• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer fred.

In the case of Reya, we know he's a top keeper with our guy don't get me wrong I'm excited by him but he's more potential. Getting our second option for a less price doesn't guarantee he's going to hit the levels of the outstanding candidate, and talking purely about on the football pitch it doesn't make us as strong. Same with Tapsoba, he looks the stronger candidate over the others who are more potential (that doesn't mean I won't be happy to see them arrive).

We always end up talking about value for money on here as much as the actual quality of the player, and that is what will always hold us back from making that final step that we failed to previously. That was the only thing I was counteracting with, but I am comfortable with where we are and am happy with our recruitment policy since Paratici took over.....

I largely agree with what you are saying, my only thing is I don't personally look at it as value for money more of getting the right players, there is 100% the argument to say that paying more secures that but equally we have gone and paid fees for players people perceived worth it and become hysterical about and its been a mixed bag of success. That's why I don't necessarily peg transfer fees to success anymore.

I largely agree with what you are saying, my only thing is I don't personally look at it as value for money more of getting the right players, there is 100% the argument to say that paying more secures that but equally we have gone and paid fees for players people perceived worth it and become hysterical about and its been a mixed bag of success. That's why I don't necessarily peg transfer fees to success anymore.
Indeed! I guess I'm saying I'm more comfortable with our more recent recruitment setup identifying our main target and paying slightly above, but I don't want to come across as being critical because that wasn't the route I intended on going down.....

Under normal circumstances doesn't mean no, likely means they want more money. Pure guesswork but Villa giving them 50m means they're in a better position now - maybe if we'd gone bigger earlier this deal could have been done.

Yeah.
Means if they do sell he can turn around and say he tried to keep him.

In the case of Reya, we know he's a top keeper with our guy don't get me wrong I'm excited by him but he's more potential. Getting our second option for a less price doesn't guarantee he's going to hit the levels of the outstanding candidate, and talking purely about on the football pitch it doesn't make us as strong. Same with Tapsoba, he looks the stronger candidate over the others who are more potential (that doesn't mean I won't be happy to see them arrive).

We always end up talking about value for money on here as much as the actual quality of the player, and that is what will always hold us back from making that final step that we failed to previously. That was the only thing I was counteracting with, but I am comfortable with where we are and am happy with our recruitment policy since Paratici took over.....
If we only need that one final player than it's fine to push the boat out a little, but when you need to sort several positions pushing the boat out means ending up with a really cheap option (can work out though) or nobody for another position.

If we only need that one final player than it's fine to push the boat out a little, but when you need to sort several positions pushing the boat out means ending up with a really cheap option (can work out though) or nobody for another position.
Is it better to have one position covered by an outstanding player and another position with rubbish or 2 positions not covered by average players?

It's a bit of a thought experiment, I would say it depends on the position. An outstanding goalkeeper would make more of a difference imo than 2 average outfield players. (Not a dig at Vicario, I don't have an opinion on him as yet).

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Is it better to have one position covered by an outstanding player and another position with rubbish or 2 positions not covered by average players?

It's a bit of a thought experiment, I would say it depends on the position. An outstanding goalkeeper would make more of a difference imo than 2 average outfield players. (Not a dig at Vicario, I don't have an opinion on him as yet).

It's very unlikely that we are going to get a player that outstanding.

Unlikely but possible. Son, Toby, Jan, Bale etc. It is possible but difficult. Comes back to the scouting and analysis.

None of them were pushing the boat out signings. And yes, scouting and analysis are crucial. We were good at it for so long and then just seemed to let it fall asunder after a year or two into Poch.
Looks like we're on the right track again in getting the right structures in place there so hopefully, we can pick up some cheap gems like those you mentioned like we used to.

None of them were pushing the boat out signings. And yes, scouting and analysis are crucial. We were good at it for so long and then just seemed to let it fall asunder after a year or two into Poch.
Looks like we're on the right track again in getting the right structures in place there so hopefully, we can pick up some cheap gems like those you mentioned like we used to.

I think we are at cross purposes. I'm not advocating the signing of big names or superstars and I didn't think that was the discussion. I understood pushing the boat out to mean meeting the financial requirements of the desired player. Whether that is a 50m transfer or a 5m transfer. Sometimes a player might be a lower transfer fee but we might still think they are overpriced.

As an example we could have easily thought that 22m was too much for Son considering he had moved just one year earlier for 11m iirc.

What I do advocate for is courage and bravery. Go for players early, aggressively. Some won't work but some will. The ones that don't, you move on and because you haven't spent so much on them relatively speaking the loss incurred is more palatable.

I think we are at cross purposes. I'm not advocating the signing of big names or superstars and I didn't think that was the discussion. I understood pushing the boat out to mean meeting the financial requirements of the desired player. Whether that is a 50m transfer or a 5m transfer. Sometimes a player might be a lower transfer fee but we might still think they are overpriced.

As an example we could have easily thought that 22m was too much for Son considering he had moved just one year earlier for 11m iirc.

What I do advocate for is courage and bravery. Go for players early, aggressively. Some won't work but some will. The ones that don't, you move on and because you haven't spent so much on them relatively speaking the loss incurred is more palatable.

I'm not talking about superstar signings either, all those signings were at a reasonable price.

Agree with you on the go early, that's how we got Bale, Ali, and a few others. Hopefully, with the improvements in the scouting, we'll start to see that again.

Anyone else getting irritated that no new CB has arrived yet, season starts in 2 weeks and most people would agree that it was the no 1 position to strengthen. I'm sure there's stuff going on behind the scenes but whoever comes in will need to integrate with the team and that's likely to take a few weeks at least.

Anyone else getting irritated that no new CB has arrived yet, season starts in 2 weeks and most people would agree that it was the no 1 position to strengthen. I'm sure there's stuff going on behind the scenes but whoever comes in will need to integrate with the team and that's likely to take a few weeks at least.

Yep it's the usual frustration. We've done some good business early doors, won't knock that but the CB position is where we MUST strengthen and looks like we're going into August with nothing sorted.

We've been linked with the same 3 players for what feels like over a month now, Tapsoba, MVDV and the lad from Fulham, either it's all total gonads, we're struggling to move people out before we buy or we're just trying to negotiate these clubs into oblivion.

We do have 5, including 4 internationals, 2 of whom are £40m+ players. It's not completely urgent.

The higher line will help Dier and Sanchez return more to their previous/pre-2020 levels

Not at all. Why worry so much about something you have no control over?

Back