• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

@90291Spur + @DeanoAustin

I do truly appreciate your response to what may have seemed like an almost adolescent rant on my part but I feel like if I get in to it on a point by point basis there’s no real positive outcome, just more of a futility at which the question of the purpose of being a true supporter comes in to question more than than anything else. Like all of us on here I hope that things go well, that was correct at the start of this season as it is now but doesn’t change anything, and never will.

Top four is what we have left to aim for, for better or worse and somehow looking at the table it’s still a possibility so at least thereMs a potential silver lining.
There is no positive outcome at this point. Just more pain and heartache and one more moment where Levy can do the right thing to propel us to the next level (which he hasn't done), or do the wrong thing (Saha/Nelsen, not backing Poch and bolloxing up since sacking him). For me, we have to swallow the loads (yes) of inconsistency that is likely to be the rest of this season and hope (yes) that Conte stays and the Levy realizes this is THE moment.

Keep your chin up, mate!

Slightly off topic, but I would argue that Spurs have the fate of the world in their hands. Because you just know, in the current situation, any hint of us succeeding will bring on a full scale WW3.

So in a broader context it would probably be good to stick with the dynamic duo of PEH and Winks in midfield. :oops:

What changes to the personnel? Kulu in and bentancur (who's injured)? How many out? It's a rebuild. He's only had a chance to patch.

What is giving him brick going to achieve? He's one of the best managers in the world. Have patience. We probably won't get top 4 this season. At the beginning of the season did you expect us to? I sure didn't. So what have we lost? Let him have a summer window to bring in players then see if we improve next season.

At the beginning of the season and as importantly, when he took over. He raised expectations significantly through a very good run at first. Not being able to keep that run going throughout the season isn't really on him.

I still think he can turn our form around and put together another strong run.

Slightly off topic, but I would argue that Spurs have the fate of the world in their hands. Because you just know, in the current situation, any hint of us succeeding will bring on a full scale WW3.

So in a broader context it would probably be good to stick with the dynamic duo of PEH and Winks in midfield. :oops:

You just know that if we'd been 4-0 up in the f a cup final and deep into injury the four minute warning goes off.
S p u r s y.

And Levy still won't get credit for World peace.

His latest comments have made more headlines and suggested he deserves better and won't be here in the summer. That's not exactly what he said but that's how it's being construed.

He needs to learn to shut his mouth. All he's doing is perpetuating a narrative he knows is out there and doing it in a self serving way. I'm behind the guy but his press conferences are becoming very very tiresome.

His latest comments have made more headlines and suggested he deserves better and won't be here in the summer. That's not exactly what he said but that's how it's being construed.

He needs to learn to shut his mouth. All he's doing is perpetuating a narrative he knows is out there and doing it in a self serving way. I'm behind the guy but his press conferences are becoming very very tiresome.

Not saying anything that we don't know, it's not like it's a light bulb moment. We have been average, we don't aim to win things. Maybe he was sold a dream and is frustrated that he could have been at a club that actually matched his ambitions

What did he say? This is the last press conference i could find, nothing in there saying he deserves better.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/conte-levy-bentancur-skipp-tottenham-23291056

Edit - found it.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-antonio-conte-trophies-b2029834.html

Last edited:
What did he say? This is the last press conference i could find, nothing in there saying he deserves better.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/conte-levy-bentancur-skipp-tottenham-23291056

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/0306/1284809-conte-frustrated-by-spurs-failure-to-contend/

Football London amongst others reporting it the same. “I deserve better”, “the club set me no targets” and “I might not be here after the summer.”

Granted, you read the quotes and that’s not exactly as he said but to paraphrase Eric Cantona, you keep throwing sardines and the seagulls will continue to follow the trawler.

Not saying anything that we don't know, it's not like it's a light bulb moment. We have been average, we don't aim to win things. Maybe he was sold a dream and is frustrated that he could have been at a club that actually matched his ambitions

By his own admission, he hasn’t been sold any dream at all, he’s been set no targets which seems a problem for him. I’m getting a little fed up of the narrative of “he’s just telling it as it is”. He’s drawing unwanted attention on the club with this nonsense and it’s self serving because it always has an element of “well I was successful in the past”. If he needs to send messages to Levy or the club through the media, the relationship is obviously toxic.

I’m behind the guy because I believe in him and I believe he’s a top coach. But he needs to wind his neck in because he’s coming across as either a hormonal teenager with his mood swings or the old has been at the end of the bar that can’t wait to tell you how good he used to be.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/0306/1284809-conte-frustrated-by-spurs-failure-to-contend/

Football London amongst others reporting it the same. “I deserve better”, “the club set me no targets” and “I might not be here after the summer.”

Granted, you read the quotes and that’s not exactly as he said but to paraphrase Eric Cantona, you keep throwing sardines and the seagulls will continue to follow the trawler.

