• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

It’s been reported several times in various places that there will be significant money to spend in the summer, and that was before we was in with a sniff of CL qualification.

Of course CL qualification makes us a more attractive prospect, but Conte has enough clout and with Paritici working hard I think we will be recruiting very good quality players regardless of CL participation..,,.

I think the Kane saga might start going into overdrive again, more so if we don't get CL. Kane staying will likely influence Conte's decisions on staying and signing a new contract.

Our ability to spend will almost certainly be influenced by CL.

I think we'll be able to spend some money regardless, but how much and how much of the transfer window will be taken up by Kane will depend on CL I think.

Spurs are keen to agree a deal to take Brentford and Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen, 30, back to the club. (iNews)

Tottenham's Brazilian full-back Emerson Royal, 23, says Atletico Madrid have shown an interest in signing him this summer. (Cadena Ser - in Spanish)

Villarreal are to hold talks with Tottenham over extending 25-year-old Argentina midfielder Giovani Lo Celso's loan through to the end of next season. (Fabrizio Romano)

Arsenal, Manchester United and Tottenham have been told it will cost them £67m if they want to sign Uruguay striker Darwin Nunez, 22, from Portuguese club Benfica. (Express)

I think the Kane saga might start going into overdrive again, more so if we don't get CL. Kane staying will likely influence Conte's decisions on staying and signing a new contract.

I think we'll be able to spend some money regardless, but how much and how much of the transfer window will be taken up by Kane will depend on CL I think.

Where would Kane go, now City are getting Haaaland and United wont be in the CL/are likely to blow their load on Rice?

He is crap in the air
Every player fans seem to want can’t win headers and in the prem it’s big issue
Pau Lopez would get battered in this league from crosses and set pieces
So would Gvardiol IMO
Bottman would be fine but personally I’m not sure about his all round game
Belotti I think is great all round and is the one I’d go for

One thing with Pau Torres is we could likely arrange a part-exchange for Lo Celso.

That could be Johnstone, Brereton and Torres in for no real outlay - quickly solving all our priority positions, except RWB.

There will be no Kane saga this summer. If we get CL he will sign a new contract. If we narrowly miss out he wont be kicking up a fuss this time and levy will not be lowering the asking price which is £150m.

If we narrowly miss out on 4th and someone bids £150m then he will leave. Anything else and he stays.

There will be no Kane saga this summer. If we get CL he will sign a new contract. If we narrowly miss out he wont be kicking up a fuss this time and levy will not be lowering the asking price which is £150m.

If we narrowly miss out on 4th and someone bids £150m then he will leave. Anything else and he stays.

I agree with all of that but that doesn't mean there won't be a "saga".

I don't think anyone directly wants centre backs that can't win headers. More that people value different attributes differently.

Not convinced by Pau myself either. Gvardiol is still young, and big, so may improve in this regard?
Of course he could
But I think for the money there are more proven options
And for less money players with a similar upside

One thing with Pau Torres is we could likely arrange a part-exchange for Lo Celso.

That could be Johnstone, Brereton and Torres in for no real outlay - quickly solving all our priority positions, except RWB.
Tru
And he will face done his CL commitment with them

It’s been reported several times in various places that there will be significant money to spend in the summer, and that was before we was in with a sniff of CL qualification.
Of course CL qualification makes us a more attractive prospect, but Conte has enough clout and with Paritici working hard I think we will be recruiting very good quality players regardless of CL participation..,,.
I'm not sure that there will be much money to spend this summer that doesn't come from sales. We already have lots of transfer instalments due to other clubs and not much in the way of payments coming in to offset them. IMO the only ways that we spend significant money in the summer is if ENIC make a liquidity injection (history tells us they won't), ENIC dilute their holding and bring in outside investment to inject liquidity (again history tells us they won't), if we take on even more debt (I think the current level of debt is already bordering on being dangerously high) or if we sell Harry Kane (with him having 2 years left on his contract this may happen if somebody gets close to bidding about £120m for him... I think our interest in Nunez from Benfica is back up in case Kane won't sign a new deal).

With the above in mind (though assuming we keep Kane) and considering we punted off the permanent signing of Romero to this summer, I think we'll have an absolute maximum of £40m net (plus Romero) to spend this summer. To be able to properly compete across 3 or 4 trophies next season I think we need to sign these positions as a minimum:
A backup/rotation keeper
A first choice LCB
A first choice RWB
A first choice CM
A rotation option CF
On top of that we could probably also do with a better option to cover CB/RCB and a creative attacking midfield player who could slot into any role behind the striker. However those are less essential signings.

Last edited:
That is a lot of players to be bringing in with what is likely to be not a great deal in the way of net transfer funds. We therefore probably have to look mainly at the bosman and 1 year left on contract market. My picks would be one from each of these sections depending on budget:

GK. Makes sense to bring in Sam Johnstone on a free transfer. Advantage that he doesn't use up an overseas spot. We can have a look at him in Cup games to see whether we think he might have what it takes to become our number 1 in a year or two and if not then we go out and get a new number in a year or two.

LCB. Schlotterbeck would be my top choice and he only has a year left on his deal. He would still probably cost at least £25m though even with 1 year left. Also might prove difficult to persuade him to come to Spurs instead of going to Dortmund. N'D!cka would be a good alternative and is another with a year left on his deal, probably still costs £25m but might be easier to persuade to come to us than Schlotterbeck. If funds are really tight then Romagnoli on a free would be a sensible signing as he has the right attributes to play in Conte's system.

