• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I looked at Dier yesterday and, I know he has his critics, but he was absolutely pathetic. Particularly on the ball. Simple 10-15 yard passes, he was launching over Sess's head on several occasions. Now, whatever you think of Dier, he's usually well able to clip a pass like that. For me, it was a sign of tiredness of a fella who has played every minute this season. Either that or he'd been on the vodka and red bulls before the game.

Probably tiredness yes making his flaws multiplied. I
Would keep him in the squad but as back up to a much better CCD such as Skriniar or someones lesser known if FP can find another Romero type.

Kulu, Bentancur and Romero have been obvious successes. Royal has been a failure due to being bought to play in a different type of system. The rest it's a bit early to judge.
Conte has said it will take 3 transfer windows to get everything done. I think it's very unrealistic to expect everything to be done in the two windows he's had with Conte.

On the whole i agree it takes time. But when a) no creative midfielder seems to have been on the horizon or prioritised you wonder actually whether this is how it will be in terms of how we attack and it will never become more creative/daring and b) are we going to take 6 months for any of our signings to get game time even when on paper they should at least offer some rotation options from the start?
If you're Levy, do you ask: what's the point if they wont even get played?

Kulu, Bentancur and Romero have been obvious successes. Royal has been a failure due to being bought to play in a different type of system. The rest it's a bit early to judge.
Conte has said it will take 3 transfer windows to get everything done. I think it's very unrealistic to expect everything to be done in the two windows he's had with Conte.

It would be interesting to know our budgets for each window now the stadium operation is fully up and running.

Lets say our yearly income allows for summer spending each summer of around £150m, how do we work out what we can do in each January window. Is it just what is left that we didn’t spend of the £150m in the prior summer window?

I know there is no absolutes in this but it would be good to have a rough idea of what we can do in each January window as it is a weird transfer window after-all.

On the whole i agree it takes time. But when a) no creative midfielder seems to have been on the horizon or prioritised you wonder actually whether this is how it will be in terms of how we attack and it will never become more creative/daring and b) are we going to take 6 months for any of our signings to get game time even when on paper they should at least offer some rotation options from the start?

Yes Conte doesn’t want Maddison types it seems so we improve in the current system by having better quality players doing the roles others are currently doing in a sub-standard way.

I don't think a creative midfielder is a priority for Conte, If it was I'm sure we could have got Eriksen during the summer. A lot of the creativity is supposed to come from the WBs and
I'd guess that's the area a lot of focus will be on.

I don't think a creative midfielder is a priority for Conte, If it was I'm sure we could have got Eriksen during the summer. A lot of the creativity is supposed to come from the WBs and
I'd guess that's the area a lot of focus will be on.

Hmm, ok. But then if WBs are the focus of our creativity, then why constantly playing Emerson when we/every opponent knows attacks tend to die with him on that right side?

I'd like/hope to think it was tiredness. The time he passed it across our own penalty box for a corner AFTER WE HAD A GOAL KICK was just something else. I think that was the moment the game changed for us actually when i think about it

Jesus, I'd managed to eradicate the memory of that one. Hands over eyes moment, what the fudge was he doing? He's lucky it went by the post.

Perisic & Richarlson have been involved in the team from the beginning of the season. Lenglet, how missed the preseason tour was introduced not long after and Bissouma is now getting game time having missed preseason with Covid - obviously Spence seems to be out in the cold and I'm missing someone else off the top of my head but essentially what I'm getting at is you seem to be overplaying the time it is taking Conte to involve new signings.

And Conte has to be more meritocratic. Those times when Son was beyond awful he should have been dropped instead of Kulusevski. Obviously now Son HAS to play because of the injuries to Kulusevski and Richarlison but imo it set a wrong tone that some can barely get minutes (and if they do and make a bad mistake, miscontrol etc) they'll head back to then bench whilst others still get played when playing poorly AND when there actually are alternatives.

