• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

....but this season is the first time he started a season with the same team!

Dwell on that if you will.

Yeah, because previously people have seen something in him and he has been picked up by somebody else..

Peter principle perhaps?

Yeah, because previously people have seen something in him and he has been picked up by somebody else..

Peter principle perhaps?

Is that the one where you are promoted to the level of your incompetence - and then stay there?

Is that the one where you are promoted to the level of your incompetence - and then stay there?

It has similarities, he slowly worked his way up the chain, proving himself time and time again each year, until he got to Chelsea.

What worries me is that he says after a game like we had yesterday, that we played a "good second half" - does he say that to comfort the players, or did he really think we played a good second half last night? We were average at best (and that's a stretch), against a team that would struggle hard in the Championship. We were at home, and we barely created a chance. Lamela's goal was our only shot from inside the box, as far as I can remember.

I'm not sure what people expect him to say.

I wonder when some people will admit that he is doing a good job DESPITE never being able to keep the central player at our club OR secure his number one creative priority...

In the interest of brevity:

Pros: 4th. 20 points.

Cons: Lack of Goals & Flair.

Possible Solution: Patience. Give the young Manager time to see if his methods succeed.

In the interest of brevity:

Pros: 4th. 20 points.

Cons: Lack of Goals & Flair.

Possible Solution: Patience. Give the young Manager time to see if his methods succeed.

to much common sense for some...i think your also forgeting how easy this management lark is. clean sheets easy...fast free flowing football easy.

I wonder when some people will admit that he is doing a good job DESPITE never being able to keep the central player at our club OR secure his number one creative priority...

It would be assuring if he at least acknowledged where in our game we're failing at the moment, seeing as we're not creating much chances at all. One thing is saying the opposition made it hard for us by parking the bus, but surely we should've had some sort of tactic in place to counteract this now, which it doesn't really look like we have. We're playing the same formation game in and game out, although we're struggling to create chances with it. If he went out and said something along the lines of, "we tried increasing the movement up front, moving the wingers into the channel, having the central midfielders push up, moving the ball quicker, but we didn't do it on the day", it would at least give some hope as to what we're aspiring to do. Whereas now, it seems like he is content with the way we are playing at the moment, which isn't exactly comforting, seeing as little we're creating up front.

But, sure enough, patience is key. I haven't turned on the guy yet, obviously, we're still getting the results, we just have not been convincing at all over the last few games. Hopefully we'll click into action soon, create more chances and score more goals.

A good job is about right to be fair. Not bad, but not spectacular either. 5th last season, about where I expected us to finish. 5th again this season I reckon.

A good job is about right to be fair. Not bad, but not spectacular either. 5th last season, about where I expected us to finish. 5th again this season I reckon.

I'm hopeful about having a better second half of the season than the first. If we can keep winning ugly whilst the new players settle into the Premier League we could do really well.

I'm hopeful about having a better second half of the season than the first. If we can keep winning ugly whilst the new players settle into the Premier League we could do really well.

I'm not convinced that the players settling in is what is causing us to play stale football that has lead to a lack of goals.
I think it's avb's tactics that are doing this, his reluctance to be ambitious, play with pace and pass quickly.

What I find difficult to understand is that both strikers who have played this season are struggling to score goals. One is "settling" in the other has been around for years.
If both were missing chances left, right and centre then I could understand this "it'll all come good" and "give the young manager a chance" notion. However, the lack of chances is very worrying. The lack of ideas, width and general movement is worrying too.

I keep reading that avb is sorting out the back line and creating a team that is difficult to beat, he will then sort out the attack. Why is he doing this? Why is he setting us up to be so negative? Isn't it better to instil an ethos of score goals, attacking teams, creating chances even? Why do we look so slow in our build up? It's all very frustrating to watch at the moment.

Surely avb has seen what is happening. Is this his plan? I think it is and quite frankly I cannot accept this way of playing football. It reminds me a little of Graham's arsenal team of old!

I'm not convinced that the players settling in is what is causing us to play stale football that has lead to a lack of goals.
I think it's avb's tactics that are doing this, his reluctance to be ambitious, play with pace and pass quickly.

What I find difficult to understand is that both strikers who have played this season are struggling to score goals. One is "settling" in the other has been around for years.
If both were missing chances left, right and centre then I could understand this "it'll all come good" and "give the young manager a chance" notion. However, the lack of chances is very worrying. The lack of ideas, width and general movement is worrying too.

I keep reading that avb is sorting out the back line and creating a team that is difficult to beat, he will then sort out the attack. Why is he doing this? Why is he setting us up to be so negative? Isn't it better to instil an ethos of score goals, attacking teams, creating chances even? Why do we look so slow in our build up? It's all very frustrating to watch at the moment.

Surely avb has seen what is happening. Is this his plan? I think it is and quite frankly I cannot accept this way of playing football. It reminds me a little of Graham's arsenal team of old!

I think that we'll be fine once Lamela and/or Eriksen settle in. We are just missing someone who can do something unexpected and create some chances for Soldado, both of them are more than capable of doing.

AVB is always going to want to build from a solid platform. It was this solid foundation that gave Bale the freedom to perform last season.

I think that we'll be fine once Lamela and/or Eriksen settle in. We are just missing someone who can do something unexpected and create some chances for Soldado, both of them are more than capable of doing.

AVB is always going to want to build from a solid platform. It was this solid foundation that gave Bale the freedom to perform last season.

We talk about Lamela being young and new to the league, but Eriksen is only 21 as well. Townsend 22. Holtby, Rose, Walker, Chiriches 23. Sigurdsson, Chadli, Sandro, Naughton 24. Paulinho, Capoue 25. Vertonghen, Lloris, Lennon, Dembele 26. None of them have reached their peak yet. This team is only going to get better, not just this season, but for years to come.

From Kyle Naughton's interview with Sky:

Another of your team-mates, £26million summer signing Roberto Soldado, is finding it more difficult to score goals. You get to see him in training every day and do you therefore expect him to soon show his class in the Premier League?

"In training, his finishing is like you would expect. I am sure he will start putting the goals away. We are working in training on giving him the ball a lot in good areas and once we can convert that into games you will see his finishing is top drawer."

Why? What do you base this belief on?

Why? What do you base this belief on?

a year and a half of playing the same way

most top managers by that time show a reflection of how they want their team to play.

an example would be after decades of being a **** unattractive outfit...wenger comes in and arsenal are playing decent football inside of two months

we played one way under ramos and then we got harry and it instantly changed into something better..and by instantly i mean instantly

same thing with santini to jol

i am pretty sure that using ocams razor theory and the theory of a real l life detective like sherlock holmes....its more likely that this is where avb wants to be PRIMARY style wise.

i think avb can commit more men forward in attack, but he doesnt want to risk it right now. i think whats happening out there is down to him and it isnt a gelling issue.

i always use the test of absolutes...if wenger or ferguson had this same team...would we be stale and void of ideas how to get beyond or at least ATTEMPT to get beyond the opposition back line. answer is a 150% NO

oh dear....the football is quite poor tbh, and has been since AVB took over. Its not just this season, we were average last year, at home we had something like 29 goals from 19 home PL games

it looks like another transitional period

Back