• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Yep. As much as it might frustrate, the ultimate reason why we aren't playing Lamela, Eriksen and others in the league is that when they've been given the chance in the last few cup games, they haven't impressed enough.

They've got a chance this Thursday to push for a place against Saudi Sportswashing Machine or other league games, let's see if they make that case.

+1. It is up to each individual player to show they are worth a PL start in games like these.

No it's still just really obvious. Holtby now has the league shirt and Eriksen lost it. Just like Sig lost it after West Ham and Defoe lost it after West Ham. Holtby may not have done that much in the Everton game but Eriksen hasn't made himself unstoppable in the league through his cup performances. So simple. Not about me agreeing with it at all.

If we are going to have a big squad, we absolutely have to play the players that deserve their chance. That means it Defoe has shown great form in the cups he gets a chance in the league, and likewise for anybody else.

Just because it's obvious to you doesn't mean it's the correct decision and everyone agrees with you.

Just because it's obvious to you doesn't mean it's the correct decision and everyone agrees with you.

I'm not saying it's even correct, or that everyone agrees with me, but it's obvious why it is being done.

People are arguing over whether they are alternating games or whether Eriksen alone was made the fall guy for West Ham...it's nothing of the sort. If you play well you keep your place. If you perform well in the cups and your counterpart isn't matching those performances in the league, you get a chance. It's the only way to have fair competition for places even if you don't think Holtby is on Eriksen's level.

This kind of management will earn us points over the season, from keeping everyone on their toes and motivated to win their chance back because they see it is possible. Much more preferable to having someone like Kranjcar rotting away as a player because he knows he won't ever get a chance with us.

I'm sure AVB has an overall plan, but he's flexible enough to allow players who deserve to be starters based on their performances a chance.

Andros Townsend is a case in point.

How many of us before the season started thought he would be a regular first team starter?

Surely what we're doing when we do have the ball is the problem at the moment? And it isn't like we were conceding goals all over the place when it was Eriksen starting?

agreed, but if you are building a house and you are having problems with the roof you don't rip up the foundations to fix it

We've kept 13 clean sheets in our 17 matches in all competitions this season. Last season, we kept 14 in 54 matches in all competitions.

From the Official site, which also tells me we have lost only two of the last 16 away games, and that we are unbeaten in the last 14 games which Sandro has played.

Guys, maybe, just maybe, we are on the cusp of something very special with this season's team....I wonder when when was the last time a Spurs team was so hard to beat? Add some attacking bite and who knows what is possible.....

We've kept 13 clean sheets in our 17 matches in all competitions this season. Last season, we kept 14 in 54 matches in all competitions.

From the Official site, which also tells me we have lost only two of the last 16 away games, and that we are unbeaten in the last 14 games which Sandro has played.

Guys, maybe, just maybe, we are on the cusp of something very special with this season's team....I wonder when when was the last time a Spurs team was so hard to beat? Add some attacking bite and who knows what is possible.....

If I had my way I would sticky this post, indeed, I'd make it a site header! I firmly, firmly believe we WILL develop the 'bite' strategy and that we WILL achieve great things in the coming months (and seasons)…

I'm sure AVB has an overall plan, but he's flexible enough to allow players who deserve to be starters based on their performances a chance.

How many of us before the season started thought he would be a regular first team starter?

Funny, because I think the opposite. I think AVB is caught up in the wave of Andros hysteria and as a consequence, Andros has become a fixture, regardless of form/performance. I don't think he's played that well over the last few games, but he seems to be a guaranteed starter while Lamela sits and waits for his chance, all the time his confidence reducing.

Re: AVB On Reals Madrid's Short List For New Manager

How do you know his confidence is reducing? Sounds like guesswork to me

Don't think AVB's caught up in any hype, but since Townsend played well in his first few games he has earned a run in the team. Think he'll become second choice before the end of the year.

Indeed. Townsend has done very little in 10 PL games, yet he still starts.

He is what he was he was last season, a fringe player to be loaned out to a lesser club . AVB opinion of him last season was the correct one. Why the feck he changed his mind I do not know, but it has cost us.

Just on those terrible shots alone. BAE would have done better with that many shots.

Just how Lloris was a wreck when he started getting games...

Playing Friedel instead of Lloris for the first few games last season, could eeasily have cost us a goal and a couple of points , that would have been the difference between 4th and 5th.

Could be the same this year. Playing Townsend for 10 games has probably cost us goals and probably points. most even his fans accept he is going to end up 2nd choice - why do we HAVE to through this barren spell before he gets there?

Another 3 games and it will do serious irreplaceable damage to or PL position .

94432.jpg

BOW TO THE KING: Villas-Boas has remained unmoved over the Lloris controversy [GETTY]

Playing Friedel instead of Lloris for the first few games last season, could eeasily have cost us a goal and a couple of points , that would have been the difference between 4th and 5th.

Could be the same this year. Playing Townsend for 10 games has probably cost us goals and probably points. most even his fans accept he is going to end up 2nd choice - why do we HAVE to through this barren spell before he gets there?

Another 3 games and it will do serious irreplaceable damage to or PL position .

It also could have cost is points the other way if Lloris had a not too unheard of start to life in the Prem for a foreign gk.

Pointless argument

How do you know his confidence is reducing? Sounds like guesswork to me

I could be wrong. He could be thriving on the subs bench and that, together with the expectation that goes with the £30m price tag, his below par performances and the missed penalty in the shoot-out might all mean he's loving life and his confidence is at an all time high...

Or you could go by the quotes from the man himself where he seems to understand the situation and that he needs to work on a few things/adapt a little bit before he's ready for life in the prem - on my phone atm but search the Evening Standard website for Lamela and there's an interview a week old (maybe less) where he comes across content and very much confident in his abilities and his chances for the future

Or you could go by the quotes from the man himself where he seems to understand the situation and that he needs to work on a few things/adapt a little bit before he's ready for life in the prem - on my phone atm but search the Evening Standard website for Lamela and there's an interview a week old (maybe less) where he comes across content and very much confident in his abilities and his chances for the future
Although it is unthinkable he'd give an interview and say 'my confidence has taken a hit'.
As I said, I could be wrong.

Don't think AVB's caught up in any hype, but since Townsend played well in his first few games he has earned a run in the team. Think he'll become second choice before the end of the year.

I agree

Although it is unthinkable he'd give an interview and say 'my confidence has taken a hit'.
As I said, I could be wrong.

What you are suggesting is guess work. It is entirely possible that AVB explained that he preferred to integrate new players over a period of time rather than throwing them in at the deep end. This might have even been a selling point.

Back