• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my ideals are more coloured by the U21 side I watched years ago featuring Kane, Carroll, Pritchard, Ceballos and Bentaleb. There was a real fluidity to the play and all the players seemed to be well drilled and knowing when to move where, playing some really nice football.

Yep. Realistically though basic maths and common sense tells you that only 1-2 players from each year should be expected to make it

Good read as always. I questioned Ehiogu's ability a month or two ago on the back of his selections and his inability to speak coherently (which you would imagine would impact his ability to coach players) and a few people shot me down. Will be interesting to see how long he's given. Difficult though for outsiders like us to truly have a view on his ability given that any age groups can easily have below average standard of players. Amos though was one who last year I thought looked decent (a Carrick-like player) so not great to hear that Ehiogu has been playing him at full back

Thanks. Windy's post mentions that Spurs and Cheatski have got the best academies (paraphrasing) yet clearly we have some big gaps as we're playing kids out of position to make up numbers and some players just aren't that good... they are good, but probably not good enough... it sounds like we could hoover up talent from elsewhere to fill those gaps e.g. if we don't have a good left back at U18 or U21 don't just play someone out of position, go and buy someone. In fact buy two so there is competition and more of a supply line. But then I'm thinking you can't just buy them, there is compensation and tribunals and they are kids... what is the deal here, can we go and hoover up Charlton etc talent or is it not easy. Would we have to buy their parents a house in a leafy suburb to convince them?

Thanks. Windy's post mentions that Spurs and Cheatski have got the best academies (paraphrasing) yet clearly we have some big gaps as we're playing kids out of position to make up numbers and some players just aren't that good... they are good, but probably not good enough... it sounds like we could hoover up talent from elsewhere to fill those gaps e.g. if we don't have a good left back at U18 or U21 don't just play someone out of position, go and buy someone. In fact buy two so there is competition and more of a supply line. But then I'm thinking you can't just buy them, there is compensation and tribunals and they are kids... what is the deal here, can we go and hoover up Charlton etc talent or is it not easy. Would we have to buy their parents a house in a leafy suburb to convince them?

"Hoovering up talents" can clearly be expensive. Both in compensation/tribunals, but also wages. Personally I've thought for some time that youngsters getting big moves and big wages early can hinder their development as it gives them a sense of having made it already. Our approach keeps wages down, perhaps not only for the immediate financial benefit of the club, but it makes our youth squads perhaps a bit more hungry?

I'm also not convinced that those gaps you talk about at u21 level is a problem. You describe playing players "out of position", but these players are so young that even knowing what their best position will be is difficult. And even in those cases where one knows the experience of playing different positions can be important. This is a lot closer to the Ajax total football model that produced Vertonghen and Alderweireld for me.

I also think having too much competition for places at that level can be detrimental. It's important that the youth players see a potential path into the first team, and it's important that we able to actually give those young players game time. Having too many players fall by the wayside, or too many players competing for first team football can have a negative impact on motivation imo.

"Hoovering up talents" can clearly be expensive. Both in compensation/tribunals, but also wages. Personally I've thought for some time that youngsters getting big moves and big wages early can hinder their development as it gives them a sense of having made it already. Our approach keeps wages down, perhaps not only for the immediate financial benefit of the club, but it makes our youth squads perhaps a bit more hungry?

I'm also not convinced that those gaps you talk about at u21 level is a problem. You describe playing players "out of position", but these players are so young that even knowing what their best position will be is difficult. And even in those cases where one knows the experience of playing different positions can be important. This is a lot closer to the Ajax total football model that produced Vertonghen and Alderweireld for me.

I also think having too much competition for places at that level can be detrimental. It's important that the youth players see a potential path into the first team, and it's important that we able to actually give those young players game time. Having too many players fall by the wayside, or too many players competing for first team football can have a negative impact on motivation imo.

You are also lucky if 2 from each annual intake of 12/14 gets senior contacts. The balance of the team doesn't matter at all so long those 2 are good enough to pushing into the first team squad.

You are also lucky if 2 from each annual intake of 12/14 gets senior contacts. The balance of the team doesn't matter at all so long those 2 are good enough to pushing into the first team squad.

Bingo, I used to show the kids I had to work with a piece that Paul Hart wrote about the chances of good kids actually being good/lucky enough to make the grade. So many kids make it into the academys thinking they have already made the grade but in reality its far from that.

I wish I could find that piece because the numbers ( which were correct) are staggering of those that either leave the game or end up playing non lge.

Bingo, I used to show the kids I had to work with a piece that Paul Hart wrote about the chances of good kids actually being good/lucky enough to make the grade. So many kids make it into the academys thinking they have already made the grade but in reality its far from that.

I wish I could find that piece because the numbers ( which were correct) are staggering of those that either leave the game or end up playing non lge.

I think you'd be surprised how many Spurs youth academy graduates are currently playing in the Premier and football leagues - around 45-50 by my last count. Considering each intake is usually around 12-15 then we're not doing too bad on that front.

I think you'd be surprised how many Spurs youth academy graduates are currently playing in the Premier and football leagues - around 45-50 by my last count. Considering each intake is usually around 12-15 then we're not doing too bad on that front.

Fair enough, I am no doubting your numbers mate. I was talking generally over the pro game rather then us as a example. The number of players that are taken to the academys overall amounts to hundreds and very few of that number go on and make a real living out of it.

Fair enough, I am no doubting your numbers mate. I was talking generally over the pro game rather then us as a example. The number of players that are taken to the academys overall amounts to hundreds and very few of that number go on and make a real living out of it.

Very true, so many kids just give up once they don't make at a league club, at one time my firms team had 5 players who had been at league clubs, one was captain of Chelsea youth team and played for England Youth.

I think you're both right. Spurs do a bit better than your average club, but the overall numbers would probably scare some young players.

I also think we've been quite good in the past in that we've been giving your young players that aren't going to make it with us a fair chance to make it elsewhere. Simon Dawkins being a good example. I think it gives a good overall package to young players knowing that even if they don't become good enough for our first team as long as they work hard and try their best we won't just leave them by the wayside all of a sudden, we'll help them out and give them a career at a lower level if we can.

A (small) part of what should make us a very attractive place to come for a talented young player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back