• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

From what little I’ve seen of him he has some talent for sure
Could be anything IMO

I've said before i mostly just watch spurs so don't have much clue of other players. Paratici and conte seem to know what they're doing. Conte knows what is needed for the prem. So i'll trust them.

I've said before i mostly just watch spurs so don't have much clue of other players. Paratici and conte seem to know what they're doing. Conte knows what is needed for the prem. So i'll trust them.
I’ve seen Torino play once this season and that’s it. They have Belotti who I think would be a great signing, Gedson Bremer too who I watched last season and was impressed with

Levy noted it as £200m in lost revenue. We also issued bonds to raise £250m which are long term. Last accounts we had £144m cash in the bank.
£80m net would be £40m less than arsenal spent last summer net.

We've just brought in an elite manager. Who has a history of walking if not backed properly. Who will be in the last year of their contract. I don't think £40m net will be enough to convince him or kane to stay. We may well do what we did with kulu and romero and loan to buy.
Not saying we will spend city or utd money. But think there will be money to spend. Otherwise what was the point bringing conte in, in the first place?
As of end of financial year 2021. We had net financial liabilities of -£1.223 billion. Arsenal had net financial liabilities of -£133 million.

There were rumours that Arsenal's owner had pumped money in last year. I have no idea of whether or not Kroenke really did actually inject any equity into Arsenal and won't be able to verify either way until their 2022 accounts are out. However, irrespective of that, Arsenal have either spent that amount of money because they have taken on more debt (easily possible due to their very low net liability number) or because their owner injected equity into the business. We don't really have the wiggle room to take on more debt and history tells us that our owners aren't going to inject any equity.

I expect we will indeed try to do some loan to buys (though these deals are naturally harder to do than standard transfers) and (more likely IMO) we will definitely structure deals over multiple years (perhaps more years than is usual). Lots of clubs will be struggling to meet the new FFP regulations so booking a decent transfer fee now will be important to them even if they don't receive the payments for umpteen years.

I'd love to be wrong on this by the way, I just don't see that the numbers stack up from looking at the financials.

I’ve seen Torino play once this season and that’s it. They have Belotti who I think would be a great signing, Gedson Bremer too who I watched last season and was impressed with
The only potential problem here is that it seems they will be selling Bremer due to his contract situation as well as losing Belotti on a free due to the same factor. That makes it less likely that they would also sell another first team player unless it was for a very inflated fee.

As of end of financial year 2021. We had net financial liabilities of -£1.223 billion. Arsenal had net financial liabilities of -£133 million.

There were rumours that Arsenal's owner had pumped money in last year. I have no idea of whether or not Kroenke really did actually inject any equity into Arsenal and won't be able to verify either way until their 2022 accounts are out. However, irrespective of that, Arsenal have either spent that amount of money because they have taken on more debt (easily possible due to their very low net liability number) or because their owner injected equity into the business. We don't really have the wiggle room to take on more debt and history tells us that our owners aren't going to inject any equity.

I expect we will indeed try to do some loan to buys (though these deals are naturally harder to do than standard transfers) and (more likely IMO) we will definitely structure deals over multiple years (perhaps more years than is usual). Lots of clubs will be struggling to meet the new FFP regulations so booking a decent transfer fee now will be important to them even if they don't receive the payments for umpteen years.

I'd love to be wrong on this by the way, I just don't see that the numbers stack up from looking at the financials.

We don't need to get into any more debt. As i said last accounts we had £144m in the bank (just double checked and it's £147.6m). I'm not saying we would spend all that on players. But there should be wiggle room. With an extra £20m a year coming from the nbc deal, cl, a full stadium and events. There should be a fairly decent chunk of money to buy players. A £40m net spend would barely cover brining in romero and kulusevski.

Assuming we make the CL in the summer, I could see us doing say 3 main incoming deals for players who would regularly make the starting 11 (say RWB, LCB, CM) in the Kulu/Bent/Romero price bracket, plus Johstone on a free and perhaps a loan CF. So say £105m-£120m spend @ £35m-£40m on average.

If we can sell GLC (looking easier) and Nombele (probably harder), plus if one of our main incomings is a CM meaning that WInks leaves, there's potentially £70m-£90m from main outgoings (GLC - £25m - £30m, TN: £25m - £35m, Winks £20m - £30m). Add to that Royal or Doherty will leave is a RWB comes in given we won't have 3 RWBs in the squad then thats a bit more (obviously Royal worth considerably more than Doherty given age).

So I think we can have a much stronger squad for next year without huge net spend, and we'll likely structure payments over a few years too.

I don't see that we won't be able to do the necessary business in the summer

Assuming we make the CL in the summer, I could see us doing say 3 main incoming deals for players who would regularly make the starting 11 (say RWB, LCB, CM) in the Kulu/Bent/Romero price bracket, plus Johstone on a free and perhaps a loan CF. So say £105m-£120m spend @ £35m-£40m on average.

If we can sell GLC (looking easier) and Nombele (probably harder), plus if one of our main incomings is a CM meaning that WInks leaves, there's potentially £70m-£90m from main outgoings (GLC - £25m - £30m, TN: £25m - £35m, Winks £20m - £30m). Add to that Royal or Doherty will leave is a RWB comes in given we won't have 3 RWBs in the squad then thats a bit more (obviously Royal worth considerably more than Doherty given age).

