• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

The last season at old WHL was absolutely fantastic, but lets not forget the Wembley hoodoo, that wasn't always fun. Not sure what season(s) it was, but there were also a hell of a lot of games where the opposition camped in their box, and we played it side to side in front of them ad infinitum, sometimes losing the match to a sucker punch goal. Poch's last 30 or so games were hideous apart from the CL quarter and semi-finals. Yes the Poch years in general were very good, but I would place the Redknapp years slightly higher, and even Alex Ferguson used to say that team were the team he'd choose to watch in the PL. And yes, I know there were plenty of "we didn't turn up" games under him too.

Did you start drinking early today?

Not only winning things, you can and we should celebrate the great players we have, but there’s also a reason why we look back fondly on years such as 61, 80, 81, 84 and 91 ie years we won something and not 1987 and 2016, the years we didn’t get over the line. You have to nick trophies when you are a good team. You can guarantee ENIC would get most of the credit if we win CL this season so it’s only right that they get some of the responsibility when we don’t win things right?

I agree mate, winning is the pinnacle and no one would deny it, but you can have legacy and heroes without it. People going to say Kane has no legacy? I know he is record scorer but has not won things? I think the idea legacy is based purely on success is ridiculous.

Meant a lot more to me as a match going fan as it meant i was watching a better team week in week out, saw us win more and lose less.

This is it, going to games under Poch week in week out you felt the change in tide, even from other managers like Redknapp, we were machine like for a couple of seasons, playing great football, smashing teams 3/4-0 by half time and there was a sense for me every week walking down the highroad that we would win very game, that feeling moved on from "we have a chance" and never had that feeling before as a fan.

That's a factual part of the story, yes. One can focus on that and not the rest of the story for sure.
What was the rest of the story? That Levy decided he wanted Mourinho more? I have seen plenty of people on this forum talk about Arsenal investing in Arteta through thick and thin. Sadly Enic didn’t do that with Poch, at about the only time there was really some “thin,” they ditched him.

I agree mate, winning is the pinnacle and no one would deny it, but you can have legacy and heroes without it. People going to say Kane has no legacy? I know he is record scorer but has not won things? I think the idea legacy is based purely on success is ridiculous.

He will have a legacy for sure but there will be somewhat of an asterisk that he never won anything in his career. Elite sportsman have always been judged on success and silverware is the main currency of success.

He will have a legacy for sure but there will be somewhat of an asterisk that he never won anything in his career. Elite sportsman have always been judged on success and silverware is the main currency of success.

By those outside the club yeh, those inside and fans should know better and have the context to know he is a hero here

The last season at old WHL was absolutely fantastic, but lets not forget the Wembley hoodoo, that wasn't always fun. Not sure what season(s) it was, but there were also a hell of a lot of games where the opposition camped in their box, and we played it side to side in front of them ad infinitum, sometimes losing the match to a sucker punch goal. Poch's last 30 or so games were hideous apart from the CL quarter and semi-finals. Yes the Poch years in general were very good, but I would place the Redknapp years slightly higher, and even Alex Ferguson used to say that team were the team he'd choose to watch in the PL. And yes, I know there were plenty of "we didn't turn up" games under him too.

For a few months under redknapp we played the best football i've ever seen spurs play.

He has won every domestic French title. Other than PSG not really sure he has been at another club where it would have been reasonable for him to have won trophies. I am certain if he had chosen Chelsea over Spurs for example, he would have won more.

I think you’re over estimating our fans ability to apply logic and nuance!

Or some people just measure success differently? Liverpool fans used boast about their position in the net spend league table when they weren’t winning many trophies. Know that they’ve started to win things again there’s less talk of the financial side of things. Kane will go down as a Spurs legend and one of the great strikers of the PL but I can’t put him no1 in the PL due to his lack of silverware.

Not only winning things, you can and we should celebrate the great players we have, but there’s also a reason why we look back fondly on years such as 61, 80, 81, 84 and 91 ie years we won something and not 1987 and 2016, the years we didn’t get over the line. You have to nick trophies when you are a good team. You can guarantee ENIC would get most of the credit if we win CL this season so it’s only right that they get some of the responsibility when we don’t win things right?
We won something in '80?

Back