• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

There's teams a lot worse than us won trophies in that time.
Did one team not win the f a cup and get relegated in the same season?
Arsenal couldn't have have been much better than 4-5th favourites to win one f a cup, they've won three.

This is just going over old ground and the point has been explained by several posters multiple times - you're talking about a 14 year period (and the 4 or 5 since leaving WHL on top) as though we were a top side for that length of time, WE WEREN'T, half that at best we were in a good place and we have been a brick team since leaving the old ground, dragged up a couple of levels because we have 2 top class goalscorers - Jols team were 5th/6th best team in a league FOR TWO SEASONS! there was a big gulff between CL and non CL at the time, we have never been a side that should be winning trophies. Well done Leicester and well done Arsenal but that doesn't change anything to do with us, it could have happened just like it could happen this season, there's always a chance with cups but unless you're a top team you can't complain about missing out because you don't have any right to win.

There's teams a lot worse than us won trophies in that time.
Did one team not win the f a cup and get relegated in the same season?
Arsenal couldn't have have been much better than 4-5th favourites to win one f a cup, they've won three.
Outside of the big 5, Pool , Utd, L'Arse, Chelsea and City, and they all have much bigger resources than us, no team has won a trophy and qualified for the Champions League in the same season (Leicester aside and winning that trophy meant qualification). We clearly have prioritized the latter.

This is just going over old ground and the point has been explained by several posters multiple times - you're talking about a 14 year period (and the 4 or 5 since leaving WHL on top) as though we were a top side for that length of time, WE WEREN'T, half that at best we were in a good place and we have been a brick team since leaving the old ground, dragged up a couple of levels because we have 2 top class goalscorers - Jols team were 5th/6th best team in a league that had a big gulff between CL and non CL we have never been a side that should be winning trophies. Well done Leicester well done Arsenal but that doesn't change anything to do with us, it could have happened jist like it could happen this season there's always a chance but unless you're a top team you can't complain about missing out because you don't have any right to win.

Its not always the top teams that win the cups, the league yes, I'm ignoring Leicester, but not the cups.
I have given plenty of examples of that, which you acknowledge, but some how think that shouldn't apply to us.
Maybe our teams have the same attitude as you, we aren't good enough to win trophies, and thats why we don't.

Its not always the top teams that win the cups, the league yes, I'm ignoring Leicester, but not the cups.
I have given plenty of examples of that, which you acknowledge, but some how think that shouldn't apply to us.
Maybe our teams have the same attitude as you, we aren't good enough to win trophies, and thats why we don't.
Iike i said you always have a chance in the cups - Leicester & Arsenal prove that, the point however is there's only a handful of clubs that can claim missing out as a failure. When we start spending the money that allows managers to build squads to fight on all fronts then we can say it's ridiculous to not win something.

Iike i said you always have a chance in the cups - Leicester & Arsenal prove that, the point however is there's only a handful of clubs that can claim missing out as a failure. When we start spending the money that allows managers to build squads to fight on all fronts then we can say it's ridiculous to noy win
We have great chances in the cups until we okay a bogey side. Then we lose

Well what changed?
He came in to us and played the same from day 1
He was playing alongside his mate from home and it helped him settle

Mate Poch improved literally the entire side over a year, anything else is revisionism.

I watched that side home and away and you could see the players growing with him and how we wanted to play culminating in us absolutely destroying Real Madrid and the Dortmunds of the world.

Poch had his faults no one is denying that, he'll he got sacked so that proves he did, but literally his biggest achievement was the improvements he made to our players.

To try and suggests otherwise is disingenuous TBH. Making it sound like we signed the likes of Sneider and Ramos

I don't want to make this a Poch vs Conte thread. But whenever a Poch detractor comes on (and I certainly don't mean you) they say that Poch had the best players and the squad they name is rightly the 16/17 one. They then forget he basically had that squad for one season! At other times he had winks and sissoko, moura, dele, Aurier and a lesser Rose. He still managed to get us qualified for the Champions League and to the final of that competition. So I agree he got more with less than we have now.

For sure mate, but I' d just like to clarify that I am not a Poch detractor and will never be, as evidenced by the fact that I would have him back this afternoon if he wanted to come. :p To me, he was the perfect Spurs manager in a way no one has been before or since. :)

Big game for Conte on Wednesday. Win or bust in terms of giving ourselves a chance to have a breather going into the World cup period.
We played well today before the Lloris brainfarts and then Saudi Sportswashing Machine stood off us and held a good defensive line and structure.
This game vs Sporting is against a highly rated coach and is the ultimate cup game at home. Conte has a generally poor record in CL so if he wins and gets us into the CL knockout stages in February that will be a mental weight off the squad's mind.

Let's see if he has learnt from our game against them and also shows good in-game management to get the win to put us through.