So I think we can have a much stronger squad for next year without huge net spend, and we'll likely structure payments over a few years too.

No one is paying that kind of money for Tanguy. The only team who would are getting Pogba on a free instead

I think it's going to be a fairly static market to be honest. No one has any money, and players are running down their contracts/refusing moves so they can keep their current/higher wages.

I think it's all going to be about mopping up the out of contract players and then loans.

We don't need to get into any more debt. As i said last accounts we had £144m in the bank (just double checked and it's £147.6m). I'm not saying we would spend all that on players. But there should be wiggle room. With an extra £20m a year coming from the nbc deal, cl, a full stadium and events. There should be a fairly decent chunk of money to buy players. A £40m net spend would barely cover brining in romero and kulusevski.
Our accounting date is June 30th, so given most of the summer business and January window are post that date the cash figure could be reduced. (On the plus side the WHL golden goose has been near full throttle)

As @Finney Is Back says, the wriggle room is limited especially as we owe £170m in transfers (only ,£20m ish owed to us). Of course we don't know the schedule of payments, or amounts that we owe but it's fair to say we have been (understandably) kicking the can down the road a fair bit.

I truly think DL has had meetings with JL and nothing was forthcoming, except the green light to seek outside investment for a small stake in the club, and there were many rumours to that end. That also fits in with DL having the confidence to appoint AC knowing the funds to support ACs vision were forthcoming, whether they are now is another question (eg the connection with the Singarporean guy has gone cold (due to his company taking a valuation downturniirc)), however, I think Levy knows this is a moment and Conte will largely get what he wants even if we have to be creative. Imo all but 13/14 of the squad should either go or be sold if a good offer comes in. That's potentially a fair chunk of income (I know selling is easier said than done as we have seen), plus we can structure incoming players, payments/loans etc to suit us as best possible. It's worth remembering many clubs you are shopping at are in an unstable state, although they will want a fair fee, they're probably flexible on detail as there aren't many customers in the shop.

Our accounting date is June 30th, so given most of the summer business and January window are post that date the cash figure could be reduced. (On the plus side the WHL golden goose has been near full throttle)

As @Finney Is Back says, the wriggle room is limited especially as we owe £170m in transfers (only ,£20m ish owed to us). Of course we don't know the schedule of payments, or amounts that we owe but it's fair to say we have been (understandably) kicking the can down the road a fair bit.

I truly think DL has had meetings with JL and nothing was forthcoming, except the green light to seek outside investment for a small stake in the club, and there were many rumours to that end. That also fits in with DL having the confidence to appoint AC knowing the funds to support ACs vision were forthcoming, whether they are now is another question (eg the connection with the Singarporean guy has gone cold (due to his company taking a valuation downturniirc)), however, I think Levy knows this is a moment and Conte will largely get what he wants even if we have to be creative. Imo all but 13/14 of the squad should either go or be sold if a good offer comes in. That's potentially a fair chunk of income (I know selling is easier said than done as we have seen), plus we can structure incoming players, payments/loans etc to suit us as best possible. It's worth remembering many clubs you are shopping at are in an unstable state, although they will want a fair fee, they're probably flexible on detail as there aren't many customers in the shop.

So you don't think we will spend more than £40m net this summer?

I said I thought the maximum I could see us spending was £40m AFTER Romero (i.e. about £80m in total). Remember that the 2021 accounts that showed the £147m cash in bank also had a bunch of post balance sheet events declared. These will already have eaten into quite a big pile of that cash (and that's before considering either of our two January signings).

I know it would be lovely to be optimistic and assume that we've got a whole load of money to spend but the reality of the finances just doesn't match that optimism.... Unless we take on more debt or have a capital injection we are very unlikely to have a significant amount of money to spend on top of those already at the club but not yet paid for.

Last edited:
So you don't think we will spend more than £40m net this summer?
It's hard to tell as you can't push a button like FM to shift a player. Our outgoing potential is anything from £40m to £120m. Obviously finishing 4th would make a difference on the upside as well.

£40m is a fair guess at what we can throw into the pot before sales. Possibly an extra £20m if we make CL. This is above and beyond our current commitments.

It's hard to tell as you can't push a button like FM to shift a player. Our outgoing potential is anything from £40m to £120m. Obviously finishing 4th would make a difference on the upside as well.

£40m is a fair guess at what we can throw into the pot before sales. Possibly an extra £20m if we make CL. This is above and beyond our current commitments.
That’s my logic
CL adds a few extra M
We have to pay what we have to pay for the players we owe money on
We have saleable assets that we want to change anyway and that where i see the incoming funds happening
But this summer we could sign one of eriksen, bake or Dybala… on a free
Djed Spence is not wanted at Boro and I see him wanting a club like us so he won’t be crazy money (and that would be offset with a sale of Royal)
Rodon could be sold for a profit IMO despite his lack of impact
Sanchez would still get £20m plus IMO
There are some CBS again out there in a free which means the money can be spent on a starter for that role making the first 11 better
Reggie may go back to Madrid and there are players available for less than we get for him so we would be in profit
And that’s before we sell lo celso, write off tanguy and shift other players we don’t want (possibly winks)
Sam Johnstone to replace Gollini… no brained
We can even do deals like Johnson at Forrest on a sale and loan back which would suit them, the player and us
That’s why Paratici is key

Back