did, then so be it. The players who can't tolerate it, are exactly the ones that should not be Spurs players. Conte only said what most of us fans have seen for years, and he's now the 3rd manager that has publicly stated it (Poch and Mourinho the other two, though in a slightly milder version). If the mentality and ambition of the club is going to change, this message must be repeated until we get it right.

Back