• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

I think our lack of scoring goals and drab performances are mostly down to AVB. I think he has a decent enough squad of players.

Presumably he had some say in the new signings -but doesn't seem to know where to play them.
He is responsible for the 4-2-3-1 defensively minded set up -it was the same last season.
He keeps swapping players around in different positions, and in and out of the side.
He is meant to inspire players to perform.
He refuses to get Ade back.

Unless he has sudden seeing of the light conversion I expect much to see more 4-2-3-1 boring possession with no end product football.

Poor day at the office today from AVB. Starting line-up was alright (assuming Sandro wasn't 100% and Capoue was unavailable), but our players came out lacking urgency and determination.

Good sub at half time, went 4-3-3 (will we see that more in coming weeks?) and completely dominated the game and created chances as well. Absolutely not the time to change formation again and go 4-4-2. Makes no sense to me. We had some chances after that too, but we were more dominant and created more before the sub I thought. Lamela for Townsend or Sig who were both average at the very best was the obvious sub to make for me after Lamela's impressive performance in mid-week.

All in all, looking at the performance and the chances either way it's probably one of our better performances at home in the league this season. But Saudi Sportswashing Machine deserved to be ahead after the opening half an hour and that's not really good enough. Even if we had turned it around in the second half, as I thought we deserved, that wouldn't change the fact that the first half wasn't good enough.

The Saudi Sportswashing Machine game has totally shaken my faith in AVB, and oddly, the second half was better than many of our home performances so far this season!

The thing is, he picked the wrong team to start. I already made a thread about our left side; it was non-existent today because we had a pair of slow players down that flank. This is easy for the opposition to nullify, as they'll just push up and get tight, not having to worry about the space being left for slow as our left-sided players are too slow to exploit it. He's already made the mistake of picking two right footers down the left, though he seems to have corrected this for league games now.

Secondly, Sandro was fantastic against Everton. If he was fit enough to play the 45 he did today, he was fit enough to start. Dembele and Paulinho as a partnership isn't balanced. In the summer, I'm sure we all thought that if we played 4231, it would be one of Sandro/Capoue alongside Dembele/Paulinho. This is really basic, common sense imo. He is choosing to over-complicate things.

Thirdly, Lamela -- up to now, I have been fine with how AVB has handled this. But there are times when there are potential turning points for players and they have to be exploited. Lamela played well in the week, got his first goal, a good assist. With Vert at left back needing someone quick infront of him (see how well he did v Everton with Lennon in front), we could have put Townsend on the left and let Lamela do his thing on the right. This was a very low-risk selection, with a massive upside...if Lamela played well, it may have helped us win. But more than that, it may have helped to shape our season. He'd have legitimately staked his place in our "first" team (league games).

Last (and probably least) the Defoe sub. We were on top today in that second half, he could have introduced Lamela....even Lennon would have made more sense. But bringing Defoe on just did nothing for us. It stalled our momentum and didn't solve the problem of our left side.

The second half today showed what a winnable game this was for us. With better decisions from AVB, I think we'd have won. As it is, it's another poor home result in a growing collection. Because of his decisions today, I have lost faith that he will put things right and improve us. It's a turning point in my view of him as a manager.

a year and a half of playing the same way

most top managers by that time show a reflection of how they want their team to play.

an example would be after decades of being a **** unattractive outfit...wenger comes in and arsenal are playing decent football inside of two months

we played one way under ramos and then we got harry and it instantly changed into something better..and by instantly i mean instantly

same thing with santini to jol

i am pretty sure that using ocams razor theory and the theory of a real l life detective like sherlock holmes....its more likely that this is where avb wants to be PRIMARY style wise.

i think avb can commit more men forward in attack, but he doesnt want to risk it right now. i think whats happening out there is down to him and it isnt a gelling issue.

i always use the test of absolutes...if wenger or ferguson had this same team...would we be stale and void of ideas how to get beyond or at least ATTEMPT to get beyond the opposition back line. answer is a 150% NO

Totally agree with you that this is avb's style of play, good post.

Think we will just have to learn to live with it that we are now a very boring careful side that plays what i would call the Italian way. It is not for me so i doubt i will go quite as much. always a yid and will just wait 3 or 4 years till the new coach comes in.

Think we will just have to learn to live with it that we are now a very boring careful side that plays what i would call the Italian way. It is not for me so i doubt i will go quite as much. always a yid and will just wait 3 or 4 years till the new coach comes in.

dont think you will have to wait so long.....AVB will only have a year left on his contract next summer, I dont see any urgency to extend it. I think Levy will make a change instead. GHod knows who he will go for though. The only decent manager Levy has picked in 12 years has been saggy chops and i never thought id say this but im missing the ol' tax dodger

The 4231, the double pivot of useless midfielders in the centre is pure Valencia and Deportivo from around ten years ago. We have a manager that's looking to ****ing rafa benitez for inspiration.

dont think you will have to wait so long.....AVB will only have a year left on his contract next summer, I dont see any urgency to extend it. I think Levy will make a change instead. GHod knows who he will go for though. The only decent manager Levy has picked in 12 years has been saggy chops and i never thought id say this but im missing the ol' tax dodger

You like most i have said this to will probably disagree with this but i would like to see us go for alex inglethorpe. I would give avb a new contract, doubt we will get relegated with him and levy wants a steady pair of hands while the stadium is built and he sells us off for a massive profit.

We are boring boring Tottenham but we are reverting to type as a solid mid table team. Not so bad i still hanker for a little fun but im old fashioned like that.

