• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

View attachment 15312
Jesus Christ...scary stat that.

I hate these sorts of stats - when you're managing the 5th/6th richest club in the league it's going to be harder to pick up trophies than when you're at the richest/2nd richest in the country as no doubt almost all of those trophies referred to in that tweet would have come from.

Conte & Mourinho alone account for the bulk of those trophies - AVB had a bunch at Porto & then at St Petersburg. It doesn't mean anything when you look at little deeper

I hate these sorts of stats - when you're managing the 5th/6th richest club in the league it's going to be harder to pick up trophies than when you're at the richest/2nd richest in the country as no doubt almost all of those trophies referred to in that tweet would have come from.

Conte & Mourinho alone account for the bulk of those trophies - AVB had a bunch at Porto & then at St Petersburg. It doesn't mean anything when you look at little deeper
Exactly....you may have written "managers go to better clubs and win things" and save some ink

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

A few that have none. Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, villa, leeds. All were of a similar size to us when enic took over. Their turnover may not have risen as high as ours but their owners have pumped money into them.

I'm pretty sure none of those clubs have risen in the Delloite money leagues like we have...

Exactly....you may have written "managers go to better clubs and win things" and save some ink

I saw the trophies listed out on FB yesterday and there were trophies on there from some middle eastern league - Ramos? Nuno? It's just sensationalist flimflam to add more fuel to the fire that unfortunately the numbskulls (not you Deano) leading the ENIC out charge lap up

I saw the trophies listed out on FB yesterday and there were trophies on there from some middle eastern league - Ramos? Nuno? It's just sensationalist flimflam to add more fuel to the fire that unfortunately the numbskulls (not you Deano) leading the ENIC out charge lap up
We have won 14 domestic trophies in 140 years. When you stack up the 60s, then that's probably less than one every 10 years, this expectation that somehow we are a shoe in to win things and that suddenly we have gone backwards I don't buy. It's also highly likely that the new found expectation to win more (I wanna win things BTW) comes from ENIC taking the club up the league more regular and amongst the big boys in Europe, something ironic about it all really.

It's undeniable that Enic are a victim.of their own raising of the bar, we wouldn't have managers like Conte and Jose at the club for a start and you can't tell me that if we were still in WHL bumming about from 14th to 7th every year that people would be saying the same things they do now.

I'm not saying they are without fault, before someone jumps in and says that, I'm just explaining what I believe is a more balanced and realistic view of where we are and have come

I'm happy to be called a numbskull as it's quite apt :D

Good points made on the tweet though.

To be fair, if any potential manager was thinking about wanting our job and couldn't see the things Conte spoke about on Saturday, they have no business managing in football.

No one really has much of an issue with most of what Conte said, it's how he expressed it and the reasons for him expressing it that are the problem.

Because Danjuma was essentially free. Instead of giving our manager the man that he wanted for the right squad balance, we instead brought in a player that plays on the other side of the pitch simply because he happened to be =free. Us fans then complain when the manager of our football club doesn't go on an win a trophy or can't manage to finish 2 or more places above our par finishing position.
When you have a hammer everything's a nail. The hammer being that Levy is a penny-pincher and doesn't want to back his managers, in spite of evidence to the opposite with Conte. So whenever we do not buy someone, but get someone cheaper instead, well that has to be the explanation. Zaniolo was not wanted by anyone except Bournemouth and Galatasaray. I find it hard to believe that he was high in the list of what Conte wanted. And even if he was, I would question Conte having an AM as a high priority in January when his defense had been leaking goals the entire season. If I'm the chairman, I would look at that deal and say "I
d rather save for a high quality CB than another player (or the one he is replacing, Gil) that I might have to move on in a year's time."

We've got the 5th/6th highest wage bill and are a long way short of the top 4 wage bills in the country. Why would we expect to outperform clubs spending vastly more than us?
Yeah, you're right. We should know our place and not aim any higher. Especially since no team with a lower wage bill than the top 2-3 teams has ever won anything.

I doubt the source
I reckon the telegraph article this one is quoting is by Matt Law… he literally spends half his time complementing Chelsea and half his time slagging us off
It's so generic it's untrue. People will eat up the headline but the only way it's credible is if the journo has interviewed all perspective gaffers which given Conte is still at the club makes that unlikely....

Which part?

Conte overachieved last season and that the squad isnt all that. I said in the transfer window in the summer when some were claiming we had done the best business in the league (no exaggeration, that was said albeit before the window had shut) that I didnt think our summer signings were all that - they were ok - nothing more, nothing less.

I have seen many posters on here overegg the ability of many of our players, you speak to unbiased people and a lot dont rate many of our team beyond the obvious and it certainly wouldnt surprise me if top level managers think similar.

And this is the crux of it, I'm all for people calling out the poor style of football that has been served up for long periods of this season. But results wise, do I think there are (m)any managers out there who would be doing any better at this stage of the season than us challenging for top 4 and not winning a cup? Nah....

It's so generic it's untrue. People will eat up the headline but the only way it's credible is if the journo has interviewed all perspective gaffers which given Conte is still at the club makes that unlikely....

Hmm, ok. Which part of it do you think is clearly untrue?

The way i see it is that we have has similar number of managers to Chelsea since they were taken over by Abramovich.....plus if Potter did actually turn down our approach in Summer 2021 you then can see that managers out there think why risk taking a Spurs job when i'll effectively be treated the same as at Chelsea only with far less resources and far less chances of trophies?

Even toeing a party line I would expect Conte to navigate Sheffield United with what he had at his disposable and that's hardly a harsh view given the fact they played a second string and the huge disparity in money and wages on the pitch for us still.

I'm as sure as I could be that playing the same team he played against Chelsea and West Ham would definitely have beaten Sheffield United. The league game was clearly the priority for us, until we have some ambition being set from the top to win trophies it will continue happening no matter what manager we bring in.

Those comments are not in context of the wider interview

Jose was sacked because he was tosh

I've gone over the rotation myth on another thread and proven that we went out of most cups in the last 20 years with full strength sides, was pretty much all bar 3 teams, ironically those under Jose and Conte.

He was sacked because he wanted to rest players for the league match to give us the best possible chance to win the final. Even an outside chance of top 4 was deemed preferable to Levy than potentially winning a trophy.

If Finney is going to use wages in such an absoloute fashion to dictate the yardstick for performance then he needs to be consistent and do so across all competitions- LC, FAC & CL (I'd imagine) we have gone out to sides below us wrt to resources
Comparing one-off games to a 38 game season in the league is difficult. Teams with significantly lower wage bills sometimes beat teams with bigger wage bills in games, teams with significantly lower wage bills very rarely finish above teams with significantly larger wage bills over the course of the league season.

Back