Imo
If we win and play well, much of last week win be forgiven
If we win and play mediocre/are luck then we'll have that nagging sense that we are living off borowed time
If we DON'T WIN...oh boy, not going there...

I honestly think Conte is being slightly humbled by this experience at present; let's face it he's used to working with a much better set of players, certainly in the defensive areas.
The way he was trying to gee up Lloris and Dier to keep doing the passing out from the back thing (even though we know they are mostly crap at it) showed me someone who is really trying to coach this team, even if we currently don't like the products of such..It will be an interesting next few months, regardless of how well we do or don't do.

I think we have to bear in mind that he's not quite at the level of a Klopp or Pep (see his CL record vs his relative budgets he's used to handling) and if he leaves us, it's not a given his next job will be at a club higher in the football pecking order (save for maybe Juve) so in a way he has to show his coaching qualities with us, so we have to bear this in mind when the usual suspects in the media point out anything about his 'contract issue' or that 'he wants to go back to Juve' etc.

I honestly think Conte is being slightly humbled by this experience at present; let's face it he's used to working with a much better set of players, certainly in the defensive areas.
The way he was trying to gee up Lloris and Dier to keep doing the passing out from the back thing (even though we know they are mostly crap at it) showed me someone who is really trying to coach this team, even if we currently don't like the products of such..It will be an interesting next few months, regardless of how well we do or don't do.

I think we have to bear in mind that he's not quite at the level of a Klopp or Pep (see his CL record vs his relative budgets he's used to handling) and if he leaves us, it's not a given his next job will be at a club higher in the football pecking order (save for maybe Juve) so in a way he has to show his coaching qualities with us, so we have to bear this in mind when the usual suspects in the media point out anything about his 'contract issue' or that 'he wants to go back to Juve' etc.
Great post. We are lucky enough I have him, and he is lucky to have us. We are still third, and have players to come back. And hopefully levy will open his wallet in January.

We need two crackerjack wingbacks for his tactics to succeed.

Currently we dont have one decent one on either side.

I actually think for most games in our league we DO have good wing-backs; the issue for me is using them appropriately in the right games depending on the opposition. I see little excuse now for persisting constantly with Emerson in every league game, for example

When Conte says we need time and patience he is really saying we need more transfer windows. This squad cannot cope with important games every few days because with that you inevitably get injuries and fatigue.

Its actually a bit of a catch 22 because this season is a bit of a one off in terms of the congested fixture list due to the corrupt world cup coming up next month. So the question has to be asked if the squad depth needed this season will be needed in future seasons. My view is we do need that depth in future seasons even if playing europa league. Can only hope we now start to make big profits every year which will allow FP and AC to continue to strengthen. I think we will looking at the finances and AC knows it hence why he keeps talking of time and patience.

Many players need to go imo or at best be relegated to back up.

Oblak, Forster
Romero, Milenkovic
Skriniar, Dier
Bastoni, Lenglet
Hakimi, Spence
Perisic, Udogie
Bissouma, Skipp
Bentancur, Milinkovic-Savic
Kulusevski, Zaniolo
Son, Richarlison
Kane, Vlahovic

This season we basically need the squad above to compete in the PL and CL playing every few days because as I said with that comes injury and fatigue in a big way.

We still need to work to assemble a squad like that though even if in Europa. This has to be our target now, to assemble a squad like that asap.

When Conte says we need time and patience he is really saying we need more transfer windows. This squad cannot cope with important games every few days because with that you inevitably get injuries and fatigue.

Its actually a bit of a catch 22 because this season is a bit of a one off in terms of the congested fixture list due to the corrupt world cup coming up next month. So the question has to be asked if the squad depth needed this season will be needed in future seasons. My view is we do need that depth in future seasons even if playing europa league. Can only hope we now start to make big profits every year which will allow FP and AC to continue to strengthen. I think we will looking at the finances and AC knows it hence why he keeps talking of time and patience.

Many players need to go imo or at best be relegated to back up.

Oblak, Forster
Romero, Milenkovic
Skriniar, Dier
Bastoni, Lenglet
Hakimi, Spence
Perisic, Udogie
Bissouma, Skipp
Bentancur, Milinkovic-Savic
Kulusevski, Zaniolo
Son, Richarlison
Kane, Vlahovic

This season we basically need the squad above to compete in the PL and CL playing every few days because as I said with that comes injury and fatigue in a big way.

We still need to work to assemble a squad like that though even if in Europa. This has to be our target now, to assemble a squad like that asap.

He's literally said publically that more transfer windows are needed to get to where we want to be.

Irrespective of this season and the congestion you need a strong first team squad, 16 or so players, in order to compete on all 4 fronts - top 4 is going to be super competitive over the coming years - Saudi Sportswashing Machine will make the top 6 a top 7 so there won't be any margin for error week to week, you need to be super focused and to not suffer on paper too much with 2 or 3 injuries at any given time.

Back