• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...es-dominic-ball-for-midfield-switch-1-4020552
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport...rgets_Ibrox_silverware_ahead_of_Spurs_return/

Dominic Ball's apparently been impressing at Rangers, and he's also apparently been put into a defensive midfield position when he hasn't been used at centre-back, which bears striking similarities to how Dier's been used this season. I also like the attitude he shows in that second article, always wanting to improve and openly admitting that there are things he knows he isn't great at that he works on everyday.

Does anyone here(who's kept an eye on him, I mean) think he's good enough to be first-team material next season? Like, backup for Dier?

He's looked good when I've seen him - calm and composed, doesn't go to ground too quickly. What I like about the way we play now though is that we actually have a system in place so players can more easily stand in for someone who is injured without there being a huge difference. I do think Ball has a chance next year to become a back-up for Dier, along with Bentaleb

Who in particular stands out in that group?

Tashan Oakley-Boothe is probably the main one, primarily a DM/CM but I've seen him play CB, RW and AM at times too. Physically and technically very strong, I think he will be the Onomah/Edwards of the group, he looks to have all you'd want in a young player. He's played a little bit for the u18s this season but will be full time next year, I expect he'll progress quite quickly as he can handle himself against bigger and stronger opponents.

He's looked good when I've seen him - calm and composed, doesn't go to ground too quickly. What I like about the way we play now though is that we actually have a system in place so players can more easily stand in for someone who is injured without there being a huge difference. I do think Ball has a chance next year to become a back-up for Dier, along with Bentaleb

This is what Arsenal did so well for years, even if the young players were not great the backup well so well drilled with the system that it had no negative impact on the first team and allowed them to compete at the top of the league for many years.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/e...c-bid-to-rival-manchester-city-and-tottenham/

It wasn't too long ago that all eyes were on the Arsenal academy. The piece does highlight our reputation for creating first team players, though worrying talks about Emirates Marketing Project having the resources to just hoover up what talent they want.

A lot of our success has been with actual academy graduates - players that weren't signed as the fairly high profile 16-18 year olds City now try to hoover up. Another success has been low profile signings like Bentaleb.

City and Chelsea have demonstrated for quite some time that just hoovering up talent isn't enough. You need to actually develop that talent and you need to have some plan in place for how to integrate those players into the first team. Neither City or Chelsea have looked anywhere near capable of doing that. Perhaps Guardiola will change it a bit at City, perhaps...

But there will still be plenty of talented players around for our academy and development squad to do their top notch work with.

A lot of our success has been with actual academy graduates - players that weren't signed as the fairly high profile 16-18 year olds City now try to hoover up. Another success has been low profile signings like Bentaleb.

City and Chelsea have demonstrated for quite some time that just hoovering up talent isn't enough. You need to actually develop that talent and you need to have some plan in place for how to integrate those players into the first team. Neither City or Chelsea have looked anywhere near capable of doing that. Perhaps Guardiola will change it a bit at City, perhaps...

But there will still be plenty of talented players around for our academy and development squad to do their top notch work with.

With the directors in place as well as Pep, it seems like they may be having a real go at sorting out this development stage, the facilities are in place. One positive is that it takes tim to put this in place, I believe they will spend, but on only a few key quality players and then attempt to slowly revamp the squad with youth. It takes patience as we've seen with ourselves, and I think it's easier to do it without such a weight of expectation but it will be interesting to see.

Just seeing Adam Smith for Bournemouth this season it makes me realise that quite a bit of talent has been developed, obviously not everyone is going to work out with us but the odd transfer fee here and there alongside the odd Kane/Mason/Onomah sounds pretty good to me.

With the directors in place as well as Pep, it seems like they may be having a real go at sorting out this development stage, the facilities are in place. One positive is that it takes tim to put this in place, I believe they will spend, but on only a few key quality players and then attempt to slowly revamp the squad with youth. It takes patience as we've seen with ourselves, and I think it's easier to do it without such a weight of expectation but it will be interesting to see.

Just seeing Adam Smith for Bournemouth this season it makes me realise that quite a bit of talent has been developed, obviously not everyone is going to work out with us but the odd transfer fee here and there alongside the odd Kane/Mason/Onomah sounds pretty good to me.

I definitely think they're trying. And credit to them for that. But the challenge posed will be a different one for Pep compared to what he had at Barca and Bayern. Not least compared to Bayern where in Bundesliga with Dortmund not at their very best under Klopp they've pretty much walked the league and introducing young players becomes a lot easier. At Barca similarly I think there were enough games where they were so dominant that introducing younger players becomes more comfortable than it's likely to be for City next season in the PL.

I definitely think they're trying. And credit to them for that. But the challenge posed will be a different one for Pep compared to what he had at Barca and Bayern. Not least compared to Bayern where in Bundesliga with Dortmund not at their very best under Klopp they've pretty much walked the league and introducing young players becomes a lot easier. At Barca similarly I think there were enough games where they were so dominant that introducing younger players becomes more comfortable than it's likely to be for City next season in the PL.

Good points, and with how newly promoted clubs or mid range teams seem able to beat anyone it will be difficult to implement changes whilst looking to hit the ground running. It won't kick in all of a sudden for the U21 to start producing Zidanes so they'll have to be patient. I can definitely see Toure being replaced by Pogba but I don't want to drag this thread further off topic!

