• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

But

1) A handbrake off manager could give us a real lift now. We're playing well below the sum of our parts and have all season. Imagine playing to our potential, even just with our current squad

2) The likelihood is we proceed and sign a RWB and a CB for a trio, neither of whom can play when we revert to a back 4 in July. See Royal.

3) Poch and Tuchel are currently both available (and compensation free). Two of the top 10 coaches in the world. Leave it till June and we could end up with a Nuno situation again.
If there's a chance we might want Poch back there's zero chance of him taking a job before the summer. He'd wait for us.

Pool spent big money, took 4 years and had great recruitment
Arsenal may win the league.. will have been with a manager there 4 years
There is a theme that it’s tens time and sacrifice
Both those clubs had time out of Europe I believe in that period
Both also have spent heavily
We’re doing that now but will we keep a manager here long enough…. Not with conte right now
Your also forgetting new money Saudi Sportswashing Machine
But you were saying there is no hope beyond the doping approach...there is and has been.
I'm sure we can spend at Arsenal and Liverpool levels. Yes we would have to be smart with it and have a performing manager.

We don't know how new FFP might play out, it might not level the field but it will restrict it.

Plus Chelsea are no longer doped, that's a big difference to the do as they like RA era.

The one point that does back you up though is FSG and the Glaziers want out. That could be for the competitive barriers you state or could be the end of cheap money and the arse falling out of PE.

But you were saying there is no hope beyond the doping approach...there is and has been.
I'm sure we can spend at Arsenal and Liverpool levels. Yes we would have to be smart with it and have a performing manager.

We don't know how new FFP might play out, it might not level the field but it will restrict it.

Plus Chelsea are no longer doped, that's a big difference to the dovas they like RA era.

The one point that does back you up though is FSG and the Glaziers want out. That could be for the competitive barriers you state or could be the end of cheap money and the arse falling out of PE.
Oh I’m thinking ahead
Very soon the only clubs that will matter will be Arab play things
There is a dingdong swinging contest in those countries
I think they would sell PSG in a heartbeat to get pool or united

It would not surprise me the slightest if we now, for once, decide to turn up for both halves vs City and beat them. Just to make sure Arsenal win the title. Would be just typical Tottenham.

Had that same terrible thought today.

Am hoping we lose in a close game, having put in a decent display.

As I have said a few times, his whole lack of tactical changes and sulky mood just doubles down on things when the chips are down, for a world class highly paid manager I expect more.

The sulky mood seems to be the default position for most of our managers after they’ve spent a while at the club.

Makes you wonder.

The sulky mood seems to be the default position for most of our managers after they’ve spent a while at the club.

Makes you wonder.

It’s a very tough job. All the expectation but you aren’t on a level playing field. It’s like Levy, as many fans do, expects too much of managers.

The problem also isn’t that we don’t spend money on transfer fees. We do. Our problem is the wage structure. Levy, like any good businessman, seems to want to keep wages to a certain percentage of turnover. That’s great but we won’t get top players without paying top wages. Didnt City get Haaland for less than we paid for Richarlison?

A lot said about the formation here and elsewhere.

I disagree that a midfield three would have changed much. Give an early lead to this Arsenal team. Our current 11 with some real underperforming players as first choice. There's no way for me that a 3-5-2/5/3/2 fixes that.

People claim that it's obvious and that Conte should see that. Arsenal play against midfield three opponents rather regularly and do really well. Unless the entire team functions well there's no one formation that fixes things, particularly when going behind early.

3-5-2 comes with it's own issues. We've seen less of them because we've played it a lot less. But that doesn't make them any less real.

I disagree that a midfield three would have changed much. Give an early lead to this Arsenal team. Our current 11 with some real underperforming players as first choice. There's no way for me that a 3-5-2/5/3/2 fixes that.

People claim that it's obvious and that Conte should see that. Arsenal play against midfield three opponents rather regularly and do really well. Unless the entire team functions well there's no one formation that fixes things, particularly when going behind early.

3-5-2 comes with it's own issues. We've seen less of them because we've played it a lot less. But that doesn't make them any less real.

The idea that such an experienced coach hasn’t analysed multiple options is fanciful.

It’s the clearly the best shape for this squad in his opinion.

No, Conte deserves the 5 months to prove that he can improve the team and wants the job. If every time we have a manager goes through a tough couple of months we sack him then we are never going to progress.
I don't think we will win anything and I think the top 4 will remain as is, but it's not set in stone as we seen last year.
Even if I'm right about finishing outside the top 4 it shouldn't be end of Conte unless he has shown he's not really up for the job. He's had to deal with injuries as well as Son and Lloris turning into conference level players. Maybe Lloris should've been seen but if anybody had said in August that Son is going to be this bad they would have been laughed at.

Definitely agree.

Lloris was fairly likely to decline. Would have been good to get a successor in. But we had a lot of problem areas in the summer, priorities had to be made. Can understand him not being near the top of that list.

Conte deserves more time I think. Last season was good. For halves and periods of games this season we're showing what we can do under him. But he needs more pieces.

Change the system (not just formation), go again at building a functional squad that fits together. Hit a rough patch (almost always happens), rinse and repeat.

But Levy and Paratici must be mindful that Conte may have a limited shelf life for several reasons. Recruitment should be done with some tactical flexibility in mind, not just "Conte players".

I think that's possible. I think players like Bentancur, Kulusevski, Richarlison etc can fit in multiple systems. It's possible to sign more players like that.

That’s a good post and a good counter argument. You may well be right. The beauty of being a fan and saying “he should have done…” is that your theory never gets tested. We may have lost regardless of formation.

But, you can’t excuse Partey getting the time and space he got all day and Conte not having a plan to counter it before the game or doing nothing to counter it as it was clear we were chasing shadows in the first half. That’s bad management in anyones language.

But

1) A handbrake off manager could give us a real lift now. We're playing well below the sum of our parts and have all season. Imagine playing to our potential, even just with our current squad

2) The likelihood is we proceed and sign a RWB and a CB for a trio, neither of whom can play when we revert to a back 4 in July. See Royal.

3) Poch and Tuchel are currently both available (and compensation free). Two of the top 10 coaches in the world. Leave it till June and we could end up with a Nuno situation again.

I 100% agree with the above. I fail to believe a more progressive manager couldn't get more from this team, look at Brighton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Fulham. All far weaker squads but getting much more from their players, playing on the front foot. And as i said before, i almost guarentee if Poch or Tuchel came in, you would see Spence as our starting RB before season is over. Conte making a point over him.

That’s a good post and a good counter argument. You may well be right. The beauty of being a fan and saying “he should have done…” is that your theory never gets tested. We may have lost regardless of formation.

But, you can’t excuse Partey getting the time and space he got all day and Conte not having a plan to counter it before the game or doing nothing to counter it as it was clear we were chasing shadows in the first half. That’s bad management in anyones language.
There's other ways to counter Partey outside changing formation e.g. Kane dropping onto him when we don't have the ball.
As I've said elsewhere, attitude and intent is more important.

We all have different opinions about what should be done. But claiming with certainty that it would be better... I find that difficult to buy into.

Partey getting time and space is fine if:
1. We defend well deeper and avoid silly mistakes leading to big chances.
2. We use the "extra man" that leaves us elsewhere to good effect by counter attacking effectively and play through pressure well.

Back