By his own admission, he hasn’t been sold any dream at all, he’s been set no targets which seems a problem for him. I’m getting a little fed up of the narrative of “he’s just telling it as it is”. He’s drawing unwanted attention on the club with this nonsense and it’s self serving because it always has an element of “well I was successful in the past”. If he needs to send messages to Levy or the club through the media, the relationship is obviously toxic.

I’m behind the guy because I believe in him and I believe he’s a top coach. But he needs to wind his neck in because he’s coming across as either a hormonal teenager with his mood swings or the old has been at the end of the bar that can’t wait to tell you how good he used to be.

Yes edited my post to add the independent take.

Really don't see anything wrong with what he said.

I think every experience you have got to try and learn from," said Conte. "It is important to be prepared to learn because you can have different experiences, if you don't want to see or you don't to learn and you close your eyes and you stay in your world.

"In every experience you have to be prepared to learn, for sure this is a new experience for me. Don't forget in my past I started at the bottom, I didn't start like other coaches at the top. I started in Serie B and my first experience was not so good. Then I worked for two years in Serie B, I won two leagues before going to Juventus and then to have the possibility to be the coach of important teams.

"Now this is a new challenge for me, for sure you need patience and you know in this moment you can't fight for something important, for what I am used to doing in my past and I think I deserved to do in the past.

"I deserved to stay and fight to win the league, to win trophies because someone gave me something in my career. Now this is a new experience, I repeat I am enjoying these months, we are fighting a lot because we are trying to change a lot of situations on the pitch and outside of the pitch.

"If I get to be honest it is not easy. We are fighting, we are fighting to try and improve the situation, also because I think they ask of me this. I am trying to improve and give all of myself to try and change the situation.

"The situation is here for many, many years, not only in the last moment. We are trying to work very hard, I can promise this to put all of myself to the club and now we have three months left and for sure to have more days to work with the players to prepare the games is a big positive for us.

"For now until the end we have to try and do our best to try and get the best possible position in the table."

"I think that when Inter came to my house to ask me to go there they asked me to win in two years and they gave me the possibility to do what I want," he said.

"I can tell you this. With Tottenham honestly we didn't speak about this. Maybe the target is different because in Italy there was only Juventus, also Milan and Napoli, but Juventus was the first to win nine titles in a row.

"When you know you only have one opponent and also the possibility of the club, you want to win in two years or three years. In two years we won and now Inter Milan is one of the best teams in Italy.

"Now the situation I have found [here] is totally different, we can't compare the situation with my experience at Inter Milan. For this reason we have to be focused on finishing the season in the best possible way then the situation will be much more clear."

Fa cup

"You know very well to win this trophy is not simple. Then you go to play away against a Championship team, like Middlesbrough, but also Luton, I saw Chelsea struggled a lot," he said.

"We have to be disappointed because we wanted to go to the next step, also for our minds the FA Cup would be a possible target. Also for our mind's stimulation to give us something to hope for at the end of the season to lift the trophy.

"For this reason we have to be frustrated, the players and I, for what happened, but I said this after the game, sorry if I didn't show to be very angry, but I don't know now if I have to be angry or not angry.

"For sure I was disappointed and now I understand in every situation there is a part that doesn't agree with my action."

Dele

"I think that it was a good decision for the player and the club. This decision was the best for the player because he wasn't playing, in the last few years he wasn't playing regularly and I think it was good for him to go to another environment and then to have another challenge for himself," he said.

"I think it was a good decision for both the club and Dele. I can tell you that in the period that we were working together I tried to get the best out of him and he was always involved in the training session, but in the end it was a good decision for him and he deserves big respect for what he did for this club in the time that he played here."

When asked why Alli's career stalled, he added: "It is difficult to tell something about this, for sure he is still young and his career is in his hands. He is very young and he has all the time to take his career again. I really think so."

"I don't remember one player that when he went away he came back with a great spirit of revenge. Honestly I don't remember one," he said.

"During my coaching I always try to be honest with the players and give all the players the possibility to show me that they deserve to play.

"I don't remember a player that had their revenge with me. What happens usually is that when players went away they went down, not up."

I think every experience you have got to try and learn from," said Conte. "It is important to be prepared to learn because you can have different experiences, if you don't want to see or you don't to learn and you close your eyes and you stay in your world.

"In every experience you have to be prepared to learn, for sure this is a new experience for me. Don't forget in my past I started at the bottom, I didn't start like other coaches at the top. I started in Serie B and my first experience was not so good. Then I worked for two years in Serie B, I won two leagues before going to Juventus and then to have the possibility to be the coach of important teams.

"Now this is a new challenge for me, for sure you need patience and you know in this moment you can't fight for something important, for what I am used to doing in my past and I think I deserved to do in the past.

