• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

I'm hoping it is a slow start and we come on strong. It's usually the other way round with Spurs. I mean Arsenal have been doing it for years, starting slow and then turning it on the second half of seasons and snatching top four. We have the players, we have the ability, it's just not working. I like to be one of you guys who thinks one day it will magically click into place but at the moment there isnt even any signs of that.

Soldado
? - Eriksen - Lamela
? - Sandro​

Those four should be automatic starters, every week. Simply as that. Lamela, Eriksen and Soldado all like the one touch pass and movement stuff, we just need to decide who would be the best on the left for them. Personally, I actually think Chadli would, he never loses the ball, always seems to get assists and I thought he really worked well with Rose. But I suppose he isn't everyones favourite player. Sandro to mop up behind the creative lot with a host of players to partner him (Dembele, Paulinho, Holtby, Capoue) once again, I don't know who would be best to play alongside him

It is ironic really. Chelsea have got the Special One back --but the fans are moaning about how negatively the team are playing, and being set up, how stubborn hew is not to play Mata, and starting to concede that Mourinho is not so special after all.

We have Mourinho's apprentice, and pretty much the same criticisms.

AVB reminds me of a limited chess player in a championship competition. He has done deep preparation for a few openings, but once he is out of his preparation he struggles.
it is football by numbers - last season it used to be 4-2-3-1 first half at home. 4-4-2 at half time, and then back to 4-2-3-1.

I really hope it changes, but I can't see why it would, it would require an AVB change of mindset, to go against his natural percentages cautious approach.
Redknapp was an interesting contrast, I think he had a better instinctive appreciation of the need to take risks in football sometimes. And I also think, while he may have ****ed some players off, he kept a core of players happy with how and where they were playing. (But we did have Bale/VdV/Modric)

Soldado needs a strike partner. Sort this out, then put a team around them

I would relax if I still had faith that AVB would pick the right team and make the right subs. To not give Lamela a single minute of football today is nothing short of ridiculous.

IF he learns from his various f**k ups today then we may have a chance. But I'm not sure he will. If we lose the next two games, there is some serious pressure on the club. A potential "negative spiral" as AVB might say.

I definitely agree about Lamela, but AVB was unlucky that he had the forced Chiriches sub. We also know AVB is paranoid about injuries in games 2 or 3 days apart and maybe he thinks Lamela is a bit delicate physically.

And for all the stick AVB is getting for Defoe, if in training Defoe is picking up straggly balls in the D and smashing them in for fun, then it really might not have been that disastrous a decision today. That was the kinda thing we needed to happen today.

Also, Chancer, I don't know how you can say we haven't got the breaks -- we have 1-0 wins v Palace, Swansea and Hull that all came courtesy of slightly dodgy penalties. Against Chelsea at home, we were looking like losing the game until Torres got himself sent off. We have had good luck as well as bad, today was a bit of karma in that respect.

I more meant breaks in front of goal. Lamela's goal in the EL the other day was the kind of break we're just not getting in the league.

Or, Remy's goal today - why aren't we getting that kind of break? Soldado is built for chances like that. Krul and Chesney both had great games against us. Today, Paulie twice, Eriksen twice, and Soldado, Vertgonghen, Siggy at least once should/could have all scored. And that's discounting the half-chances, speculative shots and set-pieces that aren't going in either. Pretty much none of them are going for us.

My point is I honestly believe this is a law-of-averages issue that has to turn around.

Absolutely bull****. The guys makes runs all day that no one notices. He needs someone in the middle to look up and pass to him.

How is a strike partner gonna help? He already gets away from defenders so he doesnt need someone to prevent him from being marked. He doesnt need a big name to play off because his game isnt running on to knockdowns. Unless the strike partner can pass the ball intelligently its not gonna help.

I posted this on the match thread:

1) Not starting Lamela
2) Starting Paulinho
3) Not starting Sandro
4) leaving Paulinho on the pitch the whole 90 minutes despite being garbage
5) leaving Eriksen on the pitch the whole 90 minutes despite being garbage
6) Changing formations to 4-4-2 when we looked like we were bossing the game.
7) Putting Defoe on.
8) Playing a high line when friedel is in goal.

So only 8 things AVB did wrong today.

I definitely agree about Lamela, but AVB was unlucky that he had the forced Chiriches sub. We also know AVB is paranoid about injuries in games 2 or 3 days apart and maybe he thinks Lamela is a bit delicate physically.

And for all the stick AVB is getting for Defoe, if in training Defoe is picking up straggly balls in the D and smashing them in for fun, then it really might not have been that disastrous a decision today. That was the kinda thing we needed to happen today.

We were outplaying Saudi Sportswashing Machine and creating chances up until that change though. Why take off a creative player, move another (Eriksen) out of position and leave us with fewer players to dominate the centre of the pitch when everything was working fine at the time? For the chance of someone picking up a lose ball and smashing it goalwards? Makes no sense to me...

If Lamela wasn't physically ready to come on with 20 minutes to go today when we were a goal down and desperate then he really shouldn't have been on the bench in the first place.