RWB. I've seen enough of Djed Spence this season to know that he definitely has the talent to go right to the top. The consistency of his performances for Forest probably also indicate that he has improved his attitude. I reckon £15m-£20m gets him if Forest don't gain promotion (I think he will join them permanently if they do) and he would be a good buy for that price and again has the advantage of not taking up an overseas spot. A good alternative would be Joakim Maehle from Atlanta, though I think they would want £30m+ for him. A cheaper option (another Danish player) could be Andreas Skov Olsen, who traditionally was a right winger but is currently doing brilliantly as a RWB at Brugge and would probably cost £15m or so. If money is really, really tight then Juan Cuadrado on a freebie from Juventus would be a sensible signing who would add quality and experience.

CM. My dream signing here is Kalvin Phillips. Superb both in and out of possession. Him and Bentancur would be a excellent partnership for the middle two and a player like Phillips would also allow us to play other formations. Unfortunately though I think he'd be £60m-£70m. However the bonus of signing him would be that he would also provide cover for the CB/RCB spot (as he showed with his superb performance against Kane in Conte's first PL game in charge). Gravenbirch from Ajax would also be a superb signing, and perhaps half the cost of Phillips with only a year left on his deal but I think he will have his pick of the true European giants this summer. If money is tight then Konrad Laimer from RB Leipzig only has a year left on his deal, is probably gettable for under £20m and I think would really suit PL football and Conte's system.

CF: I'd love us to go all out to get De Kettelaere. He has the skill and will have the physique to be a good number 9 but looks to be one of those hybrid 9/10 type players who would be ideal for us. Also has the advantage that he can play from a wide position. If we signed him then we probably have no absolute need for a specific attacking midfield player. I reckon he'll go for a transfer fee of just above £30m and be good value for that. If we can't attract him and/or money is tight then Moussa Dembele has only a year left at Lyon and might be gettable for under £20m. If we've got no transfer funds at all for this position then Andrea Belotti would be a great option, I think he would do pretty well in the PL. Super budget 'just get somebody in' options would be Origi or Nketiah.

So that's:
GK: Johnstone (£0)
LCB: Romagnoli (£0), Schlotterbeck (£25m), N'D!cka (£25m)
RWB: Cuadrado (£0), Spence (£15m), Skov (£15m), Maehle (£30m)
CM: Laimer (£20m), Phillips (£65m)
CF: Belotti (£0), Dembele (£20m), De Kettelaere (£30m)

Transfer fees of a total of £20m up to a max of about £150m depending on who signed.
If we could sign those in bold above I think we'd have a really good squad next season:
Bringing in Eriksen on a free transfer option on top of the above would then be the icing on the cake giving us a reasonably deep, talented squad for the season with there still being spaces available for further additions in Jan and no restrictions on us bringing in more overseas players.

1. Lloris
2. Johnstone
3. Austin
4. Spence
5. Doherty
6. Romero
7. Dier
8. Ndicka
9. Davies
10. Sanchez/Rodon (other gets sold)
11. Sessegnon
12. Regulion
13. Phillips
14. Bentancur
15. Skipp
16. Hojbjerg
17. Eriksen
18. Kulusevski
19. De Kettelaere
20. Kane
21. Son
22. Bergwijn/Moura (other gets sold. Of the two I'd be inclined to keep Bergwijn)

That allows the following players to be sold to bring in some fees towards the incomings: Ndombele, Lo Celso, Royale, Sanchez or Rodon, Tanganga, Winks, Gill, Moura/Bergwign.
I suspect we could pull in fees averaging close to £20m for any of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Royale, Sanchez, Gill, Moura or Bergwijn. I ithink Rodon, Tanganga and Winks might average close to £15m. Should be able to fund good business with that sort of windfall maybe even having enough to try to bring in a real top class left wing back option.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we'll go for another CM. A lot depends on Conte's view on Skipp and Sarr I guess.

I think we'll see 4 incomings (especially as we've got big outlays due on Romero and Kulusevski), something like:

-------------------------Lloris/Johnstone

-----Romero/Royal-------Dier/Tanganga-------Torres/Davies

Lamptey/Doherty----------------------------------------Regulion/Sessegnon

---------------Bentancur/Sarr-------Skipp/Hojbjerg

---Kulusevski/Moura-------Kane/Brereton-------Son/Bergwijn

Outs: Golini, Sanchez, Rodon, Carter-Vickers, Winks, Ndombele and Lo Celso.

The toss ups are probably between Sarr and Winks, and Bergwijn and Gill - i.e. do we loan the younger player again or sell the older one.

I'm not sure we'll go for another CM. A lot depends on Conte's view on Skipp and Sarr I guess.

I think we'll see 4 incomings (especially as we've got big outlays due on Romero and Kulusevski), something like:

Outs: Golini, Sanchez, Rodon, Cater-Vickers, Winks, Ndombele and Lo Celso.

The toss ups are probably between Sarr and Winks, and Bergwijn and Gill - i.e. do we loan the younger player again or sell the older one.
Sarr is nowhere near ready (and may never be). Best thing for him is probably to stay out on loan.

I also struggle to see what it is that people rate so highly about Lamptey. I don't think he is good enough for a top 6 team. If reports of Brighton wanting a £50m fee are true then that would be a terrible value signing, with their being numerous players across Europe far better than Lamptey at close to half of that cost.
I'd also like to see Royale playing at RCB before pencilling him in as cover for Romero. Not sure we can allow ourselves to become that weak with our defending of set pieces.
I also don't think Tanganga is good enough to play for a top 6 team.

Outs: Golini, Sanchez, Rodon, Carter-Vickers, Winks, Ndombele and Lo Celso.

I'd be underwhelmed by that.

I'd be underwhelmed by that.

3rd best team in the league (our record since Conte started), plus two new starters in our weakest positions.

Bentancur and Kulusevski have demonstrated that you just need the right players, not the hyped names (or whatever brick Mendes is trying to push)

Back