"I deserved to stay and fight to win the league, to win trophies because someone gave me something in my career. Now this is a new experience, I repeat I am enjoying these months, we are fighting a lot because we are trying to change a lot of situations on the pitch and outside of the pitch.

"If I get to be honest it is not easy. We are fighting, we are fighting to try and improve the situation, also because I think they ask of me this. I am trying to improve and give all of myself to try and change the situation.

"The situation is here for many, many years, not only in the last moment. We are trying to work very hard, I can promise this to put all of myself to the club and now we have three months left and for sure to have more days to work with the players to prepare the games is a big positive for us.

"For now until the end we have to try and do our best to try and get the best possible position in the table."

"I think that when Inter came to my house to ask me to go there they asked me to win in two years and they gave me the possibility to do what I want," he said.

"I can tell you this. With Tottenham honestly we didn't speak about this. Maybe the target is different because in Italy there was only Juventus, also Milan and Napoli, but Juventus was the first to win nine titles in a row.

"When you know you only have one opponent and also the possibility of the club, you want to win in two years or three years. In two years we won and now Inter Milan is one of the best teams in Italy.

"Now the situation I have found [here] is totally different, we can't compare the situation with my experience at Inter Milan. For this reason we have to be focused on finishing the season in the best possible way then the situation will be much more clear."

I did say, he didn't say exactly what's being spun but...

He knows how the media works. From this they've taken "I deserve to fight for titles and can't at Tottenham", "They haven't set me any targets" and "I'll leave because we only have 3 months left and at the end of the season things will become clear."

It's self serving nonsense. No other manager is feeding this sort of narrative except our manager. Complete honesty is not the best policy when you're a Premier League manager.

I am surprised ( although i should not be in todays game) that supporters take every word that comes out of a mangers mouth is important. Its not and maybe they should take it all with a pinch of salt. To be honest i do not think that his English is that good and that SOME fans read far too much into what he says and maybe they should not. IMO

I am surprised ( although i should not be in todays game) that supporters take every word that comes out of a mangers mouth is important. Its not and maybe they should take it all with a pinch of salt. To be honest i do not think that his English is that good and that SOME fans read far too much into what he

Ideally I'd agree with you. But it's not about me or any other supporter getting upset about what he said. I'm not particularly and said that in my original post. But he knows how the media works and he keeps feeding the narrative that "Conte is too good for Spurs and won't be there long term."

He needs to be more clever in what he's saying. No other manager is giving the press this sort of stuff. That's the problem rather than what he's actually saying.

Ideally I'd agree with you. But it's not about me or any other supporter getting upset about what he said. I'm not particularly and said that in my original post. But he knows how the media works and he keeps feeding the narrative that "Conte is too good for Spurs and won't be there long term."

He needs to be more clever in what he's saying. No other manager is giving the press this sort of stuff. That's the problem rather than what he's actually saying.

Fair enough. as for what other managers are saying in the press conferances i am not sure what they are saying and it would surprise me if many Spurs supporter take that much notice anyway.

As for feeding the narrative again i think some supporters ( not saying you are but some will) fans are probably reading far too much into what he says and making their own narrative from it.

As for the press they will use anything ( even if its not true) to wind some up. Nothing i have heard from him suggests he is saying "Conte is too good for Spurs" .

I did say, he didn't say exactly what's being spun but...

He knows how the media works. From this they've taken "I deserve to fight for titles and can't at Tottenham", "They haven't set me any targets" and "I'll leave because we only have 3 months left and at the end of the season things will become clear."

It's self serving nonsense. No other manager is feeding this sort of narrative except our manager. Complete honesty is not the best policy when you're a Premier League manager.

He has to do interviews. He doesn't have a choice.
Whatever he says they'll spin it.

Just don't read the headlines or the journalists "opinion". Read the question and the answer or watch the full conference on youtube.

He said nothing wrong in that interview. If some fans are so mentally fragile they can't handle it. Then stop reading that brick. But people love a drama.

Fair enough. as for what other managers are saying in the press conferances i am not sure what they are saying and it would surprise me if many Spurs supporter take that much notice anyway.

As for feeding the narrative again i think some supporters ( not saying you are but some will) fans are probably reading far too much into what he says and making their own narrative from it.

As for the press they will use anything ( even if its not true) to wind some up. Nothing i have heard from him suggests he is saying "Conte is too good for Spurs" .

I took it as him saying he'd earned the right to to be at inter and demanding of them. As they wanted to win the league in 2 years. Which he did. He didn't start at a top club but made the grade in serie b.

Says it's different at spurs. Because in italy it was only juve to finish above. The prem is a lot tougher. So we haven't set any targets for his first season. But we'll see in the summer where we are (how we do in the transfer market).

Back