We are paying for that now with the injuries, fatigue and fear of not wanting to drop anyone because the back-ups might be rusty etc. There's no point building a squad if you don't use it more to a) build up understanding of the different ways we might play and different player combinations and b) give some key players a rest

Honestly, if you're Levy you want to see more point in growing the squad...

Perisic & Richarlson have been involved in the team from the beginning of the season. Lenglet, how missed the preseason tour was introduced not long after and Bissouma is now getting game time having missed preseason with Covid - obviously Spence seems to be out in the cold and I'm missing someone else off the top of my head but essentially what I'm getting at is you seem to be overplaying the time it is taking Conte to involve new signings.

It took timne for Richarlison to get minutes as well as Bissouma. Yes, we are seeing it now but why not earlier? Why was Son run into the ground when he was clearly playing shockingly? He's only been benched once. Now we have no choice and GHod help us (and Korea if he breaks down in the next few weeks).
Ditto, PEH, Bentancur.
I'm not even going to mention Spence.
I think we are paying a little for Conte taking far too long to involve some of those (he was rotating Kulusevski way before necessary as well)

It took timne for Richarlison to get minutes as well as Bissouma. Yes, we are seeing it now but why not earlier? Why was Son run into the ground when he was clearly playing shockingly? He's only been benched once. Now we have no choice and GHod help us (and Korea if he breaks down in the next few weeks).
Ditto, PEH, Bentancur.
I'm not even going to mention Spence.
I think we are paying a little for Conte taking far too long to involve some of those (he was rotating Kulusevski way before necessary as well)

Richarlson played the first game he was available i thought and soon became a starter.

Bissouma had covid and missed preseason fitness work - i said this in the post you quoted.

Our January signings soon established themselves in the starting XI.

You were talking about 6 months before seeing new signings, that is clearly is way off the mark - there is no basis for that opinion in what we have seen so far.

For all the talk about poor football we have had our best start to a season since the 60s i believe so there's a bit of the old stick with a winning team logic as well.

Richarlson played the first game he was available i thought and soon became a starter.

Bissouma had covid and missed preseason fitness work - i said this in the post you quoted.

You were talking about 6 months before seeing new signings, that is clearly is way off the mark - there is no basis for that opinion in what we have seen so far.

For all the talk about poor football we have had our best start to a season since the 60s i believe so there's a bit of the old stick with a winning team logic as well.

Ok, 6 months is a bit strong i agree. But the lack of rotating Son (and Kane to an extent) has not been good; when Son was playing poorly instead of dropping him for Richarlison, it was Kulusevski that was dropped! It has been odd squad management by Conte given how demanding he is, how he's talked about 'looking towards the bench then looking back to the pitch' last season.
We are paying now for lack of rotation earlier this season. I honestly think some of the players look shattered, as well as scared...

I agree it looks odd to talk about poor football and how we've had our best start etc. But look at the table and see how we can go from 3rd to 6th pretty easily (remember when we were top with Jose and slid down to 5th/6th in just two games because it was so tight and we were playing similarly in a mediocre fashion?)

Well yeah but they are different points to what i was disagreeing with - i agree that there has been some questionable decisions wrt squad management this season so far

Forster - if Hugo keeps up his current form it might not be too long before we see him as well?!

Richarlison wouldn’t start in our first 11 but he did get rotated in as you say

Ok, 6 months is a bit strong i agree. But the lack of rotating Son (and Kane to an extent) has not been good; when Son was playing poorly instead of dropping him for Richarlison, it was Kulusevski that was dropped! It has been odd squad management by Conte given how demanding he is, how he's talked about 'looking towards the bench then looking back to the pitch' last season.
We are paying now for lack of rotation earlier this season. I honestly think some of the players look shattered, as well as scared...

I agree it looks odd to talk about poor football and how we've had our best start etc. But look at the table and see how we can go from 3rd to 6th pretty easily (remember when we were top with Jose and slid down to 5th/6th in just two games because it was so tight and we were playing similarly in a mediocre fashion?)
Can’t rotate Kane out when his cover is needed to cover another position
It’s easy to forget we had both right side players injured at the same time which means less rotation for Kane and son so more wear and tear

Back