Not been following it as much as I would like to, how has Marcus Edwards been getting on this season?

Not been following it as much as I would like to, how has Marcus Edwards been getting on this season?

He's progressing nicely, mainly been played wide right this season as opposed to his favoured #10 position, presumably to improve the defensive side of his game. I'd like him to start being involved with the u21s now though to really see him push on. Onomah, Winks and Bentaleb are in the squad tonight to face Southampton according to Windy so I really hope Edwards is there too as it'd be great to see him alongside those three.

Spurs U21s (v Southampton): McGee, Walker-Peters, Georgiou, Amos, Carter-Vickers, Bentaleb (c), Miller, Winks, Harrison, Onomah, Walkes.

Subs: Lesniak, Goddard, Sonupe, Voss (GK).

Bentaleb in the under 21's? this for fitness?

Can't believe there is no stream for this. They have Wimbledon vs Chelsea under 19's but not 2 of the best youth teams in the country? ridiculous.

Bentaleb in the under 21's? this for fitness?

Can't believe there is no cat video on youtube for this. They have Wimbledon vs Chelsea under 19's but not 2 of the best youth teams in the country? ridiculous.

Onomah is also playing. Bentaleb hasn't really played much this season so makes sense for him to get some games

I've just watched the last 20 minutes of the U21 game, so I have a limited amount to say on it. At that stage we were 1-0 down, but Bentaleb equalised after finishing a decent counter that he started, involving both Onomah and Sonupe. The U21's do play a different game to the senior side, there is no Dier sitting deep and giving the midfield more freedom to push high and control from there. It looked like more of a double pivot in which neither Bentaleb nor Winks looked defensively solid.

The good
--------------
CCV and Amos both read play well and intercepted a fair amount.
Bentaleb's passing and use of the ball was good.
Onomah looked decent when involved, but was subbed not long after we equalised.

The bad
-----------------
For starters the pitch at St Mary's was a state, likely due to the recent weather. It was very heavy and bobbly and the ball did not travel across the turf well.
Can't say that any of the others did much to impress. Sonupe was perhaps another bright spot, pacy and direct but his first touch did also let him down at times.

A question for the guys who watch more often; If we are looking to develop players for the future, would it not be best to not only have them playing in a system with team mates who are adept at all the roles? My point is more aimed at the likes of Georgiou and Walkes who aren't cut out for the roles they are playing. Does it not hinder their team mates development when said team mates have to accomodate for their unsuitablity for the role. If you play in a side where the AM isn't looking for the ball in the right places then you are going to find another solution, which may in turn lead to you not assessing your options properly during a development phase. Would you then become a selfish senior player who doesn't use his team mates because of never learning to do so when younger.

I've just watched the last 20 minutes of the U21 game, so I have a limited amount to say on it. At that stage we were 1-0 down, but Bentaleb equalised after finishing a decent counter that he started, involving both Onomah and Sonupe. The U21's do play a different game to the senior side, there is no Dier sitting deep and giving the midfield more freedom to push high and control from there. It looked like more of a double pivot in which neither Bentaleb nor Winks looked defensively solid.

The good
--------------
CCV and Amos both read play well and intercepted a fair amount.
Bentaleb's passing and use of the ball was good.
Onomah looked decent when involved, but was subbed not long after we equalised.

The bad
-----------------
For starters the pitch at St Mary's was a state, likely due to the recent weather. It was very heavy and bobbly and the ball did not travel across the turf well.
Can't say that any of the others did much to impress. Sonupe was perhaps another bright spot, pacy and direct but his first touch did also let him down at times.

A question for the guys who watch more often; If we are looking to develop players for the future, would it not be best to not only have them playing in a system with team mates who are adept at all the roles? My point is more aimed at the likes of Georgiou and Walkes who aren't cut out for the roles they are playing. Does it not hinder their team mates development when said team mates have to accomodate for their unsuitablity for the role. If you play in a side where the AM isn't looking for the ball in the right places then you are going to find another solution, which may in turn lead to you not assessing your options properly during a development phase. Would you then become a selfish senior player who doesn't use his team mates because of never learning to do so when younger.

Typically we'd have either Lesniak or Amos holding but that went out of the window with Bentaleb coming into the side. In terms of cohesion, possession and pressing from the front it was the best I've seen from this side in a while, not to mention the quality in general but that was to be expected with Bentaleb/Winks/Onomah in the team. Watching just the last 20 minutes wouldn't have given you that impression though as they don't have the energy levels to maintain that over 90 minutes so we'd understandably dropped off by the time you tuned in. First half KWP was all over them from RB, very similar to what we saw from Trippier and Davies at the weekend, he was also denied the most stonewall penalty you're ever likely to see.

As a fan and a bit of an idealist I'd rather see perfect unity throughout all age groups but then I'm not responsible for the development of a group of young players. Ugo prefers to use the core squad of players available to him and put them in less than ideal situations in order to challenge them and thus theoretically aid their development, like you said though it can have a knock-on effect on other players.

I think my ideals are more coloured by the U21 side I watched years ago featuring Kane, Carroll, Pritchard, Ceballos and Bentaleb. There was a real fluidity to the play and all the players seemed to be well drilled and knowing when to move where, playing some really nice football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back