• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

Average defenders win challenges

Good defenders make interceptions

Excellent defenders position themselves to threaten the pass, so it can't even get played in the first place

Excellent defenders do all three and more.

No matter how good you are at positioning and interceptions you will get into situations where you need a tackle, challenge or physical duel.

You can be a good or even very good centre back without being very good at that stuff, assuming you play in a suitable system with the right players around you. The "cat" role. But that doesn't make for an excellent defender. It's not what we should aim for imo.

Excellent defenders do all three and more.

No matter how good you are at positioning and interceptions you will get into situations where you need a tackle, challenge or physical duel.

You can be a good or even very good centre back without being very good at that stuff, assuming you play in a suitable system with the right players around you. The "cat" role. But that doesn't make for an excellent defender. It's not what we should aim for imo.
What GB was describing to me was Xabi Alonso not a CB

He really is
Just not great at any physical stuff

I think we could "get away with" playing someone less physical and dominant at LCB. Both Dier and Romero are fairly big and strong. Davies isn't exactly commanding physically and it's working well now.

However I'm not convinced it's the best solution. He'll probably cost quite a bit. If we move to a back 4 at some point with him here I would have even stronger doubts about him fitting in so not sure it makes sense long term.

There are other, perhaps more expensive options, but still. If we spend a big chunk of money on a LCB I would like it to be on someone with the potential to be truly great. Given the lack of physical attributes I'm not sure that's him.

We've spent more net each of the last 2 seasons. While being hindered by covid. Not sure we'd spend less after our first season with a full stadium. Extra money from the us tv deal aswell and possibly cl money.
I take it you didn’t notice the £250m deterioration in the cash/debt aligned to the club over those couple of years?

Considering that we already have Romero signing this summer for £40m odd, spending even as much as another £40m net would be quite surprising.

If we happen to qualify for the CL then, yes, I think we will spend a bit more. If we don’t then I just can’t see it, the club funds don’t really support it. An effective £80m net spend would likely be easily in the top 6 for spending in the PL. I do wonder though whether the DoF is recommending a Kane sale to provide a real warchest to complete our rebuild?

The assumption that we’re paying for him this summer
I mean that’s literally what some people are posting

In the same way that talks about how much is spent, net spend, how much we can spend next window is just about always talked about.

I think it makes sense as a simplification. Installments, amortisation, clauses, these things aren't usually public knowledge. A decent estimate of the overall fee usually is.

We don't know how much we're already committed to paying this season and next season for players already here. A rough "net spend" estimate makes sense as a way to simplify and talk about these things. And in that loans being made permanent should be included imo.

I think we could "get away with" playing someone less physical and dominant at LCB. Both Dier and Romero are fairly big and strong. Davies isn't exactly commanding physically and it's working well now.

However I'm not convinced it's the best solution. He'll probably cost quite a bit. If we move to a back 4 at some point with him here I would have even stronger doubts about him fitting in so not sure it makes sense long term.

There are other, perhaps more expensive options, but still. If we spend a big chunk of money on a LCB I would like it to be on someone with the potential to be truly great. Given the lack of physical attributes I'm not sure that's him.
Davies can win headers and also do the dirty stuff. He does that well and descrerely
Pau for more would be a centre of the 3 player

In the same way that talks about how much is spent, net spend, how much we can spend next window is just about always talked about.

I think it makes sense as a simplification. Installments, amortisation, clauses, these things aren't usually public knowledge. A decent estimate of the overall fee usually is.

We don't know how much we're already committed to paying this season and next season for players already here. A rough "net spend" estimate makes sense as a way to simplify and talk about these things. And in that loans being made permanent should be included imo.
We owe out a lot. In excess of £100m in the last figures IIRC

A lot must depend on what we can scrape together for Le Celco and Ndombele. You'd think we might get 50% back - £50m odd using lots of clauses. They are certainly worth 25m each. Maybe with add ons we could realise 10-20m more. Or we could end up with them back at Spurs for pre-season. Plus the likes of Winks who we'd sell if anyone is willing to pay £25m+.

Reaching CL is worth a similar minimum amount, so Paratici won't know what he has to play with yet. It could be + - as much as £150m

I take it you didn’t notice the £250m deterioration in the cash/debt aligned to the club over those couple of years?

Considering that we already have Romero signing this summer for £40m odd, spending even as much as another £40m net would be quite surprising.

If we happen to qualify for the CL then, yes, I think we will spend a bit more. If we don’t then I just can’t see it, the club funds don’t really support it. An effective £80m net spend would likely be easily in the top 6 for spending in the PL. I do wonder though whether the DoF is recommending a Kane sale to provide a real warchest to complete our rebuild?

Levy noted it as £200m in lost revenue. We also issued bonds to raise £250m which are long term. Last accounts we had £144m cash in the bank.
£80m net would be £40m less than arsenal spent last summer net.

We've just brought in an elite manager. Who has a history of walking if not backed properly. Who will be in the last year of their contract. I don't think £40m net will be enough to convince him or kane to stay. We may well do what we did with kulu and romero and loan to buy.
Not saying we will spend city or utd money. But think there will be money to spend. Otherwise what was the point bringing conte in, in the first place?

Levy noted it as £200m in lost revenue. We also issued bonds to raise £250m which are long term. Last accounts we had £144m cash in the bank.
£80m net would be £40m less than arsenal spent last summer net.

We've just brought in an elite manager. Who has a history of walking if not backed properly. Who will be in the last year of their contract. I don't think £40m net will be enough to convince him or kane to stay. We may well do what we did with kulu and romero and loan to buy.
Not saying we will spend city or utd money. But think there will be money to spend. Otherwise what was the point bringing conte in, in the first place?
Where has he walked if not backed properly?
This always comes up
He left Inter after being asked to cut pay. He was backed before that of course
Anywhere else?

Where has he walked if not backed properly?
This always comes up
He left Inter after being asked to cut pay. He was backed before that of course
Anywhere else?

He was also asked to sell his best players at inter.

At juve he won the league for the third time. Was asked what his plans were for next season. Said you can't go to a €100 restaurant with €10 in your. Then resigned 2 days into preseason.

Back