Law-of-averages will work out fine for us if we put in more performances like we played at the start of the second half today. But, if we continue to give teams like Saudi Sportswashing Machine the best of it in the opening 30 minutes of games or if we continue playing like we have in some of our other home matches this season then the law-of-averages will work pretty much as it has so far if not worse.

one prem goal in 4 games, a pen vs Hull.

nothing to relax about really, ok we played better second half but when is avb the "young" manager going to learn?

alot of deluded fans in here telling the rest of us to just relax, we have gone backward very quickly so far this season while our manager even had the audacity to comment on the lack of support!
things have gone sour very quickly - where are all those "but we are 4th" comments now?

I posted this on the match thread:

1) Not starting Lamela
2) Starting Paulinho
3) Not starting Sandro
4) leaving Paulinho on the pitch the whole 90 minutes despite being garbage
5) leaving Eriksen on the pitch the whole 90 minutes despite being garbage
6) Changing formations to 4-4-2 when we looked like we were bossing the game.
7) Putting Defoe on.
8) Playing a high line when friedel is in goal.

So only 8 things AVB did wrong today.

1. Agreed.
2. Same could be said about Dembele.
3. Agreed, unless he wasn't fully fit.
4. Same could be said about many others.
5. ^
6. Agreed, the whole bringing on Defoe to partner Soldado when dominating doesn't work, never has, never will.
7. ^
8. Don't think it's too much of an issue, our 'high line' didnt cause us problems.

Soldado has played as a lone forward his whole career. I'm not sure he'd know what to do with a partner.

What we really need is Eriksen and Lamela to be providing him with some quality service

Absolutely bull****. The guys makes runs all day that no one notices. He needs someone in the middle to look up and pass to him.

How is a strike partner gonna help? He already gets away from defenders so he doesnt need someone to prevent him from being marked. He doesnt need a big name to play off because his game isnt running on to knockdowns. Unless the strike partner can pass the ball intelligently its not gonna help.

not only for him, but for the team.....who said anything about him running on to knockdowns?? Emirates Marketing Project, Liverpool, Man Utd dont play high balls for their strikers but currently all are playing with 2 up top. We need more of a goal threat, another striker who can link up intelligently with Soldado will only give us more of a threat.

are you seriously expecting goals to come from Eriksen, Sig, paulinho, Townsend and Lamela? How many have they got between them so far in the PL? So 1 goal from open play from Soldado and bugger all else from the rest. Yeah lets carry on doing what we have been doing up to now.

yes i see that he makes the runs but is not being found. I think he can still make the runs even if he had a genuine strike partner. A strike partner is not going to get in his way. Im sorry but i do prefer 2 strikers. Ive never agreed with the one up top bull****e

Soldado has played as a lone forward his whole career. I'm not sure he'd know what to do with a partner.

What we really need is Eriksen and Lamela to be providing him with some quality service

yeah and he has played in Spain all his career but the football here has other challenges. Ive also noticed that the defending is a far higher standard here, at times he is waiting for the ball to arrive to him but as quick as a flash a defender gets in ahead of him. In Spain he may have had a bit more time. Not here

i just want to see us play 2 strikers. Ive had this discussion with you a long time ago. I know you see two up front as prehistoric, but as i said back then one up top is so boring unless you have a Messi or Ronaldo as an attacking forward

yeah and he has played in Spain all his career but the football here has other challenges. Ive also noticed that the defending is a far higher standard here, at times he is waiting for the ball to arrive to him but as quick as a flash a defender gets in ahead of him. In Spain he may have had a bit more time. Not here

i just want to see us play 2 strikers. Ive had this discussion with you a long time ago. I know you see two up front as prehistoric, but as i said back then one up top is so boring unless you have a Messi or Ronaldo as an attacking forward

2 strikers is fine if one of them can do a lot more than score goals like Aguero or Suarez. We don't have those players. Maybe Lamela could do that in the future.
But is suspect you want to see us play with two number 9s.

Bayern Munich and Dortmund both play a lone striker and are amongst the most entertaining teams around imo. Great players, but no Messi or Ronaldo.

2 strikers is fine if one of them can do a lot more than score goals like Aguero or Suarez. We don't have those players. Maybe Lamela could do that in the future.
But is suspect you want to see us play with two number 9s.

id like it if we could play Ade version 2011-12 up front with Soldado...i dont want two number 9s. Yes a Suarez or Aguero type.

Ive said we should try Lamela, or even try and sign Pato but im not really sure about his attitude and form

We talk about Lamela being young and new to the league, but Eriksen is only 21 as well. Townsend 22. Holtby, Rose, Walker, Chiriches 23. Sigurdsson, Chadli, Sandro, Naughton 24. Paulinho, Capoue 25. Vertonghen, Lloris, Lennon, Dembele 26. None of them have reached their peak yet. This team is only going to get better, not just this season, but for years to come.

Most will probably get worse.

Hudd did not get better O'Hara did not get better, Palacios did not get better Simon Davies did not get better, even Lennon has not got better and ther are lots more

Townsend will not get better, he is getting worse, he had a 3 game peak , if you can call it that. He will end up as a sub at Palace or somewhere like that

Vertonghen is our best player, so if he gets better that would be great. A lot of our players are not that great and never will be.

Back