You like most i have said this to will probably disagree with this but i would like to see us go for alex inglethorpe. I would give avb a new contract, doubt we will get relegated with him and levy wants a steady pair of hands while the stadium is built and he sells us off for a massive profit.

We are boring boring Tottenham but we are reverting to type as a solid mid table team. Not so bad i still hanker for a little fun but im old fashioned like that.

I think it just really needs some tweaking nothing less. Its just too rigid, he needs to unshackle the players and let them PLAY. At the moment theyre not plying but just merely carrying out instructions. AVB needs to be careful as this could turn nasty which would be a shame as he is fairly close to a very good team. He needs to get the **** out of his stubborness and just let the guys play.

I think it just really needs some tweaking nothing less. Its just too rigid, he needs to unshackle the players and let them PLAY. At the moment theyre not plying but just merely carrying out instructions. AVB needs to be careful as this could turn nasty which would be a shame as he is fairly close to a very good team. He needs to get the **** out of his stubborness and just let the guys play.
You think he will change our style of play? i don't.

If we played like we did in the second half today in every remaining game this season...I'd be very happy and we might make top 4.

Everyone needs to relax.

> Not one of our creative players is on form. Soldado, Lamela, Walker, Eriksen, Rose, Paulie, Holtby, Townsend...not one of them firing properly or not playing. Meanwhile, all of Ozil, Wheelchair, Ramsay, Giroud etc. are on the top of their form. Ditto Sturridge/Suarez. We don't have a single one of our guys doing it. Has to change.
> We should have won today 2-0 or 3-0. We really should.
> Our luck in front of goal in league so far has probably been our "bad patch" for the season. It's just come early, which might be good. We cannot continue not to get the breaks.

I think it's still a question of a good team not clicking rather than a pants team performing as best it can.

if he doesnt then things will become tricky for him imo......the fans at home wont be able to put up with this way of playing for too much longer

If we played like we did in the second half today in every remaining game this season...I'd be very happy and we might make top 4.

Everyone needs to relax.

> Not one of our creative players is on form. Soldado, Lamela, Walker, Eriksen, Rose, Paulie, Holtby, Townsend...not one of them firing properly or not playing. Meanwhile, all of Ozil, Wheelchair, Ramsay, Giroud etc. are on the top of their form. Ditto Sturridge/Suarez. We don't have a single one of our guys doing it.
> Our luck in front of goal in league so far has probably been our "bad patch" for the season. It's just come early, which might be good. We cannot continue not to get the breaks.

I think it's still a question of a good team not clicking rather than a pants team performing as best it can.

I would relax if I still had faith that AVB would pick the right team and make the right subs. To not give Lamela a single minute of football today is nothing short of ridiculous.

IF he learns from his various f**k ups today then we may have a chance. But I'm not sure he will. If we lose the next two games, there is some serious pressure on the club. A potential "negative spiral" as AVB might say.

Thats a question of whether he is too stubborn to change get rid of this stuborn nature he so obviously possesses.

I think if he wanted to he would change the style. Even he must be seeing what we are seeing and coming to the conclusion that it just isnt working. The players could also lose confidence dont forget - AVB needs to wise up and fast

Also, Chancer, I don't know how you can say we haven't got the breaks -- we have 1-0 wins v Palace, Swansea and Hull that all came courtesy of slightly dodgy penalties. Against Chelsea at home, we were looking like losing the game until Torres got himself sent off. We have had good luck as well as bad, today was a bit of karma in that respect.

I would relax if I still had faith that AVB would pick the right team and make the right subs. To not give Lamela a single minute of football today is nothing short of ridiculous.

IF he learns from his various f**k ups today then we may have a chance. But I'm not sure he will. If we lose the next two games, there is some serious pressure on the club. A potential "negative spiral" as AVB might say.

:lol: what a dumbass comment he made after the Arsanal game....bit him on the bum didnt it

Everyone needs to relax.

> Not one of our creative players is on form. Soldado, Lamela, Walker, Eriksen, Rose, Paulie, Holtby, Townsend...not one of them firing properly or not playing. Meanwhile, all of Ozil, Wheelchair, Ramsay, Giroud etc. are on the top of their form. Ditto Sturridge/Suarez. We don't have a single one of our guys doing it. Has to change.

> I think thats due to how AVB wants them to play. Whilst im of the opinion you can certainly blame players for poor performances and mistakes, you cant blame them for tactics and inept ones as far as im concerned.
> Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda. Sorry mate why should we have won 2 or 3 nil? They scored, we didnt. All these stats are hindering and masking the issues we have and no foresight of these being resolved.
> Today for the 25 mins in the second half we played very well and created opportunities, in other games, we havent opened up as much like that.

Much more of this dirge and AVB will back in Lisbon. Not just dropping points, but playing crap football.

Also, Chancer, I don't know how you can say we haven't got the breaks -- we have 1-0 wins v Palace, Swansea and Hull that all came courtesy of slightly dodgy penalties.

Agreed...and if you take those penalties away and we had tied those games 0-0, we'd be in the bottom half right now. :-k

@Squawka: Tottenham have scored just 9 goals in the Premier League this season. Only teams in the relegation zone have scored fewer.
...And without those penalties, its only 6

Last edited:

i wonder if who his assistant makes a difference.....at Porto he had Victor Pereira and Porto were pretty attacking, and this style continued once AVB left. At Chelsea AVB had Di Matteo and imo Chels were as boring as we are now, and once AVB left Chels were still cr@p to watch under RDM. At Spurs he has Freund and the Portuguese chap. Uninspiring football again, since the start of last season

Back