• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Based on what?

or is it just a gut feeling?

I agree that Townsend will be second choice by the end of the year because I think that we have better players for that position who are more suited to our style of play.

I believe that AVB is not caught up in the hype because I think that this would be consistent with what we have seen with him before. I think that Townsend is being selected because of his form and because AVB tends to introduce new players slowly and certainly not all at the same time.

I agree that Townsend will be second choice by the end of the year because I think that we have better players for that position who are more suited to our style of play.

I believe that AVB is not caught up in the hype because I think that this would be consistent with what we have seen with him before. I think that Townsend is being selected because of his form and because AVB tends to introduce new players slowly and certainly not all at the same time.

so townsend is playing because he is playing well , but there are better players out there for this system

who are they and why are they better? is them not playing costing us points right now do you think?

and further more , what is our style of play in a nutshell?

so townsend is playing because he is playing well , but there are better players out there for this system

who are they and why are they better? is them not playing costing us points right now do you think?

and further more , what is our style of play in a nutshell?

I think that Lamela will end the season as our first choice right inside forward but that he is being introduced into the team slowly, exactly like AVB did with many new signings last year.

As this isn't a thread about Lamela and I know that you have a lot to say on this subject, I suggest that we take this to the Lamela thread if you'd like to debate this further.

I think that Lamela will end the season as our first choice right inside forward but that he is being introduced into the team slowly, exactly like AVB did with many new signings last year.

As this isn't a thread about Lamela and I know that you have a lot to say on this subject, I suggest that we take this to the Lamela thread if you'd like to debate this further.

I think it's relevant to this thread as it's an example of what seems to be a fairly standard operating procedure with AVB. We've seen similar with Chiriches this season as well as the examples from last season.

Imo it's also been the case that those players have had to more or less "wait for their chance" in that several of them have been introduced because of injuries to other players.

I think it's relevant to this thread as it's an example of what seems to be a fairly standard operating procedure with AVB. We've seen similar with Chiriches this season as well as the examples from last season.

Imo it's also been the case that those players have had to more or less "wait for their chance" in that several of them have been introduced because of injuries to other players.

I agree. I think how he integrates players is relevant to this thread. If on the other hand we are going to discuss the merits of Lamela, we should do that on another thread.

the last couple of games (Hull and Everton), AVB has been a little tetchy after the game, a little bit prickly. I wonder if that is also transmitting to the team. I would love to see a return of the laid back, huge smile AVB - maybe the lads can give him something to cheer about tonight!

the last couple of games (Hull and Everton), AVB has been a little tetchy after the game, a little bit prickly. I wonder if that is also transmitting to the team. I would love to see a return of the laid back, huge smile AVB - maybe the lads can give him something to cheer about tonight!

AVB integrating players slowly is foolish and depressing. So even if we bought a LB and a new striker , he would not play them until FeB/March , that is wasteful and stupid.

Lets be clear.

We have spent about £160m in the last two seasons. Hull have spent a fraction. Put one of us in charge of Spurs and most would be able to beat Hull every time.

In managerial terms he has done very little this season. He has got no result he should not have got. The evidence and results suggest he has got things wrong this season not right.

We are 4th because we have had relatively easy fixtures. Only one hard away and one hard home so far. It will be more telling after the next three, when on current form , we are likely to be around 7th/8th.

AVB deserves 5/10 for PL so far. Best result 0-4 against Villa.

AVB integrating players slowly is foolish and depressing. So even if we bought a LB and a new striker , he would not play them until FeB/March , that is wasteful and stupid.

Lets be clear.

We have spent about £160m in the last two seasons. Hull have spent a fraction. Put one of us in charge of Spurs and most would be able to beat Hull every time.

In managerial terms he has done very little this season. He has got no result he should not have got. The evidence and results suggest he has got things wrong this season not right.

We are 4th because we have had relatively easy fixtures. Only one hard away and one hard home so far. It will be more telling after the next three, when on current form , we are likely to be around 7th/8th.

i bet not, assuming the players did what we told them

Lets be clear.

Net spend is far from perfect, but it gives a much better picture of what is going on than just what has been spent.

If you don't count Everton away as a hard game that pretty much means that only the top 4/5 teams opponents are hard games. 10 games in we've faced the current top 2 teams, both of them considered title challengers. Not sure how much harder you expect the fixture list to get across a season, this seems about average to me.

i bet not, assuming the players did what we told them

Really , Give me/us £140m could we really do much worse? If Soldado is a dud , could we really have spent £25m on a less effective striker?

AVB deserves no more than 5/10 sa far this season. I still have some faith that we will improve, but based on so far he has been poor.

Really , Give me/us £140m could we really do much worse? If Soldado is a dud , could we really have spent £25m on a less effective striker?

AVB deserves no more than 5/10 sa far this season. I still have some faith that we will improve, but based on so far he has been poor.

Mate, the permanent wind ups get tiresome after a while.

Yes, you could do a lot worse, take a look at some of Pool's spending, 35M on Carroll would seem to be more money for a less effective striker, 50M for Torres at Cheat$ki, if you look, lots of examples. And unlike those guys, Soldado's issue is not ability/confidence, it's service.

definitely, you think you are a tactical match to Steve Bruce?

Put one of us in charge of Spurs and most would be able to beat Hull every time.

I can't quite work this Fishwick geezer out. If he is a troll, then how sad to spend so much of his time on a forum of a team he doesn't support. If he is a genuine "fan", then how come 2 points a game is a 5/10 performance? Too much coke?
Question for you Colin, how many times have you been to the Lane this season?

AVB did very well last season, our best in the EPL and it wasn't his fault we got knocked out of the cups because he picked the right players in those games.

We are doing even better results wise but our performances are less pleasing to watch this season. To some that does not matter.

As far as the buys are concerned:
Paulinho 17
Chadli 7
Soldado 25
Capoue 9
Chiriches 8
Lamela 25
Eriksen 10

Paulinho is 1st choice and Capoue and Chiriches look good already
Soldado has won us games with good penalties and Eriksen has had his moments and Chadli looks a decent to good squad player.
That only leaves Lamela who has shown glimpses.

Our only bad performance this term was West Ham so AVB has been doing the right thing from the success perspective but from the entertainment perspective-naaaaah!!

Interesting comment from Strachan just before I posted this about him being useless for a season before being a hit at Dundee.

Reckon I could spend £140M better and employ a decent coach/assistant manager.

After AVB was one of us who got lucky

Which job are you saying you could do better, first team coach or director of football?

Which job are you saying you could do better, first team coach or director of football?

Both by the looks of things.

AVB is "only 36", but he has a lot of experience in coaching and management. No need to look any further than his wiki page to realize this. He apparently got his first coaching badge (C-license) at 17. (source: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/another-feather-in-development-director-fleeting-s-cap-as-largs-coaching-class-proves-its-value-again-1-1701616) "Just one of us who got lucky"

Well it's the best statistical record of any Spurs manager since the club was founded in 1882, so I suppose AVB isn't doing too badly.

Not good enough for some apparently!!!!!!!!

Both by the looks of things.

AVB is "only 36", but he has a lot of experience in coaching and management. No need to look any further than his wiki page to realize this. He apparently got his first coaching badge (C-license) at 17. (source: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/another-feather-in-development-director-fleeting-s-cap-as-largs-coaching-class-proves-its-value-again-1-1701616) "Just one of us who got lucky"

He was also managing an international side at 21 (British Virgin Islands).

Back